Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Danville
    My wish list is close.
    1) Glock 26 Gen4 - I have this one
    2) Remington 870 Express Tactical 12ga 18" Ghost Ring Sights - Want List
    3) Ruger 7722 All-Weather 22LR, Stainless, Black Syn Rec K7722-RP - Want List
    4) Spike's Tactical 16" Mid LE w/9" BAR Rail & FSP - Want List
    5) KAR P380 380 2.5 MAT BLK NS 6- Want List

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think I could come up with,

5+ revolvers
    5+ semi-auto handguns
    5+ shotguns
    5+ center-fire rifles
    5+ examples of the same caliber
    5+ barrels (calibers) for one gun

and the list continues

ray d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    I have more than I need just not as many as I want.On the must have list a 50 bmg.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    OK

1. .22LR - Rifle and or pistol (Marlin 25N and Ruger MKIII 22/45 RP)
    would like a Ruger 10/22 also
    Check X 18

2. Shotgun (Mossberg 500 12 Gauge)
    Check

3. Lg Caliber Centerfire Pistol (Springfield XD45 Service Model)
    9mm and above
    Check X 5

4. Back up gun or pocket pistol (Ruger LCP)
    Check

5. AR-15 or AK-47 Looking into getting a AR-15 soon
    Check X 3

I hope this doesn't mean I have to get rid of the rest.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    1. .22LR rifle in action of choice whether it be bolt, semi, lever, pump, etc.

2. 12 gauge shotgun in pump configuration (suggest remington 870 or mossberg 500)

3. small to intermediate rifle cartridge such as 5.56, 7.62x39 in a semi-auto rifle.

4. large caliber rifle in caliber such as .30-06, .303, .308 in any action.

5. Handgun of choice. I would suggest nothing small than 9mm. Auto or revolver your choice. If only have one I would suggest .357mag revolver.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I see a lot moral outrage getting stirred up about one group of people telling others what guns they shouldn't own. Despite all this infringement of personal freedom, there's also never a shortage of opinions about what "every gun owner should have." For every guy saying that you NEED to get a Glock, there's another saying that you NEED to get a 1911. What every gun owner should have is whatever they want and nothing else.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I see a lot moral outrage getting stirred up about one group of people telling others what guns they shouldn't own. Despite all this infringement of personal freedom, there's also never a shortage of opinions about what "every gun owner should have." For every guy saying that you NEED to get a Glock, there's another saying that you NEED to get a 1911. What every gun owner should have is whatever they want and nothing else.

Treat them as suggestions or recommendations, it helps with the moral outrage when suggestions are treated as such. ;)

That said, in no particular order

1. handgun- pistol or revolver, 1911 or plastic gun. 9 mm+, can be used for home defense, defensive carry, or a sidearm if things get real nasty.

2. Intermediate caliber (5.56x45, 7.62x39, 6.8SPC, 5.45x39, etc) semi-auto rifle which accepts detachable magazines. can be used for home defense against multiple attackers, and hunting medium sized animals in Indiana (no DNR). Likely the "go-to" defensive weapon if SHTF (ie LA riots, katrina, etc.)

3. 12 gauge shotgun- pump, semi-auto, either works. can be used for hunting and home defense

4. .22 LR chambered rifle for target practice and it can be used for hunting small game.

5. rifle chambered in a full-powered cartridge (7.62x51, 30.06, 7.62x54r, etc.). Really only necesary if you live in rural areas and envision a need for additional power in a battle rifle, or the need for a hunting rifle.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In order to meet the absolute bare necessities, a list should include a center-fire bolt action rifle. :)

Funny thing what mornings do to your memory. When I read this, I thought: 'Gee, that's where I'm coming up short. I have no bolt action center fire rifle'. Then, I remembered the Mosins, Mausers and a K31, so I guess I'm covered.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I personally believe every American Citizen should at the bear minimum be required by law to own:
    .22 rifle
    shotgun
    mid to long range rifle
    handgun
    Aside from the .22, caliber is not a concern to me as long as the owner is comfortable with it.

Or, as an absolute bare minimum, a Mosin Nagant. And a handgun. And a shotgun too. Never mind, I think you had it right the first time.

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill

First off i would like to quote my original post

"5 guns every gun owner should have. this is just my opinion and i'll list what i have in that category. looking for others opinion on this. thanks"

I'm new to this forum so i would like to say i'm sorry for all the "MORAL OUTRAGE" that i may have caused by posting this, i guess Controversial subject. I joined under the impression that this forum was for people from Indiana that have a passion for firearms and like to discuss, share there opinion, there knowledge and experiences with others about firearms. If that's not what this forum is about then i'll find a new one that fits that description. For the people that read and comprehended what i was saying and asking i appreciate your replies and your opinion. For the people who experienced the "MORAL OUTRAGE" or any outrage about this post, my opinion for you is maybe take a break from the internet and study up on reading comprehension & maybe seek some help for your outrage about someone stating there opinion and asking for others opinions. I never once said that those are the only 5 guns someone should own or that 5 is all you can own. I never said you had to own any certain type or brand or caliber, i just stated my opinion on what i thought was 5 types of guns that would make a nice start to a collection.

Last edited:

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill
    my last post wasn't directly at him, its more at anyone who gets angry or outraged by peoples opinion. This is a forum, thats what forums are about. Discussing and sharing info from people based on opinion, knowledge, and experience with the subject matter of the forum. I'm not here to fight or argue, i'm here to meet people,make friends and share my knowledge & experiences with others that enjoy the same things i'm into.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Chill Dude. Your list was very interesting, BUT you missed a entire catigory of wonderful firearms. USGI MILSURP. I see some guys like the Russian guns ( I also have mosin 91/30 , model 38 and model 44) but for the pure shooting fun of having a piece of history in your hands nothing beats USGI Milsurp M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, 1903 Springfield or model 1917. Add one ,or more of these babies to your collection and you will see what I mean

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    We're just busting your chops, man, it's all in fun. You're in a good place. Not givin ya noogies, though.

I do like to have a thing or three to fire any of the common mil/LE calibers I may have occasion to liberate if things become too interesting, but then I have a couple of other things. Wound up with a deal on a 7mmRM rifle that I couldn't pass up, for example, but that's like trying to feed a teenage boy. Got one of those, too, so I know of what I speak :)

Top Bottom