• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Best $300 Semi Auto

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I am looking for something for EDC/Home defense in a semi auto. I am a big guy so a large frame gun such as the Ruger P95 and others is not really an issue as I don't mind the size so keep that in mind. I also don't mind the smaller frame guns but I don't want a pocket gun.

First choice is gonna be 9MM simply for cost of ammo so I can afford to practice more with whatever it is. That being said I'm not totally against another caliber.

These are the guns I have been looking at so far and can be purchased in that price range. Feel free to add other options that I may be missing or not thought about but $300 is really the price range I have to stay in. I may go up to $350 but no more.

I can buy any of these models listed in this price range NEW. I am not opposed to buying used if you have any suggestions for something that can be bought used in that range.

I am most attracted to the Ruger and the S&W because of capacity on each one. I don't really like the low magazine capacity of the Keltec and the Kahr but I have read so many good things about the Kahr that I really want to hold and shoot one before making a final decision. Also the Kahr is at the very top end of my price range. Obviously the PF9 is the cheapest priced out of all these but also probably my least favorite of what I have listed.

Also I know about the trigger pull with the SW9ve and that's ok with me.

Please poll and tell me why you chose what you did. thanks

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Out of the ones you listed I would pick the Kahr. I just picked up a PM9, have not had a chance to shoot it yet. My PF9 will be getting sold. It is a good gun though. Rugers are big and bulky and make great blunt weapons. The trigger on the PF9 is better that SW9ve in my opinion.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted for the Ruger. Built like a tank and reliable as hell.

Since you said you do not mind the trigger, the Sigma is also a fine weapon IMO. The only negative I have ever said about this weapon is the trigger, which obviously does not apply to everyone, so if you are okay with it I say it is a fine choice as well.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Taurus 24/7 Pro or 709 Slim have both been reliable for me and in your price range. Of course, I bought mine used, so new prices may go a bit higher. I mention these since I saw the PT 111 in your poll.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I personally wouldnt trust any of the guns you mentioned for Home Defense. Nor would I trust a $300 pistol for self defense.

I know you said $350 is your highest price. But, if you saved a bit more for a few weeks, you could buy a very nice reliable used Glock 9mm or even a M&P for $450.

I know that's not what you want to hear. But while times are tough, nobody should buy a cheap unreliable gun to protect their life with it.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I personally wouldnt trust any of the guns you mentioned for Home Defense. Nor would I trust a $300 pistol for self defense.

I know you said $350 is your highest price. But, if you saved a bit more for a few weeks, you could buy a very nice reliable used Glock 9mm or even a M&P for $450.

I know that's not what you want to hear. But while times are tough, nobody should buy a cheap unreliable gun to protect their life with it.

While I appreciate your opinion I beg to differ than any of these guns would be unreliable for any of the things I want them for. Just because a gun doesn't cost $500 or more doesn't make it any less reliable. That's simply gun snob talk IMO. To each their own.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    While I appreciate your opinion I beg to differ than any of these guns would be unreliable for any of the things I want them for. Just because a gun doesn't cost $500 or more doesn't make it any less reliable. That's simply gun snob talk IMO. To each their own.

Gun snob? :n00b:

I don't have much money to spend on guns and gun related items. All my money is going towards bills and fixing my house.

The money I do have that goes towards gun and gun related items has to be spent wisely. I can't afford to buy something that doesn't work for me.
    The guns I have bought, which is VERY few, has to be very reliable. It has to work every time.
    I can't take a chance to buy something that doesn't work when I want it to.

That's why I have sold items that mean a lot to me, just to get that extra bit of cash to buy something I can rely on.

It has hurt me a lot to sell those items, but my life, and my families lives, is worth it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I voted other. My first preference in 9mm is a CZ 75, but that can be tough to find for around $300. Then again, if you buy an ex-Czech police CZ, those typically fetch $300 to $350. I bought a couple last year and am very happy with them.

Another choice is the Bersa 9HC. It's a 17+1 9mm that is both accurate and reliable. Those that own them love them. They can be bought for around $350 or so new.

Both the CZ and the Bersa have a good sized trigger guard and can be shot with gloves on if need be.

The ex-Czech police CZs can be found here: http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?ltid-all=1&t=Robertson&as=365&mn=0&mx=0&ffl=&ca=106&co=&f=&sort=&numberperpage=50&cid=150,&lid=&dn=&ns=0&zipcode=&distance=0&limittostate=&

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

You are missing his point, good sir. There is just enough difference in guns at this price point to make saving a little bit more worth while. There is no such thing as "gun snobbery" at this price range, we're not talkin 1911's ya know ;)

You can get a good police trade in Glock in that price range and it will serve you well and run for years. Plus, as you scratch up a bit here and there, you can always find holsters, mags, night sights and so forth for cheap in the classifieds.

Plus there are tons of us here on INGO that can work on them if you need anything done.

Just a sample: http://www.kiesler.com/police/productdetail.aspx?catid=2616&pid=22737

but you can also find them at guns shows or the Indy 1500

BCCS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    For 300 bucks you could get two hi-points and duel weild lol:)...then if you run out of ammo you have two effective blunt force weapons lol...

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    You are missing his point, good sir. There is just enough difference in guns at this price point to make saving a little bit more worth while. There is no such thing as "gun snobbery" at this price range, we're not talkin 1911's ya know ;)

You can get a good police trade in Glock in that price range and it will serve you well and run for years. Plus, as you scratch up a bit here and there, you can always find holsters, mags, night sights and so forth for cheap in the classifieds.

Plus there are tons of us here on INGO that can work on them if you need anything done.

Just a sample: Shop Police Detail

but you can also find them at guns shows or the Indy 1500

Thank you for the information. Had he presented it the way you did I would have been more receptive. But I still disagree that the weapons I listed are unreliable. The chances of problems or reliability is no less with higher end models ( $400 -$600 range) than any that I have listed. That was my point.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    understood.

Some of my first hand guns were the Sigma 9mm, Makarov .380, Keltec PF9.

The reason I suggest a used Glock trade in, is if you are going to trust your life with this gun, you need to shoot the **** out of it. Some of those guns are not very easy on the hand and a few thousand rounds thru some of those, you may start seeing issues.

Trust me, if you ask questions here, you'll get honest advice, but most of us are in the same boat and have been there.

Of those you listed, I'd go with the Sigma.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I carried a pt111 for over a year, some times I miss it, often times I don't.
    If your not going to carry. I trusted my life to it and never had any relieablity issues with it

Top Bottom