• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If I want a 7.62 short cased round traveling at 2000fps for medium distance 100-300yd target shooting or hunting, I'll use my 6.8SPCII

If I want a quiet subsonic round in a short barreled AR platform for less than 100yd shooting (ie, close range), I'll use a 5" barrel 9mm upper and suppressor

What if you want to do both with one gun, just by switching ammunition types?

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    The big draw right now is the amount of energy you can put on target with the .300 Blackout at close ranges, while staying subsonic.

That makes is very likeable especially when suppressed, as you can be very quiet but pack a huge punch.

Out past 200yds there really isn't much benefit from what I've been able to read.

The subsonic 220 grain bullets are achieving 498 ft lb of energy out of a 9 inch barrel. http://300aacblackout.com/resources/PDS 21502- A300AACM8 300 AAC BLK 220-gr OTM-1.pdf . This energy can be matched by some .45 ACP loads, or possibly even 9 mm loads.

I think the 300 blackout can make a nice niche cartridge, but I guess I just don't see the advantage over curent offerings. You can get the subsonic 220 grain, which seems to match or slightly exceed pistol caliber carbines, or the 125 grain that exceeds the 5.56x45 at close range and and is outperformed by the 5.56x45 at long range. And as far as a alternative caliber AR, it is outperformed at short and long ranges by the 6.8 SPC.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    The subsonic 220 grain bullets are achieving 498 ft lb of energy out of a 9 inch barrel. http://300aacblackout.com/resources/...gr%20OTM-1.pdf . This energy can be matched by some .45 ACP loads, or possibly even 9 mm loads.

I think the 300 blackout can make a nice niche cartridge, but I guess I just don't see the advantage over curent offerings. You can get the subsonic 220 grain, which seems to match or slightly exceed pistol caliber carbines, or the 125 grain that exceeds the 5.56x45 at close range and and is outperformed by the 5.56x45 at long range. And as far as a alternative caliber AR, it is outperformed at short and long ranges by the 6.8 SPC.

I dont believe the sub sonic offerings in .45 and 9mm will cycle the ar. If the gun has been heavily tuned enough to actually cycle these loads then its no as easy as just switching ammo to shoot super sonics. Also i dont believe that once your shooting out to 100 yards the poor ballistic coefficient of the pistol rounds would allow it to match the blackout rounds.

I didnt like the 6.8spc over the blackout because of the reduced magazine capacity. I also have a propieatary magazine and bolt. Harder to find brass and bullets at least compared to 223 brass and 308 bullets. I went down the 7.62x39 route in an ar and hated it. Never cycle right or at least without frustrating hiccups. Now i have the 7.62x39 performance with only a barrel change on a standard ar. Also another reason I choose it over a pistol round for sub sonic use. I dont have to have a completely dedicated lower/ mag blocks, special mags, all my uppers can share the same lower. Especially nice if ive sbr'd any of them. If im wanting to shoot past 300 yards im grabbing a grendel 6.5 .

If i already had a 6.8 spc and an ar in a pistol round then yes the blackout might not be for me.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What I would like to know about this round is what is the purpose (1)

I'm always a proponent of new advances in AR technology and offerings but please help me understand how this chambering will be better than the options I listed above for it specific uses?

If your guns have to have a purpose, this round probably isn't for you.

This is from Sierra's reloading manual about the 300 Whisper, which is where the idea of the Blackout came from.

The .300 Whisper was developed by noted wildcatter J.D. Jones for a very specific purpose. Jones sought to design a sub-sonic cartridge for military use, capable of delivering accurate fire out to 200 yards or more. Ideally, the cartridge should be suitable to existing weapons systems, rather than complicating logistics by requiring a new weapon. Basing the new cartridge on the .221 case for this application was a perfect choice. The short case length of the .221 allowed it to be necked up to accept a .30 caliber bullet, while still maintaining an OAL no longer than that of the 5.56x45mm cartridge. Since the .221 shares a common head size with the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge, it is easily adapted to the M16 series of rifles. This allows an M16/AR-15 rifle to be switched from .223/5.56mm to .300 Whisper and back again by removing two take-down pins, and replacing the upper receiver assembly

If you have an AR in 5.56, all you need is a new barrel.
    There are no proprietary mags like your 9, 45, or 6.8.
    It takes the exact same bolt carrier group, so no expensive, proprietary bolt.
    If you have a pile of 223 brass, all you need to do is trim about 3/8" off after sizing. So no expensive new brass either.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Just watched a Guns & Ammo episode last weekend that had been on the DVR for a while and they were talking with Hornady about their ammo for the 300 blackout. I was kind of "meh" on the whole thing until watching that. Now I'm intrigued. Can't find the video on their site though.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    This is an honest question, but do you REALLY have 7.62x39 performance? In a full power .300BLK, does it meet 7.62x39 performance? If so, sign me up!

Im averageing 2300-2350 fps out of my ak with wolf military classic x39. In blackout im using pulled 130gr mk319 mod 0 bullets and averageing 2200-2250. Slower fps but a heavier bullet. If your wanting something a little better than blackout you might look into 7.62x40wt. Same idea but a longer case so room for more powder. Longer case though means you can run the really long bullets for sub sonic use, also think they dont get along good with pmags but the lancer l5's work. Same mk319 bullet can be pusher 2400-2450 safely.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    In blackout im using pulled 130gr mk319 mod 0 bullets and averageing 2200-2250.

Do you mind listing your load?
    I got these bullets loaded up for an OCW test, but haven't been to the range yet.

I did load some up at 18.0 grains of H110 at 2.100" just to break in my upper a little more. The OAL was too long, in between the wax ring and crimp groove. Made loading a Pmag a little tight.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was told by one of my distributors this afternoon that the Rem UMC .300BLK ammo likely won't hit shelves until springtime. :xmad: This seems to jive with Rsilvers' post on another forum, that Remington would be loading supersonic and subsonic Match ammo until they had a 6-month supply built up, before switching the lines over to run UMC.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Do you mind listing your load?
    I got these bullets loaded up for an OCW test, but haven't been to the range yet.

I did load some up at 18.0 grains of H110 at 2.100" just to break in my upper a little more. The OAL was too long, in between the wax ring and crimp groove. Made loading a Pmag a little tight.

Ive got mine loaded at 2.105 . Didnt have any issues and have mine visually where you describe as well. Have these going in a windowed pmag. The bullet starts to hit the lands at about 2.17 . Even at this it loads fine in a pmag. Normal 223 has a maximum of 2.26 . Sure we have the same bullet? Whats your oal of the bullet?

On a side know as soon as the die comes in, im going to start offering brass processing at around 60$ per 1k. Will include swagging if using military brass. Now only if lee would come out with a collet die so this brass lasts a little longer.

Last edited:

IdesOfMarch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    My Noveske .300 Blackout PDW (aka Helen of Troy--cause she's beautiful)

2ugp2c0.jpg

SBR'd Noveske lower
    8 inch Noveske barrel with Troy 7.6 TRX Extreme
    Troy Claymore muzzle brake
    Magpul K grip/MOE vert grip
    Sopmod Stock
    Troy battlesights
    Geissele SD3G trigger (the ****!)
    Burris FastFire II in co-witness mount

She's light as hell and with the Claymore any recoil is straight back. Smoother shooting than my MK 18 upper.

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    :faint:

Have you ever weighed it? That's gotta be <7lbs.

It is superlight... we ran it with a VLTOR stock and a T-1 and it felt like a toy!!

Ides I see you got your mini rd, now just humor me and mount it all the way upfront :)

I think the T-1 was just pissed it was temporary!

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    My Noveske .300 Blackout PDW (aka Helen of Troy--cause she's beautiful)

2ugp2c0.jpg

SBR'd Noveske lower
    8 inch Noveske barrel with Troy 7.6 TRX Extreme
    Troy Claymore muzzle brake
    Magpul K grip/MOE vert grip
    Sopmod Stock
    Troy battlesights
    Geissele SD3G trigger (the ****!)
    Burris FastFire II in co-witness mount

She's light as hell and with the Claymore any recoil is straight back. Smoother shooting than my MK 18 upper.

with t1 (that blinked out after 1 mag of .300 aac) ;)
    photobucket-41749-1320205733204.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom