Are females in this country really that bad off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you are comparing apples to apples, i lean toward that opinion myself. Vs comparing apples to oranges- a factory comprised of mostly women, making low wages, but in a comfortable environment, to a factory where mostly men work in extreme temperatures, no AC, poor work conditions, but receive higher pay.

It would be interesting to follow a man and woman hiring into the same job, both performing equally, moving through the ranks, receiving performance raises, etc, over 5+ years.

That's not necessarily sexism or anything. I can regale you with tales of woe of guys I know from where I worked that had reasonably equivalent jobs and a few get ahead (while being less competent and accomplished) and others that were far superior never went anywhere. There's much more to this than your sex. I'm not saying it's never been or that it probably doesn't persist anywhere these days. But life's not fair. Some people get ahead because they're really good and some people get ahead because of who they're related to, they go to the right school/church/clubs, they play the games, etc even if they can't manage their way out of a paper bag. And still, some others, perfectly capable and hard working, are pigeon-holed or forgotten.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That's not necessarily sexism or anything. I can regale you with tales of woe of guys I know from where I worked that had reasonably equivalent jobs and a few get ahead (while being less competent and accomplished) and others that were far superior never went anywhere. There's much more to this than your sex. I'm not saying it's never been or that it probably doesn't persist anywhere these days. But life's not fair. Some people get ahead because they're really good and some people get ahead because of who they're related to, they go to the right school/church/clubs, they play the games, etc even if they can't manage their way out of a paper bag. And still, some others, perfectly capable and hard working, are pigeon-holed or forgotten.

I think maybe you misunderstood what i was saying. We are pretty much in agreement.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    So here is my story, from years ago.
    As a young, newly divorced mom, i was eager to prove myself and make more money. A job that was usually given to a male opened, and i begged for it. Plant manager was skeptical, but i surprised him. The job turned out to be a good fit. As the factory grew, plant manager asked my co-worker and me to take on more responsibility. i was young and motivated, and was up for the challenge. My older male co-worker said "see ya," and quit. Another guy was hired by the owner to take his place. I trained him, but i could always work circles around him. He stood around and talked, and adjusted his underwear a lot...lol. Finally he quit. It was then that my boss informed me that he had been hired to be MY superior, (per the owner) and was making more money than me when he quit! When i was shocked and said i had no idea, boss said he hid it from me, knowing how i'd feel about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So here is my story, from years ago.
    As a young, newly divorced mom, i was eager to prove myself and make more money. A job that was usually given to a male opened, and i begged for it. Plant manager was skeptical, but i surprised him. The job turned out to be a good fit. As the factory grew, plant manager asked my co-worker and me to take on more responsibility. i was young and motivated, and was up for the challenge. My older male co-worker said "see ya," and quit. Another guy was hired by the owner to take his place. I trained him, but i could always work circles around him. He stood around and talked, and adjusted his underwear a lot...lol. Finally he quit. It was then that my boss informed me that he had been hired to be MY superior, (per the owner) and was making more money than me when he quit! When i was shocked and said i had no idea, boss said he hid it from me, knowing how i'd feel about it.

Heck Cindy I had near the same thing happen to me.
    I was a senior tech at a union service shop. I trained a lot of the apprentices.
    Owner asked me to train the new parts guy for a week in the field so he would know what was up. I let this guy ride with me. Bought his lunch as I assumed he was low pay and he let me. After a week of this I came in Monday morning and who was sitting in the Service managers chair.....this douche nozzle liar. Talk about being Pi$$ed off.
    This let me know who I was working for and I never trusted any office staff again.
    Being female does not put you in these things but I am sure it happens often.

Oh yeah.....same idiots that hired 5' Sally.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I believe in equality.
    However... I'm not envious or jealous about what someone else makes.
    I figure I'll go in and do my job and collect my pay.
    It's actually NONE of my business what someone else makes.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Heck Cindy I had near the same thing happen to me.
    I was a senior tech at a union service shop. I trained a lot of the apprentices.
    Owner asked me to train the new parts guy for a week in the field so he would know what was up. I let this guy ride with me. Bought his lunch as I assumed he was low pay and he let me. After a week of this I came in Monday morning and who was sitting in the Service managers chair.....this douche nozzle liar. Talk about being Pi$$ed off.
    This let me know who I was working for and I never trusted any office staff again.
    Being female does not put you in these things but I am sure it happens often.

Oh yeah.....same idiots that hired 5' Sally.

Ugh...that sucks...and is very stupid of management.

I've seen previous management make similar mistakes. Hire a college graduate over an experienced worker when a position becomes open. Usually doesn't work out well. Experienced worker becomes bitter, college grad is thrown into the Lions den, where everyone is resentful, and thus fails.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I bet a lot of womyn went out there with good intentions only to be appalled at the words they heard from speakers

i don't think I've ever worked a job that paid women less. In fact I bet they earned more at the restaurants I worked at

but as was said above, this concept is a myth. There may be isolated examples but it is not the norm as suggested

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Suspect we can thank or blame Social Media depending on one's perspective for escalation of causes like this weekend's protests. People today have too much idle time on their hands which ultimately results in soul search for cause to provide meaning or worth to their hollow lives.

Was watching the South Bend news cover an all inclusive Trump protest this week and the impression left on me was it's participants were so engaged with documenting their presence via smartphone selfies they didn't appear capable of exerting energy towards the actual event. Yet I'm certain each individual left believing they had made a difference having real affect upon the future. They came..they went...life goes on.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    I was on the job for 14 years when I was divorced in '83. About a year later I was promoted to a middle mgmt. job that was still hourly. My ex went thru her second childhood and was leaving my 9yr. son (only child) home alone while she partyed. So I took the boy home to live with me and he stayed until he was 22. That period was when I learned a lot of respect for single women raising kids on their own. I never could have done it with 2 kids or a girl or girls.
    Money is the big deal. If you've got the money you can get anything accomplished. I did have to take a step back in my career so I could keep a closer eye on the boy.

MikeBrennan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Indiana
    The idea that if you have money you can accomplish anything is yet another myth.

I've seen a number of families with great material wealth that are more bankrupt and empty than others who have little in material goods yet have strong families filled with love.

The propaganda is strong.

No doubt you did much for your son in your decisions, likely in many ways that may never be known.

Such are the responsibilities of a family.

Such responsibilities are not those of an employer.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What exactly do the ladies in the pink hats want?

Free stuff. Well, they want other people to pay for their stuff.

It's just the ladies' brigade of the FSA.

Do they really see Trump as a womanizing pig who will tear up the female bill of rights?

Womanizing? That's not it. Bill Clinton as Exhibit A.

You only get a pass on bad behavior if you are a Democrat.

There's a whole population in this nation that exists to take things from others using the auspices of government. Trump is a threat to their worldview EVEN THOUGH he is a pro-abortion New York Democrat.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I Think we should look at the huge positive from this march.....it proved that's its possible for millions of women CAN pick an outfit and be on time for an event.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Free stuff. Well, they want other people to pay for their stuff.

It's just the ladies' brigade of the FSA.

Womanizing? That's not it. Bill Clinton as Exhibit A.

You only get a pass on bad behavior if you are a Democrat.

There's a whole population in this nation that exists to take things from others using the auspices of government. Trump is a threat to their worldview EVEN THOUGH he is a pro-abortion New York Democrat.

It has never ceased to amaze me the blind loyalty the quote-unquote feminists have to old Slick Willie. Hillary enabled his behavior and destroyed the lives of women who spoke up against Bill. Is 24/7 abortion availability what passes as "women's rights"?? I saw one interviewed today who's main beef was having to use HER sick time to care for a sick child. Extra leave for children is now a human right? This wasn't a problem until now? I dunno, a lot of emotion, zero-balance on the logic.

Top Bottom