• Best $300 Semi Auto

• Total voters

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've pondered a similar question to this for several months. I handled several guns at the gun show this weekend and a couple more this morning at my LGS. Here is my list of guns that fit my hand, have a natural point-of-aim for ME, that I trust and are in a caliber I can afford to shoot a lot.

small:
    Bulgarian/E. german/most any other Makarov (used 9x18)
    Bersa CC (new 9mm)

Medium:
    CZ-82 (used 9x18)
    Bersa Thunder (new 9mm)

Large:
    CZ-75 pre-B (used 9mm)
    CZ-SP01 pre-B (used 9mm)

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I've pondered a similar question to this for several months. I handled several guns at the gun show this weekend and a couple more this morning at my LGS. Here is my list of guns that fit my hand, have a natural point-of-aim for ME, that I trust and are in a caliber I can afford to shoot a lot.

small:
    Bulgarian/E. german/most any other Makarov (used 9x18)
    Bersa CC (new 9mm)

Medium:
    CZ-82 (used 9x18)
    Bersa Thunder (new 9mm)

Large:
    CZ-75 pre-B (used 9mm)
    CZ-SP01 pre-B (used 9mm)

Where have you found the Bersa in this price range? I have not seen it near this price.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    i got my glock 22 police trade for 352 dollars. im sure you can talk them down on 2 dollars. its reliable and plenty defend yourself with, but get something. Anything is better than nothing. i voted ruger, i had one, and nothing since was as reliable, except the glock.
    yes you sometimes get what you pay for.
    and sometims you get a whole lot more.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    First - my price may be a bit higher than yours ... The Bersa CC 9 is running about $375 and the Thunder 9 about $405. I would stretch to that, although to be honest, the Mak and the CZ-82 (both 9x18) are NICE for around $250 ... gives me more $$$ for ammo. OR, to buy two of 'em. I really love the Mak/CZ-82s! Also, consider that you don't pay sales tax on the Maks and used CZs ... you probably will on the Bersas. Mag prices can effect your final cost too. I haven't really considered that as they all seem to be close in cost to each other.

If you factor-in sales tax and extra mags and try to stay in your budget, the CZ-82 gets better and better. Or the Maks if you want something that holds less.

The BIG DEAL to me is how incredibly on-target the Bersa and the Mak/CZ-82 are for me ... your experience may vary. I am not on-target with many, many guns. The Bersa'a and the 9x18s are just incredibly "there" for me (as are 1911's, but they don't fit our price range).

Last edited:

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I voted pt111, but highly recommend a 24/7. They can be had around 300-325 used. If my buddy backs out again, I'd sell you mine with a crossbreed supertuck, and 2 loaded mags of SD ammo. Along with whatever other ammo I have laying around.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I voted for the Kahr, based on my experience with a CM9, but the Ruger is a very solid gun as well.

While I appreciate your opinion I beg to differ than any of these guns would be unreliable for any of the things I want them for. Just because a gun doesn't cost $500 or more doesn't make it any less reliable. That's simply gun snob talk IMO. To each their own.

And whats funny is that a Glock probably costs about the same (or less) to produce as any of these guns. Cost/reliability do not always go hand in hand.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    First - my price may be a bit higher than yours ... The Bersa CC 9 is running about $375 and the Thunder 9 about $405. I would stretch to that, although to be honest, the Mak and the CZ-82 (both 9x18) are NICE for around $250 ... gives me more $$$ for ammo. OR, to buy two of 'em. I really love the Mak/CZ-82s! Also, consider that you don't pay sales tax on the Maks and used CZs ... you probably will on the Bersas. Mag prices can effect your final cost too. I haven't really considered that as they all seem to be close in cost to each other.

If you factor-in sales tax and extra mags and try to stay in your budget, the CZ-82 gets better and better. Or the Maks if you want something that holds less.

The BIG DEAL to me is how incredibly on-target the Bersa and the Mak/CZ-82 are for me ... your experience may vary. I am not on-target with many, many guns. The Bersa'a and the 9x18s are just incredibly "there" for me (as are 1911's, but they don't fit our price range).

Thank you for the info. You mention some other factors that I had not really been considering. I was basically just considering the gun price by itself plus ammo cost at this point. I do like the CZ's and Maks from what I have seen of them but I don't know of any place to check them out in person to see if I actually like them or the feel. Also I don't know much about them so I wasn't sure if they would be a good choice for what I want. My next thought would be how about ammo cost? Is it relatively close in price to regular 9mm Luger ammo? If you don't mind I'd like to PM you and chat more about them if you have the time and don't mind helping me learn more about them.

I voted pt111, but highly recommend a 24/7. They can be had around 300-325 used. If my buddy backs out again, I'd sell you mine with a crossbreed supertuck, and 2 loaded mags of SD ammo. Along with whatever other ammo I have laying around.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into that as well. If your buddy does not buy it PM me and I might be interested after some research.

And whats funny is that a Glock probably costs about the same (or less) to produce as any of these guns. Cost/reliability do not always go hand in hand.

Agreed.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thank you for the info. You mention some other factors that I had not really been considering. I was basically just considering the gun price by itself plus ammo cost at this point. I do like the CZ's and Maks from what I have seen of them but I don't know of any place to check them out in person to see if I actually like them or the feel. Also I don't know much about them so I wasn't sure if they would be a good choice for what I want. My next thought would be how about ammo cost? Is it relatively close in price to regular 9mm Luger ammo? If you don't mind I'd like to PM you and chat more about them if you have the time and don't mind helping me learn more about them.

