• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I think that this a great show in two respects.

1. What not to do, and
    2. Show and tell of some of the more interesting items in private collections.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Holy crap. Just to be correctly objective, I watched one of the linked episodes. After 5 minutes of viewing, I wouldn't get these idiots change my oil, let alone build me a firearm. Checking headspace before test firing a build? Nahhh.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    OK, a little backstory. Took a SA 1911 to Rich, and he had the gun a YEAR. When I finally got it back from him the checkering job I gave it to him for was totally botched and the plating job didn't have an even coating and was not even what I wanted it plated with. Fast forward two years just after the .480 Ruger cartridge was released and I ran into him at a fun show at the Denver Merchandise Mart. He tried to tell me that "I wasn't a man because I didn't want to own a .480 Ruger" and that only "real men" could handle the cartridge. Fast forward 3 years and he's trying to sell me an NRA membership (of which I'm a life member) and that I must not care about the Constitution because I wouldn't buy a 1 year membership from him.
    To say he's a used douche is a bit of an understatement as far as I'm concerned. In the Denver area he's looked on as an idiot with a real big mouth.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    OK, a little backstory. Took a SA 1911 to Rich, and he had the gun a YEAR. When I finally got it back from him the checkering job I gave it to him for was totally botched and the plating job didn't have an even coating and was not even what I wanted it plated with. Fast forward two years just after the .480 Ruger cartridge was released and I ran into him at a fun show at the Denver Merchandise Mart. He tried to tell me that "I wasn't a man because I didn't want to own a .480 Ruger" and that only "real men" could handle the cartridge. Fast forward 3 years and he's trying to sell me an NRA membership (of which I'm a life member) and that I must not care about the Constitution because I wouldn't buy a 1 year membership from him.
    To say he's a used douche is a bit of an understatement as far as I'm concerned. In the Denver area he's looked on as an idiot with a real big mouth.

...with a camera crew following him and his duckfaced wife around...

:laugh:

Glad to know he's a jackass and this is all just editing magic. $4000 to re-caliber a rifle? WHY?!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If I only had five bucks for every time someone *****ed about American Guns, and or Sons of Guns. It's very simple, and some just do not get it. For shows to get ratings and stay on the air, there has to be drama. So many people will not watch TV without drama. It's what sales, and it's sad. If they relied on just the hard core gun enthusiast's for ratings, neither show would exist. If you do not like the show, don't watch it, problem solved.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    Ok, I admit that I watch the shows now and then. I find the various weapons interesting and I have seen some weapons that I had never heard of before.
    But on the episode of the OP.
    Did the guy get really hammered on his trade-in or is that about normal?
    I've never traded in a firearm before but that seemed pretty low to me.
    Also do you think the producers help the clients foot the bill for appearing on the show?

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    If I only had five bucks for every time someone *****ed about American Guns, and or Sons of Guns. It's very simple, and some just do not get it. For shows to get ratings and stay on the air, there has to be drama. So many people will not watch TV without drama. It's what sales, and it's sad. If they relied on just the hard core gun enthusiast's for ratings, neither show would exist. If you do not like the show, don't watch it, problem solved.

And I don't watch it because I know the man. I have no problem with his being on TV, I figure if you're VERY bored then watch. I just wouldn't EVER think about doing business with him... For ANY reason... Ever... Anywhere

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    I keep watching in hopes of side boob.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHHlGNUiB8

Every show is the same. I can already tell you what the next show is about.

Someone will walk in the store and say "hey i've got a really stupid idea and a lot of money" At that point the music will go DUM DUM DUM for dramatic effect.
    The owner will say, "well we can do it for a crap ton of money" The two will then agree on a significant amount of money and there will be a cut scene explaining why Rich was willing to come down in his build price usually something to do with the purchaser loving his dad or being in the military.

He will then go downstairs and explain to the fat guy, the dork, and orville redenbacher the importance of the build and the time constraints as it is realllllly important this guy get his 400lb flint lock cannon/sword/helmet combo in 3 days. The fat guy and the dork will argue for a while and orville redenbacher will tell them he is the head gunsmith. The fat guy will make something unsafe out of wood and an octagonal barrel. Rich will walk downstairs and explain that if he fired that device, it would kick the earth out of rotation send us all cartwheeling into the sun. They will then make something that looks the same with different barrels. At some point the daughter will walk downstairs in a tank top and say something stupid. Popcorn guy, dork and the morbidly obese will act like they give a ****. She will then drive to pick up some crucial part and argue with the seller for a better deal. She will then remark about how it was her dads teachings that got her such a great deal on the part (and not because the guy is a convicted child molester). They will complete the gun and give it to justin bieber who will scratch it with a vibrating nail.

They will then go out to the desert with the owner and unveil his ridiculous purchase and tell him to shoot it at some explosives that have some sort of theme. The owner will blow up a few things. The grande finale (and the part i think i'd hate the most) is when the owner blows up the last item...rich then instantly snatches the thing from the guys hand, gets within 3 inches of his face, and screams HAHAHA!!!

