• ...and so much more!
  • Best $300 Semi Auto

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    that's pretty disrespectful to those who only mean to help

why bother starting a thread and wasting peoples time when you are going to pick up the first one on your list?

OK first off I didn't mean to offend anybody. I apologize if I did. I know you are trying to be helpful and I appreciate that. I have had a rough few days and guess it shows in some of my post. So on that note again I did not mean to offend you or anyone else if I happened to do so. I originally had different plans but just a few days ago I lost my job so I had to change plans. I am still going to buy a pistol for the reasons I mentioned but now my budget constraints are very tight that's the reason for this poll and thread. I had originally panned on buying a couple nice pistols but now you can see what I'm up against for the time being.

:cheers: Have a drink on me my friend. And one for me while your at it since I don't drink anymore.

Secondly I really don't know what I'm going to do now, because of the responses I have gotten including yours. I am going to take a little more time and do some more research to make sure I get the right gun and stay within my budget constraints.

not trying to do that at all. We through all this 6-7 years ago myself.

You asked about a self defense gun, several of us have all be down this road.

None of us plan on getting in a gunfight, nor do we plan to fire 1000 rounds in a gun fight, but that's a good start to familiarizing yourself with your handgun.

that may be true, but by having a gun, you are saying you'd like a fighting chance to live.

if you have that gun on your side and you are at a mall and someone starts shooting at you, you are responsible for every bullet you send back at the bad guy. If you miss and kill a kid, that is on you.

not saying Glock is the be all, end all. An XD, M&P, Ruger SR9c or 1911 would be just as useful. My problem is with cheap guns that do more harm than good because they SUCK to shoot and people that own them tend to never shoot them.

Not being proficient with your handgun is just as dangerous to others stuck in a bad situation. I remember EARLY on here at INGO asking about getting a $300 gun, and someone asked my if my wife and four kids lives were worth more than another $150 difference.

I'm not trying to be a wise ass with you... I had a Sigma... Makarov .380... even a crappy Llama .45 ACP. I wouldn't waste my time in this thread if I didn't think it was worth it.

Thank you again for your valued input.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    been there with you on the job loss thing, wife and I both in 2010. We basically rebooted life and started over in new town and I'm down to one handgun, so I feel ya.

Good luck in your search and job huntin.

Get something you will shoot every time you can afford ammo.

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    I voted P95. Simple, reliable, rugged. The op posted he chose 9mm because of ammunition price in an effort to be able to practice with the gun. This is the most important point to take from his post. Even the most expensive gun in the hands of a shooter who is inexperienced is not going to be accurate. I have owned the P95 and a P97 in .45 acp both were accurate after I acclimated myself to the firearm, and both functioned flawlessly. I have also owned a glock. Glocks are a fine firearm and in the hands of an EXPERIENCED shooter are very accurate. The only advantage I saw with the glock was magazine capacity. Studies have shown that self defense situation is usually mitigated in less than 5 shots, so I don’t see this as a valid comparison in debating a self defense firearm. It is all about what you’re comfortable with. I personally having currently and in the past owned both automatics and revolvers always seem to come back to the revolver as I seem to be more accurate with them.
    To the OP read this article:
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob62.html
    Might help you reinforce your decision.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I voted P95. Simple, reliable, rugged. The op posted he chose 9mm because of ammunition price in an effort to be able to practice with the gun. This is the most important point to take from his post. Even the most expensive gun in the hands of a shooter who is inexperienced is not going to be accurate. I have owned the P95 and a P97 in .45 acp both were accurate after I acclimated myself to the firearm, and both functioned flawlessly. I have also owned a glock. Glocks are a fine firearm and in the hands of an EXPERIENCED shooter are very accurate. The only advantage I saw with the glock was magazine capacity. Studies have shown that self defense situation is usually mitigated in less than 5 shots, so I don’t see this as a valid comparison in debating a self defense firearm. It is all about what you’re comfortable with. I personally having currently and in the past owned both automatics and revolvers always seem to come back to the revolver as I seem to be more accurate with them.
    To the OP read this article:
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob62.html
    Might help you reinforce your decision.

Thank you. Wow what a great article. I appreciate you posting it. Rep inbound to you. :yesway:

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    You should check the cdnn catalog S&W 6906 $330 and 5906 $300 are very good choices for the price. If you could get up to $400 the Ruger SR9 is a great choice also.

Id also take a p95 over a sigma anyday but they are huge bricks and wouldn't recommend it for carry.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I would suggest the S&W Sigma, but stay away from the 1st Generation! You can find them for right at $300, likely with two hi-caps. All the reviews of the recent models of the Sigma say reliability is good. Of course some folks have issues with the trigger, but I know one PD that used to issue that gun, and everyone was able to qualify even with the "horrible" trigger.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I also voted Ruger on your list, cause of the previous listed reasons, built like a tank, very reliable, easy to shoot (all though the trigger isn't all that great but not bad enough to be a reason to not buy it), & you can throw it at the bad guy and give him a concussion after you run out of ammo :D.

Now with that said I also agree with the used Glock route if you can find one at your price limit. Having owned both the Ruger and Glock I can say for me the Glock wins due to many of the above listed reasons that makes the Ruger a good choice (except for throwing at the bad guy, cause they just aint that heavy :):), but they would be a LOT easier to CC if your want to. A glock 19 or 17 will be a ton easier to carry than the Ruger.

Another one I would go with is the Smith and Wesson 5906, that also is in your price range (used Police trade in), they are built like the Rugers (including being a heavy gun, but that makes it a very easy shooter). I had one as my first Police issue gun, put several thousand rounds through it, and never had a problem with it. IMHO they are a little easier to carry that the Ruger, the grip is not quite as bulky, and the trigger is a lot better.

Prayers said for your job situation.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I also voted Ruger on your list, cause of the previous listed reasons, built like a tank, very reliable, easy to shoot (all though the trigger isn't all that great but not bad enough to be a reason to not buy it), & you can throw it at the bad guy and give him a concussion after you run out of ammo :D.

Now with that said I also agree with the used Glock route if you can find one at your price limit. Having owned both the Ruger and Glock I can say for me the Glock wins due to many of the above listed reasons that makes the Ruger a good choice (except for throwing at the bad guy, cause they just aint that heavy :):), but they would be a LOT easier to CC if your want to. A glock 19 or 17 will be a ton easier to carry than the Ruger.

Another one I would go with is the Smith and Wesson 5906, that also is in your price range (used Police trade in), they are built like the Rugers (including being a heavy gun, but that makes it a very easy shooter). I had one as my first Police issue gun, put several thousand rounds through it, and never had a problem with it. IMHO they are a little easier to carry that the Ruger, the grip is not quite as bulky, and the trigger is a lot better.

Prayers said for your job situation.

Thank you. I will look into those as well. And all prayers are much appreciated.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My list would go something like this:

Used Gen 3 Glock
    FNP 9
    Sig sp 2022

That would probably be about where my list stops, those options are too good to go much further imo. Not saying any of the others are junk, but there are better options in a similiar price point.

Top Bottom