• Poll closed .

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The Sten is a fun build. If you are interested in one I'd get it soon. They are getting harder to find. I wish I'd have picked up another MK5 when Apex had them. Indianapolis Ordnance has a great semi auto kit. It's not a bad build. I need to weld my Mk3. I am waiting on my buddy to get his tig setup going. The mig was a little over kill. If it doesn't happen soon I'll mig this one too.
    I have a tig too. We need to become friends :): I just don't have all the experience with building like you. I'd love to start. I have the time and tools

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have three AK's to put together but would like to see it happen near me at least, less than an hour drive from Terre Haute.

I am happy to bring a 20 ton A-frame press but that is all I have to add. Also would appreciate help from those who have been at this recently since it has been some 15 years since I built one. Mine are ready to build too, all stubs and such are gone and I have rivets. Mine all have barrels as well so not garb port and other stuff to deal with...

I have built some 50 AK's a few 1919's, three FALs, five G3's and a couple tube guns but not recently.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a tig too. We need to become friends :): I just don't have all the experience with building like you. I'd love to start. I have the time and tools

Tig? did you say tig my old buddy :-D I'd love to connect with another builder. I love this stuff! I am not extremely experienced but I am clever as hell. That's nearly the same thing right? I have some Sten builds under my belt without any issues. I have built a bunch of AR's including 80% receivers. I have done it all on my own. Well not really. The internet has been my friend. If you want to do some one on one projects I'd be up for that too. NP. Did I mention that I have a 3:1 lathe mill that isn't to hard to travel. I have a fair amount of tooling. It has a DRO and should be the bomb for drilling barrel pins! And about anything else. the lathe is limited to 3/4 inch diameter so it's iffy for barrel work. I am picking up a South bend 9 inch lathe for that but it's not so portable. PM me if you have any ideals.

I have three AK's to put together but would like to see it happen near me at least, less than an hour drive from Terre Haute.

I am happy to bring a 20 ton A-frame press but that is all I have to add. Also would appreciate help from those who have been at this recently since it has been some 15 years since I built one. Mine are ready to build too, all stubs and such are gone and I have rivets. Mine all have barrels as well so not garb port and other stuff to deal with...

I have built some 50 AK's a few 1919's, three FALs, five G3's and a couple tube guns but not recently.

50 builds! Even if your rusty it it would be great to have you there. Please follow along to see how this works out.

I am at page 47 of the last AK build party thread. What a wealth of knowledge. Hopefully we can get some of the guru's from that build party.

I hope I don't get jumpy and just build mine ahead of time. I can get a second kit though, My boy wants one so.... Plus I might be more help if I had one under my belt. or if I F'd it up I could bring it to straighten out :)

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Rusty as in a really long time since I built one and if it makes a difference, I have even made them from receiver flats. I used to be a gunsmilth. had to stop when my neuropathy got too bad for me to do stuff comfortably. I left all my building tools with my partner as well as he got an FFL and I let mine go. We were 07 SOT back then....

This has to be either near me or someone who is near me drive me. I have a serious back problem so I either get to take my pain meds or stay nearby...

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Got flat bender, press, TIG welder, Bridgeport , lathe , sandblaster, parkerizing tanks etc... Doesn't everybody :dunno:

And and I never built an AK, but lots of other cool stuff

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Got flat bender, press, TIG welder, Bridgeport , lathe , sandblaster, parkerizing tanks etc... Doesn't everybody :dunno:

And and I never built an AK, but lots of other cool stuff

Now your just bragging! :-P So... can we count you in if we do get a build party? It would be great! I don't expect that your setup would be portable. NP. But the bending jigs would be a plus to have.

Jsmrussell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Clay is one of the gurus that has more knowledge of AK weapons than anyone I know. I just got a z12 ton press I'd be happy to bring and some barrel threading dies and punches. Hope this AK party happens the first one was great.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Rusty as in a really long time since I built one and if it makes a difference, I have even made them from receiver flats. I used to be a gunsmilth. had to stop when my neuropathy got too bad for me to do stuff comfortably. I left all my building tools with my partner as well as he got an FFL and I let mine go. We were 07 SOT back then....

This has to be either near me or someone who is near me drive me. I have a serious back problem so I either get to take my pain meds or stay nearby...

Spinal Stenosis and Facet Disease in my back so I know how you feel. I try to avoid the pain meds but somedays you can't. If I want to go somewhere and do something I skip them. If this happens to far from home I will get a motel. I would not be adverse to sharing if someone needs to travel far like me. Lets see what happens.

if it wasn't so late in life and my health would permit i'd love to get in to gunsmithing. I envy your career! Although I was in electronics and many would like to have done that too. I can do it as a hobby now.

Clay is one of the gurus that has more knowledge of AK weapons than anyone I know. I just got a z12 ton press I'd be happy to bring and some barrel threading dies and punches. Hope this AK party happens the first one was great.

I'll have to send him a message. I hope he and some of the other gurus would spot this post and chime in. it is looking like there is some interest. I am hopeful someone with a lot more experience will chime in and take the lead :-)

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You might also contact Duffman0286. I know he attended the last build party, and has put together some really cool stuff. Also might contact VUPDBlue about using the clubhouse @ Marion Fish & Game. It was a perfect spot, and I don't believe they charged for use of the clubhouse.

I know we bent several flats, but seems like we didn't heat treat any at the party. I just used a torch and oil bath for my last one and worked well, but I'm sure there's better methods.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    OK. I cant take it anymore. I have a couple AK kits to build myself. I have eveything needed including 100% receiver (Nodakspud). Ive got a romy and a yugo underfolder to do.
    There is a really nice article in the current Shotgun News TREASURY ISSUE --Displayed until 8/25/14 (Has a midwest ind. AR15 on the cover) on building an AK from a flat all the way to doing the rivets all with just a punch and some bucking bars. I can bring a portable blasting cabinet with air compressor, 12ton (i think maybe 20) press, AR assembly tools and whatever else I buy before the build party! I also have a sweet scope mount drilling jig for use on rifles and shotguns (it center itself).
    Ill just rub in the fact that I got my AK parts kits in 2007 for $130 ! :alcoholic:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    OK. I cant take it anymore. I have a couple AK kits to build myself. I have eveything needed including 100% receiver (Nodakspud). Ive got a romy and a yugo underfolder to do.
    There is a really nice article in the current Shotgun News TREASURY ISSUE --Displayed until 8/25/14 (Has a midwest ind. AR15 on the cover) on building an AK from a flat all the way to doing the rivets all with just a punch and some bucking bars. I can bring a portable blasting cabinet with air compressor, 12ton (i think maybe 20) press, AR assembly tools and whatever else I buy before the build party! I also have a sweet scope mount drilling jig for use on rifles and shotguns (it center itself).
    Ill just rub in the fact that I got my AK parts kits in 2007 for $130 ! :alcoholic:

$130, :-P I ponied up and paid 400 for mine. It's a Polish fixed stock. It came with a 80% receiver and a new chrome lined Green Mountain barrel. The guy stripped the kit so I don't have to deal with removing rivets. The blueing is great. I'd almost be tempted to just blue the receiver. If I don't I will use the moly coat I have. I am eager to build it. I am going to have a hard time waiting for a build party. I am going to buy a second one so I can always build that at the party. I have watched a ton of youtube videos and read a ton of threads on AK builds on weaponsguild.com. I have seen the posts where the guys have build the kits with really basic stuff. The rails are the only thing I worry about. I can plug weld them instead of spot but dam its easy to blow threw sheet metal with a mig. I can back it with copper and probably get away with it. I guess I'd like to go in to the party with one build under my belt. The waiting is killing me! I am sooo tempted to go buy a Tig welder. I could use it on the Sten's and the PPS's :-) sooo tempting!!!!

I need to subscribe to Shotgun news!! Oh and I just bought another 870 that could use the top drilled for a rail. My Sten still needs blasted too! Oh man...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    for the record, since we're counting, I bought my Polish UF, Tantal and one of the Polish UF I want to make fixed stock for the same sort of money in the 1993-2008 and I have another 5 or so kits left. I had a pallet full of kits, mostly Romy G's that I have been selling when I am broke over the years. I think I have a G3, CETME and a FAL (Stg58) kit left too. Just can't get to the majority of them because I can't clear up my garage with my back the way it is... I also have a few Russian PLO kits and a Bulgy 223 RPK but again, they are in there too.

I just wan to build a few kits, I can get the receivers quick enough, have about twenty flats and plenty of rivets. I have had a good offer to help with the garage but it is only one guy and one can't do it in a day. Can't leave these valuable on the driveway overnight so I need at least one other person. I am in Terre Haute and I am not looking to sell the kits just yet.

So let's get a build party tgether already so we can make some nice, new rifles and **** the liberals off.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    $130, :-P I ponied up and paid 400 for mine. It's a Polish fixed stock. It came with a 80% receiver and a new chrome lined Green Mountain barrel. The guy stripped the kit so I don't have to deal with removing rivets. The blueing is great. I'd almost be tempted to just blue the receiver. If I don't I will use the moly coat I have. I am eager to build it. I am going to have a hard time waiting for a build party. I am going to buy a second one so I can always build that at the party. I have watched a ton of youtube videos and read a ton of threads on AK builds on weaponsguild.com. I have seen the posts where the guys have build the kits with really basic stuff. The rails are the only thing I worry about. I can plug weld them instead of spot but dam its easy to blow threw sheet metal with a mig. I can back it with copper and probably get away with it. I guess I'd like to go in to the party with one build under my belt. The waiting is killing me! I am sooo tempted to go buy a Tig welder. I could use it on the Sten's and the PPS's :-) sooo tempting!!!!

I need to subscribe to Shotgun news!! Oh and I just bought another 870 that could use the top drilled for a rail. My Sten still needs blasted too! Oh man...
    The Shotgun News Issue I mentioned is on the magazine racks at Walmart, etc. right now! Its the $6.99 issue with a dark cover (not the newspaper looking issue).

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Your welcome to borrow the bending jig, just let me know where and when to send it
    I will for sure if this happens and if not I will anyway if you wi loan it to me.
    The Shotgun News Issue I mentioned is on the magazine racks at Walmart, etc. right now! Its the $6.99 issue with a dark cover (not the newspaper looking issue).
    I will look for it too. Why not keep myself up to date...

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    As mentioned above, hopefully duffman can come! He was a big help last party! A subscription to shotgun news is great, and I'll continue to do it, but they are mostly the same and I have stacks of them around my house. My wife despises that magazine.... :). Pretty impressed so far with the possible attendance!

Top Bottom