• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The reason I always go with qd for my ARs is that it doesn't require any tools and I can take it off/put it back on without losing zero. If you're not getting a qd mount, you'll need to keep the allen wrench (or whatever tool you need to remove the rings) with you at all times. Otherwise, what's the point of putting flip-up sights on the rifle if you can't use them?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The reason I always go with qd for my ARs is that it doesn't require any tools and I can take it off/put it back on without losing zero. If you're not getting a qd mount, you'll need to keep the allen wrench (or whatever tool you need to remove the rings) with you at all times. Otherwise, what's the point of putting flip-up sights on the rifle if you can't use them?

Well, I do usually keep a set of allen wrenches in my range bag, I suppose if there were a catastrophic failure with the scope (cracked lense or whatever, then the back up sights would come into play. When I talked to Alan at AA Optics he said the only QD mounts he would recommend would cost more than the scope (I can't remember which brand he mentioned) and as I said up thread, I'm a cheap bastard. :) He was of the opinion that with a regular scope, it's just as well to put it on and forget it. And knowing me, that's probably what I'd be most likely to do.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    And DoggyMama just had me order 6 more P-mags for my birthday. :rockwoot:

Good woman right there!

I have to say just from experience over the years if you start out using the scope on your rifle chances are you wont use the irons at all, but that's just me. So don't worry to much if you don't have a QD mount, chances are you wont want to take the scope off anyway once you get use to shooting with it, lol.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good woman right there!

I have to say just from experience over the years if you start out using the scope on your rifle chances are you wont use the irons at all, but that's just me. So don't worry to much if you don't have a QD mount, chances are you wont want to take the scope off anyway once you get use to shooting with it, lol.

That was kind of my thinking too. But the sight was cheap insurance in case anything were to happen to the scope. My eyes aren't getting any younger and I realize that more and more when I shoot with a scope and then switch to an old Mauser with its tiny little iron sights! :):

And yes, she IS a good woman, but she doesn't know anything about "gun stuff", so it was easier for me to just show her exactly what I wanted. When she asks me what I want for my birthday or Christmas and I start rattling off things I'd like, I get this...

blank_stare.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ha ha I know exactly what you mean. My wife bought me a barrel for my next AR build for my birthday. I tried telling her about it and she said just print me off a picture and the website :laugh:, at least she tries though.

Yea I agree nothing wrong with having it for sure, if something were to happen with the scope you would still have means of using it if you needed to.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Picked up the lower today, but unfortunately the guy that was going to help me put it together is busy this weekend and is going out of town next week. Arrrrrgggggg! :( Went ahead and picked up an Aero Precision mount for the scope from USDS when I picked up the lower, so I'm good to go. Guess I just have to be patient a little longer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Picked up the lower today, but unfortunately the guy that was going to help me put it together is busy this weekend and is going out of town next week. Arrrrrgggggg! :( Went ahead and picked up an Aero Precision mount for the scope from USDS when I picked up the lower, so I'm good to go. Guess I just have to be patient a little longer.

DD.
    I put together my first lower by myself, with no prior knowledge of the AR platform other than shooting one.
    I used a pictorial that I found on AR15.com on how to assemble your own AR lower. There is a separate pictorial for uppers.
    My lower "build" took me all of 45 minutes. No special tools used other than a good punch set and a small brass hammer.

It was fun and informative.
    I did run into one problem. I launched a detent pin into the oblivion that was the other side of the room.
    I didn't really worry about it because I knew I could pick up a replacement in the morning from my local fun shop.

The whole process taught me a lot.
    I also found a trick to keep from losing those tiny little spring-loaded parts. Ever seen one of those "Bed-in-a-bag" sheet sets?
    They come in a nifty little clear vinyl bag that has a zippered top.
    Put the parts on a table and place the bag over top.
    Work with your hands under the bag. If anything does launch, it's caught inside the bag.

I wouldn't be afraid to try to assemble it yourself.
    There is plenty of instruction online and it's easy to accomplish.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DD.
    I put together my first lower by myself, with no prior knowledge of the AR platform other than shooting one.
    I used a pictorial that I found on AR15.com on how to assemble your own AR lower. There is a separate pictorial for uppers.
    My lower "build" took me all of 45 minutes. No special tools used other than a good punch set and a small brass hammer.

It was fun and informative.
    I did run into one problem. I launched a detent pin into the oblivion that was the other side of the room.
    I didn't really worry about it because I knew I could pick up a replacement in the morning from my local fun shop.

The whole process taught me a lot.
    I also found a trick to keep from losing those tiny little spring-loaded parts. Ever seen one of those "Bed-in-a-bag" sheet sets?
    They come in a nifty little clear vinyl bag that has a zippered top.
    Put the parts on a table and place the bag over top.
    Work with your hands under the bag. If anything does launch, it's caught inside the bag.

I wouldn't be afraid to try to assemble it yourself.
    There is plenty of instruction online and it's easy to accomplish.

I may just give it a go. And I've heard of the plastic bag trick but thanks for the reminder! :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Found some really good youtube videos on assembling a PSA lower. It looks like I have everything I need except the armorer's wrench to tighten down the castle nut on the buffer tube, so I'm going to get it as far as I can then see if I can get my buddy to find some time, or maybe take it somewhere to have it torqued down. Looks like crappy weather for the weekend, so that'll be a good project for me. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I began the assembly today. Got the mag release, bolt release and front take down pin installed. Oh and mounted the MBUS. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow. :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Fun isn't it?

Yeah, it kinda is! I don't think I'll be building any more, but I can see how people could get hooked on this stuff. :) Is it bad that I'm already thinking about a new trigger group even before I've installed the one that came with it?? :):

I did realize that I was premature in installing the MBUS. Going to have to take it back off to install the scope mount. I can live with that though.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    I put a CMC 3.5 flat single stage trigger on my AR-10 and like it so well that I will be installing on all my AR platform rifles. My 200 yard groups really tightened up with the new trigger.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I put a CMC 3.5 flat single stage trigger on my AR-10 and like it so well that I will be installing on all my AR platform rifles. My 200 yard groups really tightened up with the new trigger.

I'm leaning toward a Geisselle SSA, but I will wait to see how the stock trigger is before I make any decisions.

Top Bottom