Fast forward to 41:00
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbBwRQOvXOI

fast forward to 41:09
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OGYyBMSxYY&feature=relmfu

hahahahhaha, that is the hilarious and true. Nice choice of characters.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah Vitamink's synopsis is spot on. I especially hate how he always grabs people's guns out of their hands right after they shoot as well. But yeah really it's just like every other stupid reality show, on there for ratings. For me it's just like watching aviation shows where they talk about how the weather's a little less than ideal so everybody's gonna die, or the Russians are gonna come shoot them down if they look at them wrong, etc.. Or just like any corporate "news" outlet for that matter.. Tv is junk, but if I feel like not thinking about anything it does the trick. And I mean Paige is no Mila Kunis, but she's not exactly hard to look at either.

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    I have never understood their taking the guns in to be painted either. I was thinking that surely they would be using some sort of gun coating, but paint???

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    because it requires little to no skill and can be done by monkeys.:D
    I'll debate that one! As a professional painter, I take offense to that! If anyone could do it, (Up to and including monkeys), people wouldn't pay me thousands of dollars to make their cars and bikes look good!
    At least elaborate. Any a-hole can spray paint, but it take considerable skill to make it look good!
    American guns, as well as sons of guns all fall in any a-hole category. I can tell by their lack of technique, that the end product cannot look good at all!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Also do you think the producers help the clients foot the bill for appearing on the show?
    Bingo! That's why the outrageous prices etc fly! Sit at your local gunsmiths shop for a day, a week, hell, a year, and see how many people come in and ask you to build them a $15,000 "Punt" gun! These scenarios just don't happen!

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I'll debate that one! As a professional painter, I take offense to that! If anyone could do it, (Up to and including monkeys), people wouldn't pay me thousands of dollars to make their cars and bikes look good!
    At least elaborate. Any a-hole can spray paint, but it take considerable skill to make it look good!
    American guns, as well as sons of guns all fall in any a-hole category. I can tell by their lack of technique, that the end product cannot look good at all!

calm down chief....i have a body shop and have done paint and body work for quite a long time. I know exactly what you mean. BUT those "paint jobs" they are doing are not the ones like you and I do. I agree painting a car to look good is a different story and custom work is another thing. But the work they do could be done by monkeys. Shoot drunk mentally handycaped monkeys could probly do it just as good if not better than they do.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Never watched the show, but after seeing this I guess I don't have to!

Very well done Sir :yesway:

I keep watching in hopes of side boob.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHHlGNUiB8

Every show is the same. I can already tell you what the next show is about.

Someone will walk in the store and say "hey i've got a really stupid idea and a lot of money" At that point the music will go DUM DUM DUM for dramatic effect.
    The owner will say, "well we can do it for a crap ton of money" The two will then agree on a significant amount of money and there will be a cut scene explaining why Rich was willing to come down in his build price usually something to do with the purchaser loving his dad or being in the military.

He will then go downstairs and explain to the fat guy, the dork, and orville redenbacher the importance of the build and the time constraints as it is realllllly important this guy get his 400lb flint lock cannon/sword/helmet combo in 3 days. The fat guy and the dork will argue for a while and orville redenbacher will tell them he is the head gunsmith. The fat guy will make something unsafe out of wood and an octagonal barrel. Rich will walk downstairs and explain that if he fired that device, it would kick the earth out of rotation send us all cartwheeling into the sun. They will then make something that looks the same with different barrels. At some point the daughter will walk downstairs in a tank top and say something stupid. Popcorn guy, dork and the morbidly obese will act like they give a ****. She will then drive to pick up some crucial part and argue with the seller for a better deal. She will then remark about how it was her dads teachings that got her such a great deal on the part (and not because the guy is a convicted child molester). They will complete the gun and give it to justin bieber who will scratch it with a vibrating nail.

They will then go out to the desert with the owner and unveil his ridiculous purchase and tell him to shoot it at some explosives that have some sort of theme. The owner will blow up a few things. The grande finale (and the part i think i'd hate the most) is when the owner blows up the last item...rich then instantly snatches the thing from the guys hand, gets within 3 inches of his face, and screams HAHAHA!!!

Fast forward to 41:00
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbBwRQOvXOI

fast forward to 41:09
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OGYyBMSxYY&feature=relmfu

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    because it requires little to no skill and can be done by monkeys.:D

I give exhibit A your honor:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/218033-painting_a_pmag.html

:):

Sorry Evan!

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    well lets not forget the pricy cannon ball cannon.. probably 600 in materials max and another 20 hours max.. so a max $2600.. in materials.. if i remember correctly 6k thus a 3400 dollar profit at the very least. Which i guess everything is where the market can bear.

The person was buying some time on TV not so much the guns. Is my guess. If not the place is Highway robbery.

Taking advantage of Gun Noobs by a shop like that.. On National TV is going to A make the store look bad in the long run. B. Make the new gun owner discontent, once friends and others tell him he got screwed.. Etc.

Unless the kids engraving has gotten a million times better since the last time i bothered to watch the show... the guy got ripped off.. I don't know much about scout scopes in general but I do know they are pretty basic..

If you want a gun engraved, for the money take it to a master jeweler. Those people know how to engrave some crazy designs on itty bitty platforms.. just imagine what one could do to a gun! They probably would end up with a truly unique engraving, that wouldn't have to be copied out of some book..

But hey the guy has to pay for diamond encrusted 1911's, some pricey equipment, insurance, A TV Crew,a pyro crew, the light bill, the Helicopter rentals,His daughters birth control, and some strong narcotic sleeping pills so he can sleep well at night.. Give the man a break :-D

he isnt payin any tv crew. He gets paid to be on tv.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom