• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I hope you have better luck with your PA10 then I did. Mine just went back to PSA for a second time with a bad chamber. Another guy at work had the same issue and had to send his back twice.

Never again will I buy PSA.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a SIG 716 DMR. I pick it up Friday.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice looking rifle. Congrats.
    Thanks! :)

ZQ1 @ 44 cents/rd shipped is a very good price. That is cheaper than what some places are selling for Wolf, without shipping!
    I got it from AIM, but I think SGAmmo or Widener's had it for the same price (also free shipping) around Black Friday time. I pick it up at Walmart when I can, and it's only 50 cents a round there, so still pretty good.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hope you have better luck with your PA10 then I did. Mine just went back to PSA for a second time with a bad chamber. Another guy at work had the same issue and had to send his back twice.

Ack! I hope I have better luck too! Yours is the first bad experience I've heard of, so hopefully I won't have a similar issue. That really does surprise me. I've really not heard much bad about any of PSA's products (other than some of it is proprietary).

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    AR-10 takes its own mag.I had one and still have extra waffle mags.I had serial # 51 of the original armalite AR-10s back in the late 50s.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    JWFuhrman also had a terrible time with his PA10. Here is the thread:Palmetto State .308

Wow... I read through that entire thread, and while it was darned scary early on, it seemed as though things were improving for folks in the more recent posts. Guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope I got a good one. Since my lower (stripped) should be one of the newer ones, maybe the trigger compatibility issues have been worked out. Some of the other stuff they were talking about, I'll admit was pretty much Greek to me. :): As of now, all parts are PSA, so I am hoping they've been able to work out some of the initial bugs, at least with their own parts working together.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

Yea I have to agree to two that Ive seen and shot in person were kind of lacking in the accuracy department. One I shot feed great and ran everything we feed it but it would not shoot a group into anything less than about 2.5" @ 100yrds even with match ammo. Then the other I shot had a very tough time feeding, it would jam at least 2 or 3 times per mag if not more as well as not having very good accuracy. I think the barrel QC may have been an issue at a point, so hopefully they have straightened that out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well today is the day. Taking it to the range. I'll either come home singing its praises or cussing it, or (most likely) something in between. I'm hoping for the first though. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Awesome hope it shoots lights out for ya buddy!
    Well I've gotta say I was feeling a lot better about it at the beginning of this thread. Now some of you guys have made me nervous! :nailbite: I'm taking 9 loaded mags with me. Hopefully that will be enough to get the scope reasonably sighted in. :):

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Oh wow yea Id hope so, I could have it sighted in with about 5 shots ha ha. But you should more than enough left over for a lot of fun ;). Go out with an open mind I think they had issues with a few things when they first came out with the PA10 they have probably since fixed those issues. Let us know how it does!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh wow yea Id hope so, I could have it sighted in with about 5 shots ha ha. But you should more than enough left over for a lot of fun ;). Go out with an open mind I think they had issues with a few things when they first came out with the PA10 they have probably since fixed those issues. Let us know how it does!

I bore-sighted it (took the upper off and looked down the bore the old fashioned way) so hopefully I'm on paper at 25 yards at least already. I'm also testing out my Krag rifle/carbine/sporter today. Not as much to go wrong with it at least! With the Krag I'm most interested to see how the 10 rounds I formed from 303 brass work. Really keeping my fingers crossed that they work well. That'll save me a lot of money over buying commercial 30-40 ammo.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got back from the range. I have to say that my first thoughts were, "@#$%&! all those nay-sayers were right!" :xmad: First full P-mag I put in, couldn't even get it to chamber one round. Tried an IMI mag - stripped off the first round but didn't go all the way into battery. "Dammit!" Unloaded the IMI and put one round in. Chambered and fired just fine. Loaded 3 rounds... all worked fine. Worked up to 10... all good. 15... still had the first round not go fully into battery. Then I started thinking, "Did I even lube this thing after I put it together?" Took the bolt out and it was pretty dry - I don't think I had lubed it at all! One of the pitfalls of buying a complete, assembled upper I guess. :ugh: Put a few drops of CLP on it and rubbed it down with my fingers and reassembled. Inserted full mag, and wham! Chambered first round and went fully into battery. No more problems after that! :rockwoot:

My bore sighting must have been right on. At 25 yards I was picking off half-dollar sized rocks, pieces of wood, whatever, just to function test. Moved to the 300 yard range (which is actually 346 yards). 60% steel torso at 100 yards, no problem. Got a little cocky and tried the 60% torso at the full 346 yards and hit after hit, piece of cake! All of this without touching the adjustment of the scope whatsoever. For someone used to shooting old milsurps with crappy iron sights (and old eyeballs), this was literally like shooting fish in a barrel. The ONLY other issue I had was one stovepipe when I got lazy and rested the bottom of the mag on the bench, so that was all on me. I couldn't be happier with this rifle! :D I will say that it took me a little bit to re-familiarize myself with the AR platform manual-of-arms (forgetting about the bolt release, stuff like that) but with that out of the way I was happier than a pig in :poop:!

