• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's great news! Very glad to hear it shot so well and yes a AR10 pattered rifles tend to be bit hungry ;)

Yeah, you're not kidding! :):

I told you they were great rifles

And you were right on the money! :)

I was SO glad to read your review/range report.
    This thread had started to worry me. I received an assembled (blemished) PA10 lower for my birthday present. I bought a PSA stripped upper (blemished) to match it, but that;s as far as I've gotten.
    No extra funds at Black Friday this year.

I digress. It looks like (hopefully) they've figured out the bugs.
    Still, I think I'll stick with all PSA parts to start.
    Congratulations.

The only change I'm thinking of making is a trigger upgrade, but I'm not in a big hurry about that. I do need to pick up a sling for it too. Not sure what kind to go with with an AR patterned rifle. Seems like there are a few options out there and I don't know the advantages/disadvantages of each of them. Ideally I'd like something that would help steady the rifle in offhand shooting, just like with my "regular" rifles, but also aid in carrying it if I were to do so (more than just from the car to the shooting bench that is).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I realy like the M1 Garand web sling for a low cost general purpose shooting sling. Turner makes a longer M1907 style sling in leather or Biothane that is used in competition that would work well. Turner slings are available directly from Turner or from places like Midway.

Turner Saddlery National Match All Weather Military Shooting Sling 1

Yep, that's the same type (basically) that I use on all my bolt guns. I didn't know if there was a better choice for the AR platform or not, since it's such a short rifle. I do like the look of that one but ouch on the price! I'm thinking 15-20 bucks tops. (I'm cheap like that. :):)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I don't know if you handload, but I load 150gr soft point Hornady over 3031 IMR powder for blasting and plinking loads to shoot steel with. I can load a 100 of them for not much money at all.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know if you handload, but I load 150gr soft point Hornady over 3031 IMR powder for blasting and plinking loads to shoot steel with. I can load a 100 of them for not much money at all.

Yep I do. I use 147 grain milsurp FMJBT with either Varget, IMR 4064 or IMR 4895. I used some H335 for my 303-converted-to-30-40-Krag rounds and really liked it. I hadn't used it before. It's a really fine grain powder and I only needed 35 grains. Haven't looked to see if there is data for using it for 308 yet. I do use 3031 but I mainly use it for 8mm Lebel and 8x56R.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got ya, well least your already setup for it. You'll be able to save a pretty decent amount of coin then.

Oh yeah! I've already tumbled and de-capped the stuff I shot yesterday and am gettng ready to prime them. If work is slow (I'll be working from home tomorrow) I may get them sized and ready to load. I haven't really had to reload much yet because I had quite a bit of surplus ammo on hand. I'm thinking of getting a Berdan de-capping tool because I've got some really nice German stuff but it's Berdan. Brass is just so nice that I hate to throw it away. I could reload my Swiss GP11 ammo too.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Oh yeah! I've already tumbled and de-capped the stuff I shot yesterday and am gettng ready to prime them. If work is slow (I'll be working from home tomorrow) I may get them sized and ready to load. I haven't really had to reload much yet because I had quite a bit of surplus ammo on hand. I'm thinking of getting a Berdan de-capping tool because I've got some really nice German stuff but it's Berdan. Brass is just so nice that I hate to throw it away. I could reload my Swiss GP11 ammo too.

DD,
    I saw something on Youtube a year or so ago about depriming Berdan primers.
    They used a shell holder, a wooden dowel, water, and a small mallet.
    Shell in holder filled with water. Tight fitting dowel inserted then smacked with the mallet.
    Hydraulic pressure decaps for you. Messy, and slow, but effective without special tools.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DD,
    I saw something on Youtube a year or so ago about depriming Berdan primers.
    They used a shell holder, a wooden dowel, water, and a small mallet.
    Shell in holder filled with water. Tight fitting dowel inserted then smacked with the mallet.
    Hydraulic pressure decaps for you. Messy, and slow, but effective without special tools.

Yep, I've seen that too. Another alternative to the wooden dowel is to take a decapping pin and cut the "pin" part off of it, fill the cases with water then use your press with the blunted decapping pin in your regular decapping die to create the hydraulic pressure. I should have tried that method this summer. Pretty sure DoggyMama would frown on me doing that in the house! :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I do not know DD can you place a leather vintage sling on an AR???? Is that Kosher?? Should this not be a Web sling??

img_6683-2pt-studio.jpg
    vs
    images

Top Bottom