• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Your welcome to borrow the bending jig, just let me know where and when to send it

30cal - I'm just down SR 32 from you in Noblesville. I'll PM you.

As we said last time, do the heat treating before the party if you want to use that receiver to build on. Just look up the MAPP torch and oil bath method. Now, if someone had a kiln or heat treatment oven, that could be a party in itself and we could work on full receiver hardening.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Shotgun News Issue I mentioned is on the magazine racks at Walmart, etc. right now! Its the $6.99 issue with a dark cover (not the newspaper looking issue).

I have a trip to make to Walmart this evening. I will look for it!

Your welcome to borrow the bending jig, just let me know where and when to send it

Thank you! I will gladly pay all the shipping cost and be responsible for it's return.

30cal - I'm just down SR 32 from you in Noblesville. I'll PM you.

As we said last time, do the heat treating before the party if you want to use that receiver to build on. Just look up the MAPP torch and oil bath method. Now, if someone had a kiln or heat treatment oven, that could be a party in itself and we could work on full receiver hardening.

It is looking like we might do this at Triggertimes place. Noblesville is sort of on the way for me. We'll see how my travel situation works out. If I can I will pick you up.

On heat treating, I read that a lot of the guys to it after the drilling. They say it is easier to drill? And that whole heat treating can warp the receiver if not done correctly. They claim that the FCG holes and the rails (primarily the ejector tip) are all that are needed. I am no expert on this. I will be interested in others thoughts?

In talking with Triggertime, it sounds like 10 builders would work out at his place. We'd kind of like to keep it to serious builders so we can get a lot done. Not really be a party type atmosphere. Those are fun too but not a lot of work gets done. We'll have food and drink. Sorry but no booze. I am not e tea teetotaler. It's just that guns and booze don't mix. I think we can agree on that.

I will do threw the thread and make a list of those that have expressed a interest and volunteered tools. You can check yourself s off if you decide to drop out. We can make a list of what we can do, Drilling riveting, bending and so forth. That way guys can figure out what they will have left to do when they get home.

This should be fun! I look forward to meeting you guys. It's always cool to put a name with a face. those that are coming should get there kits and parts ready! If you can strip your kits ahead of time that's a plus. More time to build and trouble shoot. If you can't that's ok. Maybe we can make this happen later in July? Let's toss some dates around.

I am free after the second week in July. I am having surgery next week and I'd like at least a few weeks to regroup/recoup. We will all need time to source what we need (well maybe not Warthog, lucky SOB lol :) It might help to post leaded on parts and kits.

Let's do this!

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    for the record, since we're counting, I bought my Polish UF, Tantal and one of the Polish UF I want to make fixed stock for the same sort of money in the 1993-2008 and I have another 5 or so kits left. I had a pallet full of kits, mostly Romy G's that I have been selling when I am broke over the years. I think I have a G3, CETME and a FAL (Stg58) kit left too. Just can't get to the majority of them because I can't clear up my garage with my back the way it is... I also have a few Russian PLO kits and a Bulgy 223 RPK but again, they are in there too.

I just wan to build a few kits, I can get the receivers quick enough, have about twenty flats and plenty of rivets. I have had a good offer to help with the garage but it is only one guy and one can't do it in a day. Can't leave these valuable on the driveway overnight so I need at least one other person. I am in Terre Haute and I am not looking to sell the kits just yet.

So let's get a build party tgether already so we can make some nice, new rifles and **** the liberals off.

You lucky dog! I'd love to have had the foresight to have bought the kits long ago. If and when you go decide to sell any kits I'd love a chance to buy one or a few. I am hooked on building. It's way to much fun. I'd like to do a FAL or a RPK someday. And I try to **** off libs every chance I get :-)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    On heat treating, I read that a lot of the guys to it after the drilling. They say it is easier to drill? And that whole heat treating can warp the receiver if not done correctly. They claim that the FCG holes and the rails (primarily the ejector tip) are all that are needed. I am no expert on this. I will be interested in others thoughts?

Yes, you don't drill through hardened steel. Your bits won't like it and you want the inside lip heated too. Bend and weld first. The FCG holes and ejector are most important. And yes, warping is an issue with full heat treating.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yes, you don't drill through hardened steel. Your bits won't like it and you want the inside lip heated too. Bend and weld first. The FCG holes and ejector are most important. And yes, warping is an issue with full heat treating.

Thanks for confirming that. I have drilled hardened steel or should I say attempted.

I guess if you have a jig to hold the receiver square it might work for heat treating. The next issue I hear about it oxidation while heat treating the complete receiver. I guess they use a non flammable gas in the chamber. I have a lead on a oven. I just don't think it is worth my time for just the few projects.

I do have some bolts (not the hardware kind) I need to have annealed. I need to drill them for a firing pin. They have a fixed firing pin. Boy is that going to a a learning experience! So much to learn. Luckily the bolts do not need to be reheat treated.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Ok, I am trying to figure the "needs" out. Feel free to add and remove things. PM me if you are for sure interested.

Place and a welder & some vices: Triggertime has graciously stepped forward with the offer of those! (Can't say thanks enough) I am going to let him come up with a date and we will work around it.

Press: Thewabbit and Jmsrussel (Thanks)

Barrel pressing jig:

Barrel threading: Jmsrussel (Thanks)

Bending jigs: 30calmachinegunner has offered use (Thanks!)

Die grinder:

Drill press: I have a small one and several others have offered. A few of those would be great.

Head spacing gauges:

Riveting: Psode22 has the stuff (Thanks)

Sand blasting: Remauto1187 (Thanks) and bring your scope jig! :-)

Spot welder: Thewabbit

I have a tap and die set I can bring.

Jobs:
    Pressing barrel pins: Sgtonory has offered to help with doing that.

Barrel threading Jmsrussel

Builders:
    Airborne18th
    Psode22
    Remauto1187
    Thewabbit
    Triggertime
    Warthog
    1911ly

There are some experienced builders in this group but we can use a few more!

If I for got something or someone remind me!

Thanks

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You can ride with me. Im not far from you.
    if there is room for my press, I can bring one as well.... 20 ton A-Frame

Thanks for the ride Remauto1187! :)

I must wait until after payday to get the receivers, please don't do this before next weekend....

For the flats someone should also have a drill press for some of the holes, dependng on where you got the flat they aren't all drilled. I can bring bits but my drill press is kaput.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a small drill press. If i get the fuel pump changed on my van I can bring my mini mill. I am going to buy the right reamers for all the holes too. We have hole drilling covered.

This won't happen till after middle of July most likely so you have time. I still have things to order too. So you have time!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have a small drill press. If i get the fuel pump changed on my van I can bring my mini mill. I am going to buy the right reamers for all the holes too. We have hole drilling covered.

This won't happen till after middle of July most likely so you have time. I still have things to order too. So you have time!

Someone go help change this man's fuel pump! One word...MINIMILL!

Confirmed- Ill bring the sandblasting cabinet/compressor/media Small drill press up to the task for our needs. The scope mount jig will be with me. All my AR specialized tools just in case someone needs to use them.
    Ill cover transportation for Warthog since he lives fairly close to me and it seems it will work better for him concerning his back.
    Warthog's 20ton press if needed might fit in my Tahoe. Ill have to PM for dimensions. Will we need it there? I do have a press also but Im pretty sure it is a 12ton but I know it will fit in my Tahoe with all my other stuff that I am bringing.
    Middle July works for me.

We will need a all thread setup for drawing barrels back in to the trunion for barrel installation. Ill look around for the parts to make a setup.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I got the press at Harbor Freight, it's a stand up version. I appreciate the ride for sure.
    I will PM you my coordinates and pone number so we can be in touch as the date approaches.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ok, I am trying to figure the "needs" out. Feel free to add and remove things. PM me if you are for sure interested.

Place and a welder & some vices: Triggertime has graciously stepped forward with the offer of those! (Can't say thanks enough) I am going to let him come up with a date and we will work around it.