Only shot one paper target at 100 yards from a single bag rest and it grouped about 1.5-2" but that was without really concentrating or anything, and with the stock trigger, and 1968 WRA milsurp ammo, so no complaints there. Indy1919a4 went with me and he mentioned that he could feel the "air blast" from the muzzle brake when he was next to me, so I stood next to him when he fired it, and yeah you can feel it, but it's still nothing compared to the concussion of an 8mm or a 7.62x54R in my opinion.

I can see that I'm going to need to stock up on reloading components though... for some reason this rifle sure seems to use a lot more ammo than my bolt guns! :):

Last edited:

Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    After I sold my AR-15, I said I would never get back into "black rifles" UNLESS... it was one in 308. Well an email from Palmetto State prompted me to take the leap last night. Got a blemished stripped lower for $75 (free shipping) and an 18" stainless rifle kit for $550.

PSA PA10 Blemished .308 Stripped Lower Receiver - 482763

PSA PA10 18" SS Mid Length Rifle Kit - 503654

With shipping, it came to $642. From the little bit of looking around that I've done, I haven't seen complete rifles go for much less than about 850.

Now for some questions...
    1) Did I do okay price-wise?
    2) I know I will need a rear sight - any recommendations for a basic rear sight?
    3) I will need some magazines - any recommendations for 20 round mags that won't break the bank?
    4) Also magazine related - Are the M14/M1A mags compatible with the AR-10? I was thinking they were the same, but thought I'd better ask.
    5) I'll be getting some kind of optic down the road. I want to go with a scope as opposed to a red dot. Won't be shooting any extreme ranges, so would a fixed 4x do the trick, or would a variable power model be better? Standard eye relief or long eye relief?
    6) I would like to go with a quick-disconnect mount for the scope. Any recommendations for those (again, that won't break the bank)?
    7) Other than the rear sight and some mags, is there anything else I need to get this kit built and up and running?

You did great for the money.
    Magpul 20 rounders are hard to beat
    And M14 m1a mags are only compatable with Armalite style lowers
    Magpul 20 rounders will fit DPMS style lowers. Find out which style you have before you buy mags
    I fixed power swfa would be the best choice. Get ready to spend atleast 1500 for a professionally built variable power

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You did great for the money.
    Magpul 20 rounders are hard to beat
    And M14 m1a mags are only compatable with Armalite style lowers
    Magpul 20 rounders will fit DPMS style lowers. Find out which style you have before you buy mags
    I fixed power swfa would be the best choice. Get ready to spend atleast 1500 for a professionally built variable power

Yep, thankfully I was warned about the mags. The IMI (Israeli) mags worked great too, with their only drawback being the lack of a dust cover. I went with a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x32 scope and I'm completely satisfied. Alan from AA Optics (INGO advertiser) price-matched one I found as Sportsman's Guide, (but had to charge sales tax of course) so I got it from him.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just got back from the range. I have to say that my first thoughts were, "@#$%&! all those nay-sayers were right!" :xmad: First full P-mag I put in, couldn't even get it to chamber one round. Tried an IMI mag - stripped off the first round but didn't go all the way into battery. "Dammit!" Unloaded the IMI and put one round in. Chambered and fired just fine. Loaded 3 rounds... all worked fine. Worked up to 10... all good. 15... still had the first round not go fully into battery. Then I started thinking, "Did I even lube this thing after I put it together?" Took the bolt out and it was pretty dry - I don't think I had lubed it at all! One of the pitfalls of buying a complete, assembled upper I guess. :ugh: Put a few drops of CLP on it and rubbed it down with my fingers and reassembled. Inserted full mag, and wham! Chambered first round and went fully into battery. No more problems after that! :rockwoot:

My bore sighting must have been right on. At 25 yards I was picking off half-dollar sized rocks, pieces of wood, whatever, just to function test. Moved to the 300 yard range (which is actually 346 yards). 60% steel torso at 100 yards, no problem. Got a little cocky and tried the 60% torso at the full 346 yards and hit after hit, piece of cake! All of this without touching the adjustment of the scope whatsoever. For someone used to shooting old milsurps with crappy iron sights (and old eyeballs), this was literally like shooting fish in a barrel. The ONLY other issue I had was one stovepipe when I got lazy and rested the bottom of the mag on the bench, so that was all on me. I couldn't be happier with this rifle! :D I will say that it took me a little bit to re-familiarize myself with the AR platform manual-of-arms (forgetting about the bolt release, stuff like that) but with that out of the way I was happier than a pig in :poop:!

Only shot one paper target at 100 yards from a single bag rest and it grouped about 1.5-2" but that was without really concentrating or anything, and with the stock trigger, and 1968 WRA milsurp ammo, so no complaints there. Indy1919a4 went with me and he mentioned that he could feel the "air blast" from the muzzle brake when he was next to me, so I stood next to him when he fired it, and yeah you can feel it, but it's still nothing compared to the concussion of an 8mm or a 7.62x54R in my opinion.

I can see that I'm going to need to stock up on reloading components though... for some reason this rifle sure seems to use a lot more ammo than my bolt guns! :):

I was SO glad to read your review/range report.
    This thread had started to worry me. I received an assembled (blemished) PA10 lower for my birthday present. I bought a PSA stripped upper (blemished) to match it, but that;s as far as I've gotten.
    No extra funds at Black Friday this year.

I digress. It looks like (hopefully) they've figured out the bugs.
    Still, I think I'll stick with all PSA parts to start.
    Congratulations.

Top Bottom