If you can come to Lafayette, you can shoot mine. Birds Away is from here and has more of them than I do. We have a great indoor range on the south side ... so!!! 9x18 ammo costs about .23 per shot ... or about .03 cents more than 9mm. More or less kinda maybe. There is good self defense ammo available for it too. I figure, if I don't stop the BG with a 9x18, I probably wouldn't have with a 9x19 either. On the other hand, if I shoot the 9x18 better than I do the 9x19 (for whatever reason), I'm way ahead :rockwoot:

I know there are many Maks in Indy ... not so sure about CZ-82s. There is a member in Indy that has the pre-B CZ-75s. I forget his ID though. I can look it up if you want to reach out to him.

PM me anytime!!! Going out to dinner tonight (beat the Valentine's day rush), but I'll be back early!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro

with any of the guns in that list. Sometimes, a couple extra bucks are worth it.

I want to KNOW the gun I'm carrying will work when if my wife or child's life depends on it.

Ok please do this then: Please don't turn this into a pissing match. I don't think anyone here questioned the reliability of the Glock at least I haven't. They have proven themselves as have have MANY other brands.

The videos you posted to me are kind of pointless, again I don't think anyone has questioned their reliability. For one, I don't plan on getting in a gunfight and firing 1000 or anywhere near that many rounds consecutive, if the need arises I'll most likely be dead before the first magazine is empty. For 2 my gun is going to be on my side or on my nightstand I really don't think I'll bury it for 2 years just for the heck of it.

Thank you again for your enthusiasm and support for Glock firearms I'm sure they appreciate it as well. I'm simply asking that if you guys want to debate if the Glock is the end all be all firearm or not that you please take it to PM's or start a thread for that reason. Thank you.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    If you can come to Lafayette, you can shoot mine. Birds Away is from here and has more of them than I do. We have a great indoor range on the south side ... so!!! 9x18 ammo costs about .23 per shot ... or about .03 cents more than 9mm. More or less kinda maybe. There is good self defense ammo available for it too. I figure, if I don't stop the BG with a 9x18, I probably wouldn't have with a 9x19 either. On the other hand, if I shoot the 9x18 better than I do the 9x19 (for whatever reason), I'm way ahead :rockwoot:

I know there are many Maks in Indy ... not so sure about CZ-82s. There is a member in Indy that has the pre-B CZ-75s. I forget his ID though. I can look it up if you want to reach out to him.

PM me anytime!!! Going out to dinner tonight (beat the Valentine's day rush), but I'll be back early!

Thank you for the invitation. I could probably manage to come up there. I would gladly supply my own ammo. I couldn't agree more about if your better with the 9x18 versus the 9x19 and being able to stop the BG both.

I'd love to check the different models out and try them if possible. The ammo being that close in price is a big plus as well. I'll definitely hit you up on a PM.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't plan on getting in a gunfight and firing 1000 or anywhere near that many rounds consecutive

I agree with you here but I'm not sure that was the point he was trying to make. On a " longevity " standpoint, I would be concerned about at least a couple on your list...

I currently own a Kahr CW9. I really like it and have the utmost confidence in it's reliability. Saying that though, it is one weapon I own that I do watch the round count on. It doesn't take much observation to see it is not as heavily constructed as other options out there. I also have others weapons I have absolutely no concerns with putting several thousand rounds thru a year. Ones that I have no fear of ever wearing out...

Out of curiosity... Will this be primarily your only handgun ? Do you hope to have this for years to come ? About how many rounds do you expect to shoot in a given year ?

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I agree with you here but I'm not sure that was the point he was trying to make. On a " longevity " standpoint, I would be concerned about at least a couple on your list...

I currently own a Kahr CW9. I really like it and have the utmost confidence in it's reliability. Saying that though, it is one weapon I own that I do watch the round count on. It doesn't take much observation to see it is not as heavily constructed as other options out there. I also have others weapons I have absolutely no concerns with putting several thousand rounds thru a year. Ones that I have no fear of ever wearing out...

Out of curiosity... Will this be primarily your only handgun ? Do you hope to have this for years to come ? About how many rounds do you expect to shoot in a given year ?

I also believe that was not his point but I was simply trying to get a point across also. ;)

As far as your questions, here goes. Right now it will be my primary EDC gun but not my primary recreational shooter. It will also serve as my HD nightstand pistol but I also have a Mossy 500 for HD. As far as years to come, I'm not planning on it being my EDC for several years by any means. I'd like to upgrade in a few years or maybe as little as 2-3 but I will keep this one also if I do. As far as rounds per year? That's a tough one. I don't shoot near as much as some people around here that's for sure. I'd estimate 2-3 thousand rounds a year at most.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Not sure of your status, but if you have any affliliation with LE, EMS or active/retired military, Glock will give a discount that makes your head swim. I recently had same type of thoughts and when turned on the glock discount the choice was easy. Brand new 9MM for not much more than your max price.

rcg5960

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know price and quality have been kiccked around but I do have a question. If you knew for sure that tonight was the night a bad guy was coming into your home would you pay an extra $200.00 to upgrade to a Glock or Sig??

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Let's get real! Some of do have a budget or target price and we want to stick to it, for whatever reason. Everyone always says "Just save up for a few more day, weeks, months, years... your life is worth it, etc. etc, etc." For the sake of this post, why can't we just stick to the $$ limit and see what we can come up with?

For the price limit you mentioned, I'd go with the P95. I've owned the P95, as well as a 9ve and the Pf9. I think the Ruger offers the best value / quality in this class. I do know that there is a big difference in grip and frame size of the pistols on the list, so make sure you are comfortable with the grip and controls. I have not owned the Taurus or Kahr so I can't comment on them but I'd certainly trust the Ruger, S&W and KelTec to do the job.

Top Bottom