Barrel pressing jig:

Die grinder:

Drill press: I have a small one and several others have offered. A few of those would be great.

Head spacing gauges:

Jobs:

Builders:
    Airborne18th
    Psode22
    Remauto1187
    Thewabbit
    Triggertime
    Warthog
    1911ly

There are some experienced builders in this group but we can use a few more!

If I for got something or someone remind me!

Thanks
    I have 3 hand die grinders. 2 air and one electric. Also a bench grinder and a bench grinder/buffer. Also have a big enough compressor to run air tools and blow out or off metal pieces.

also I have a drill press

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Also I'll probably buy a press before the event so we will have a couple running if others bring one or two. That way we don't get a line of people waiting on one tool. This is gonna be a sweet event! I can't wait to meet everyone and build some guns!!!!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have 3 hand die grinders. 2 air and one electric. Also a bench grinder and a bench grinder/buffer. Also have a big enough compressor to run air tools and blow out or off metal pieces.

Those grinders will be nice, I will bring my Saiga 223 that I need to remove the rear from the receiver and rivet in a regular trunnion. It sounds like there will be a nice selection of tooling and I am also hoping jigs for barrel pressing, trigger guard riveting and of course riveting in general. If this will be far enough off I can geet some of my old stiff for the weekend from my old smith partner.

One thing I could bring is a stainless tank to do refinishing/parkerizing. I don't have anything but the tank though and maybe some solution IF it is good to use yet. I haven't done anything like that though for a while and my memory sux so...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Those grinders will be nice, I will bring my Saiga 223 that I need to remove the rear from the receiver and rivet in a regular trunnion. It sounds like there will be a nice selection of tooling and I am also hoping jigs for barrel pressing, trigger guard riveting and of course riveting in general. If this will be far enough off I can geet some of my old stiff for the weekend from my old smith partner.

One thing I could bring is a stainless tank to do refinishing/parkerizing. I don't have anything but the tank though and maybe some solution IF it is good to use yet. I haven't done anything like that though for a while and my memory sux so...

The more tools the better! And the faster things should go. Having the stuff to do Parkerizing would be up to Triggertime. It's chemicals so it's totally his call. It would be cool I admit. I have no clue on how to do it or the chemicals needed. I am going to have to do some research. I'd like to learn how to park and blue!

I'll and grinders & air to the list!
    --
    I am going to inventory my kit tonight and order anything I might need. I'll get extra rivets and drill bits and reamers. Not needing to buy tooling saves a lot on the budget! A big thanks to all of you providing tooling! it's much appreciated.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Update:

Feel free to add and remove things. PM me or trigger time or just post it here with changes.

Air compresser & bolt down tools: Triggertime (Thanks)

Barrel pressing jig:

Die grinder: Triggertime (Thanks)

Head spacing gauges:

Jobs:

Builders:
    Airborne18th
    Psode22
    Remauto1187
    Thewabbit
    Triggertime
    Warthog
    1911ly

There are some experienced builders in this group but we can use a few more. If I for got something or someone remind me.

Thanks, And if someone else wants to jump in please do!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Attended the last build party and have amassed some of the Toth tools but not a complete set. I have two kits needing headspacing and riveted and will definitely attend. I had my receivers fully heat treated and have some warpage and will need some "expert" consultation to get completed. I like the idea of parking for those who want it. Has anybody here have any experience duracoting? Might be an option if we are going for the complete deal? I just need a date and I'm there. I did think the Sunday deal worked pretty well last time. Let's get it done this time!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Attended the last build party and have amassed some of the Toth tools but not a complete set. I have two kits needing headspacing and riveted and will definitely attend. I had my receivers fully heat treated and have some warpage and will need some "expert" consultation to get completed. I like the idea of parking for those who want it. Has anybody here have any experience duracoting? Might be an option if we are going for the complete deal? I just need a date and I'm there. I did think the Sunday deal worked pretty well last time. Let's get it done this time!
    If you bring the duracoat I have the stuff (sprayer, proper compressor, Ect) to put it on.

Top Bottom