• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Many abused children and rape victims Ect go on to higher education. Not sure what your points are for bringing that up other than you think your method somehow made your kid smarter? Good parenting doesn't always lead to a child succeeding or being a good citizen nor does abuse always define them. But I can tell you for certain that a child that is abused never forgets it.

Okay, I get it. A child who was truly abused is much different than one who was disciplined. I KNOW that I was disciplined because my parents loved me and my actions made that correction necessary. If a child is beat upon for nonsensical reasons and knows that to be the case, it can cause a great deal of damage.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't know what you experience but my sister and I were abused and I don't care what statistics say. It was abuse and I've made sure I never even come close to that with my child

I figured that was the case and I'm sorry that happened. Still, abuse and correction are two different actions and because you experienced abuse doesn't mean all parents who spank their children are abusive.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Okay, I get it. A child who was truly abused is much different than one who was disciplined. I KNOW that I was disciplined because my parents loved me and my actions made that correction necessary. If a child is beat upon for nonsensical reasons and knows that to be the case, it can cause a great deal of damage.

I've been kind of poking the bear in the eye for a reason. True abuse is a case investigation. There are few "smoking gun" signs. They must all be taken into account. My father was abused. He was beaten until blood ran from multiple wounds. He was picked up by his hair and punched in the face. He was forced to work as a grade schooler with loads his body could not handle and still suffers from it. He left home at age 16 to escape the abuse, married my mother and a year later I was born. The only discipline he ever knew was to strike and strike hard. His version of discipline was still mild abuse - way less than his father delt out - but still over the line. Immediately my mother and her parents stepped in and taught my father how to discipline. From that point on, he disciplined at a proper level for the age and I've never doubted his love. Was the early account abuse? Yes...and no. It's all he knew. Is what Adrian delt all he knew? I don't know. Was it abuse? It sure looks like it, but there's more to learn and more to consider before judgment. As it stands, if all we know is all there is to know, Adrian appears to be an abusive parent.

Trig, I could tell you much more about the types of abuse I've dealt with in my extended family, but the only point germane here is abuse is a tough call and before we start making blanket statements and throwing out judgment like beat the abuser we'd best be very, very sure.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I figured that was the case and I'm sorry that happened. Still, abuse and correction are two different actions and because you experienced abuse doesn't mean all parents who spank their children are abusive.
    Thank you. But I refuse to let that define me as a whole because if it did they would in my mind have won.
    i spank my kid. I tried not to but a good butt whoopin works and is necessary sometimes. I'm not denying that. I'm talking about mark like what this child in these pictures has. I'm not talking about an accidental skin break due to a ring accidently catching the skin, or a mark because the child jerked before the impact which cause you to be off the target zone, ect
    im talking about what we see in these pictures. I've had to pick my own switch and I don't know how that method could not result in marks that last a few days.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    When I was young, my dad had a saying, "when you feel the heat, you see the light". A lot of times, those words were all it took to get me back in line. Sometimes, I was dumb enough to test the theory. The curtain rod story? I got quite a few bruises from that, and I deserved every single one. One thing my dad always did, and I did the same with my children, is sat me down, explained why I had what was coming, spank me, and then immediately hug me and tell me he loved me. I got quite a few welts and bruises, I deserved every single one, and I never wondered if my parents were abusive.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I don't know what you experience but my sister and I were abused and I don't care what statistics say. It was abuse and I've made sure I never even come close to that with my child

I'd like to also make clear I'm not talking sexual abuse, but physical abuse. There's a zero tolerance for sexual abuse in my thinking and if it were up to me - once proven beyond doubt - I'd be fine with execution for such crimes. There's just no room for it. Physical abuse is a case study as I've already discussed. It's a touchy subject that requires the right people and the right skills to deal with it. My mother's parents - my grand parents - were absolutely amazing at teaching my father how to be a proper father and discipline correctly.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd like to also make clear I'm not talking sexual abuse, but physical abuse. There's a zero tolerance for sexual abuse in my thinking and if it were up to me - once proven beyond doubt - I'd be fine with execution for such crimes. There's just no room for it. Physical abuse is a case study as I've already discussed. It's a touchy subject that requires the right people and the right skills to deal with it. My mother's parents - my grand parents - were absolutely amazing at teaching my father how to be a proper father and discipline correctly.
    We weren't sexually abused thankfully, but I agree sexual abusers should be executed

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is discusting and abuse cut and dry! A bully adult coward acting out of rage rather than actin out of a love for the child and using controlled dicipline as a teaching moment, but instead picking on a defenseless child!

It doesn't really matter what any of us went through as children or whether today out parents would be in jail by today's standards or not.
    yes the world is a different place thanit used to be but child abuse has and always will be the same! If you leave marks or especialy break the skin it's abuse and you deserve to be beaten yourself and put in jail and required to take anger management and classes on how to parent, and hopefully you learn and can be a good parent in the future.
    i am NOT against spankings. Look at the pictures before you just blindly respond to this thread and then be bold enough to say that kind of punishment is appropriate on a todler.

How can you claim to know his state of mind? How do you know he's acting out of rage? Were you there? Do you think that only an enraged person could punish their child in this way?

Unless any new information becomes available that says otherwise, I think he believes he was properly administering punishment. Though I do think this is abuse in effect, it was not abuse in intent. In other words, he went too far with his punishment in practice, but I don't think he has some kind of psychological hangup that makes him beat his kids.

He grew up in the south, and that's just how past generations did things. My mom gave me a few whippings with a willow switch, and she was never enraged when she did it. It's just what was done. So I don't think the known facts give you a clear path to inferring a rage induced beating.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    How can you claim to know his state of mind? How do you know he's acting out of rage? Were you there? Do you think that only an enraged person could punish their child in this way?

Unless any new information becomes available that says otherwise, I think he believes he was properly administering punishment. Though I do think this is abuse in effect, it was not abuse in intent. In other words, he went too far with his punishment in practice, but I don't think he has some kind of psychological hangup that makes him beat his kids.

He grew up in the south, and that's just how past generations did things. My mom gave me a few whippings with a willow switch, and she was never enraged when she did it. It's just what was done. So I don't think the known facts give you a clear path to inferring a rage induced beating.

Kind of interesting that you start with asking how Trigger can claim to know his state of mind and then tell us what you think he believes as he was hitting his child.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Kind of interesting that you start with asking how Trigger can claim to know his state of mind and then tell us what you think he believes as he was hitting his child.

I didn't cite my reasons for why I think this way because we've already discussed that. Those aren't my thoughts. The police released statements to the effect of what I said so I have no reason to believe otherwise, unless some new information comes out.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't claim to be perfect or always right but I did give my opinion on this matter because it strikes a nerve. Children can't defend themselves and ... Nevermind I can't won't go further into this it's a painful subject. I just wish all children a loving and non abusive home to grow up in. We all know that's not reality because there are true monsters among us in this world.
    Sorry if I judged anyone here. Like I said it's just a close to home topic.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Interesting that the liberal media glorifies the likes of Trayvon Martin and then villifies Peterson for doing what anyone in Society with 1/2 a brain wants him doing: preventing the next Trayvon Martin, William Brown, etc. Peterson did nothing wrong but the leftist elite, who have completely taken over thinking in this country, cannot have proper parenting destroying what they have worked so hard to build.

Peterson is a hero to society. Sadly, he's not likely to get rewarded for being so.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't claim to be perfect or always right but I did give my opinion on this matter because it strikes a nerve. Children can't defend themselves and ... Nevermind I can't won't go further into this it's a painful subject. I just wish all children a loving and non abusive home to grow up in. We all know that's not reality because there are true monsters among us in this world.
    Sorry if I judged anyone here. Like I said it's just a close to home topic.

I have a relative who's mom died when she was young and the step mother was abusive. I wish I'd have known what was going on. I still feel guilty that it went on the rest of her childhood and I had no idea. I think if I'd have known I'd have been able to stop it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What kind of "hero" does this to his 4 year old son? No wonder we're headed down the toilet.
    0912-adrian-peterson-son-injuries-5.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Where are the libertarians proclaiming children are the personal property of the parents with the state having no interest in them... I know I have read it many times here on the INGO.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom