• Status
    Not open for further replies.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    range discipline is range discipline,,,no matter where you go...

im old school,,,so i know how a real line is supposed to be run... line cold,,,hands off guns and mags you can still chalk,,,adjust your scope,,,arrange your point,,,change lenses,,,and do prep lots of reasons to be going in and out of your box

cept i paid for it,,,so im also more than welcome to complain about it and get it fixed...

Again, you have obviously never been to a military range. You would have gotten you *** kicked all over it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    if you live in columbus and your a real shooter your already a member of hhrp... check your match calendar...[/quote]

Do you mean the Hoosier Hills Gun Club? I did not know you had to shoot competition to be a "real shooter". Although, I'm going to check into joining for a place to shoot during the winter.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    thing is,,,you HAVE to shoot at MCFG to keep your scores active and to enter the big matches

i dont think anything on the circuit is held at atterbury,,,

I don't. I'm not a match shooter. Just a weekend plinkerer. I would like to try competitive shooting sometime, maybe when I retire.

When we go to the range at Atterbury, my sons and I always have a shooting contest...and I seldom win...but that's not that important to me. I just like hanging out with the kids and shooting.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    wrong,,,my range...that thing is public,,,

and we can all do it my way,,,and YOU will sure not be missed

as for missing me,,,the last time it went broke...because they were jerks they need all the customers they can get...

It is still state owned property. It is priavatized because the DNR did not want to fool with running it. It's still private property, just like any other small buisness. They make the rules, so you have two choices. Either follow the rules, or go somwhere else, it's that simple. It's funny that, 99% of the people who shoot there have no complaints. I guess that means nothing. Hell, the last nice day we had, the place was packed. I have seen more women and children there, then I have at any other range. I suppose that too means something. I'm done trying to argue the point of the rules "SAFETY". Plus, 1-2 RO's can not watch 50 lanes at one time. To make sure people are not touching firearms on the line during cease fire. That's as crystal clear as it gets. :dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Holy Cow, this thread really denigrated quickly. I shoot at Atterbury pretty much weekly and am thankful that the rules in place keep folks away from the shooting tables when cold. I have no idea if the guy fumbling around with his rifle to check the target via scope is the next Jeff Cooper or the next Barney Fife. Either way, I'm not comfortable with him doing that while I'm posting targets. The range is run really well now and there's not much that I'd change.

If someone is not smart enough to understand that they just need to grab targets and other stuff before the range goes cold, they are probably not smart enough to keep from getting someone killed. To be honest, I've been thinking about joining MCFG but if it's Ok to have folks rummaging around the shooting benches there when the range is cold, I'll pass. Unsafe practices impact us all, whether or not we are the ones hit by a ND.

This thread makes me like Atterbury even more.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Holy Cow, this thread really denigrated quickly. I shoot at Atterbury pretty much weekly and am thankful that the rules in place keep folks away from the shooting tables when cold. I have no idea if the guy fumbling around with his rifle to check the target via scope is the next Jeff Cooper or the next Barney Fife. Either way, I'm not comfortable with him doing that while I'm posting targets. The range is run really well now and there's not much that I'd change.

If someone is not smart enough to understand that they just need to grab targets and other stuff before the range goes cold, they are probably not smart enough to keep from getting someone killed. To be honest, I've been thinking about joining MCFG but if it's Ok to have folks rummaging around the shooting benches there when the range is cold, I'll pass. Unsafe practices impact us all, whether or not we are the ones hit by a ND.

This thread makes me like Atterbury even more.

Amen, and Amen.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    you probly thought I was gonna eat his children didnt you? :laugh:

Patriot Pride was standing right next to me when this happened. I think he saw my face change into different shades of red before I finally told the guy to "quit finger ****ing my ****!" there was no reason for it other than the fact he wanted to touch my rifle. i liked atterbury when it was just a dirt backstop and a wooden shack there.

Except the looseness with the rules and the complete disregard for safety, I do miss the ability to send water-filled milk jugs soaring through the air. But not having to worry about Joe-Bob dicking around with the gun he left loaded on the bench pointed at my backside is a HUGE improvement.

does that make any sense from a bookkeeping view??? if your going to shoot how much you shoot,,,thats how much YOU shoot... you dont add to how much YOU shoot... you are you... you being you dont help a business cover for me not coming...

It does if he stays longer than he intended to cover your time. :p

oh yeah,,,a miracle every day... millions of rounds and nobody ever got hurt... some miracle... low bar for miracles these days... it was much better the way it was...
    Actually, it kinda was a miracle nobody got hurt. Not everybody followed basic safety rules or minimum levels of respect for the other shooters. What you fail to factor in your conclusions, is that there are two kinds of shooters: super mack-daddy perfect ones like you and regular run-of-the-mill ones like me. Oh, wait. Those are the categories for internet windbags. Where was I? Yeah, shooter categories. ;)

There are shooters and there are idiots with guns. The problem with the latter is that they are experts at stealth and easily fit in with the shooters. In fact, you could sit next to one of them all day at the range and never know they were actually just idiots with guns....until a situation pops up that gives them the opportunity to display it for all. The range rules at Atterbury are the last line of defense against that stupidity. If they won't behave like shooters on their own, at least the range rules will make them. They can be idiots with guns in their own home. Not at my range, please.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Do you mean the Hoosier Hills Gun Club? I did not know you had to shoot competition to be a "real shooter". Although, I'm going to check into joining for a place to shoot during the winter.

practice is fine,,,but they dont hand out trophies for practice...

things get serious and real when people keep score...

Last edited:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    To be honest, I've been thinking about joining MCFG but if it's Ok to have folks rummaging around the shooting benches there when the range is cold, I'll pass. Unsafe practices impact us all, whether or not we are the ones hit by a ND.

please pass,,, if you dont know what a safe line is,,,dont come over and wreck a good thing...

or maybe you could come over and learn what real shooting is all about...

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    It does if he stays longer than he intended to cover your time.

he always stays exactly as long as he intends to...

There are shooters and there are idiots with guns. The problem with the latter is that they are experts at stealth and easily fit in with the shooters. In fact, you could sit next to one of them all day at the range and never know they were actually just idiots with guns....until a situation pops up that gives them the opportunity to display it for all. The range rules at Atterbury are the last line of defense against that stupidity. If they won't behave like shooters on their own, at least the range rules will make them. They can be idiots with guns in their own home. Not at my range, please.

whats really sad is that a group of excessive safety and control ninnies likes to call itself the last line of defense of freedom...

yeah,,,thatll happen...

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Again with the "real shooting." Did I skim over the definition of that? :dunno:

I have to say that I'm now thinking about Atterbury for some pistol time in the warmer weather. A chance to get my kids out there and seeing/hearing a real firing line and how to do things safely.

I had heard that the range was privatized and run somewhat unplesantly, but it sounds like the new management is quite good.

Anyway, I'm thinking that anytime a bullet is getting fired, it's "real" regardless of where that bullet is going, so I'd like to know that there is a VERY small chance of someone tagging myself or my kids because they were messing with something when they shouldn't be and people are downrange or something.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    It only takes one person to start fooling with their firearms during a cease fire too ruin it for everyone.

and what are the two things i said you cant touch during a cold line????

fresh_duh_2.jpg

bothehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    shelbyville
    they have 3 ranges 25yds for handguns 50yrds for rimfire and sighting in and they have a 100 yrd range used to be a dollar an hour min of 2hrs, but that did'nt last long then went to 7$ an hour min of 2 and 5$ deposit for target stand! thats when i quit going! but i have heard they came down on price, but now only open fri,sat sun!

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    range discipline is range discipline,,,no matter where you go...

im old school,,,so i know how a real line is supposed to be run... line cold,,,hands off guns and mags you can still chalk,,,adjust your scope,,,arrange your point,,,change lenses,,,and do prep lots of reasons to be going in and out of your box

cept i paid for it,,,so im also more than welcome to complain about it and get it fixed...
    So how do you adjust your scope" or "change your lenses" without touching the gun?:dunno:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    they have 3 ranges 25yds for handguns 50yrds for rimfire and sighting in and they have a 100 yrd range used to be a dollar an hour min of 2hrs, but that did'nt last long then went to 7$ an hour min of 2 and 5$ deposit for target stand! thats when i quit going! but i have heard they came down on price, but now only open fri,sat sun!

And Tuesday. But all ranges are $6/ hour.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Atterbury has a lot of new shooters that don't have range smarts,so the range is run with this in mind.I myself would rather have a few extra rules in place for them and everyone else to follow. It's a place to shoot and have fun and as long as obey the rules you won't have any problems. If you've been yelled at,you broke the rules.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

It's $6/hr per LANE and no deposit for target stand. Four of us go down there and shoot for 3 hours, and it was $18.00 - if you are a member of the military and show ID they only charge $4/hr per your lane. When my son is home on leave we go for $12 for 3 hours. Can't beat that!

They have nice clean and warm indoor toilet facilities for men and women, a snack bar, and they sell ammo and target or you can bring your own. The new management actually treats you like you belong there. The other clowns treated you like you were bothering them. BTW...hearing and eye protection is REQUIRED.

You can do some real shooting there. :popcorn:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom