• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Best $300 Semi Auto

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Let's get real! Some of do have a budget or target price and we want to stick to it, for whatever reason. Everyone always says "Just save up for a few more day, weeks, months, years... your life is worth it, etc. etc, etc." For the sake of this post, why can't we just stick to the $$ limit and see what we can come up with?

For the price limit you mentioned, I'd go with the P95. I've owned the P95, as well as a 9ve and the Pf9. I think the Ruger offers the best value / quality in this class. I do know that there is a big difference in grip and frame size of the pistols on the list, so make sure you are comfortable with the grip and controls. I have not owned the Taurus or Kahr so I can't comment on them but I'd certainly trust the Ruger, S&W and KelTec to do the job.

Thanks for your input. I simply will ignore anymore post like those others. I know they have a cult following but you nailed it on the head. Besides I wouldn't have put something on the list that I wasn't confident in. ;)

You know the funny thing is that more people have been killed by a .22LR than any glock or other caliber gun for that matter. Kind of ironic isn't it.

Maybe I should get a cricket .22LR and just carry it on a sling. :D

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Not sure of your status, but if you have any affliliation with LE, EMS or active/retired military, Glock will give a discount that makes your head swim. I recently had same type of thoughts and when turned on the glock discount the choice was easy. Brand new 9MM for not much more than your max price.

Thank you but no I am not. I know Ruger does the same for any first responders. My buddy who is a fireman was just telling me about it the other day. I think that is great.

Last edited:

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I voted for the P95. It was my first handgun, and I absolutely love it. It is a bit big to carry, but has been 100% reliable with cheap federal bulk ammo.

I got it for basically 310 OTD after FFL fee.

No matter what you choose, I'm sure you will be more than happy.

I am looking at picking up a CW9 to carry, for what its worth.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Ruger LC9....can be had for around $320-330 on sale. I just like a hammer. I also have a CW9 (and voted for it on your list), both have been very reliable, just MY preference for a hammer fired sidearm has pushed the CW9 into the safe.

Yes, you can spend $500 and get a more expensive sidearm, but the ones you've listed (especially the Ruger and the Kahr) have been proven to be very reliable.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Ruger LC9....can be had for around $320-330 on sale. I just like a hammer. I also have a CW9 (and voted for it on your list), both have been very reliable, just MY preference for a hammer fired sidearm has pushed the CW9 into the safe.

Yes, you can spend $500 and get a more expensive sidearm, but the ones you've listed (especially the Ruger and the Kahr) have been proven to be very reliable.

This is what an LC9 feels like in my hand.

images

I have a buddy that loves his but they are not for me. Would be a good gun for my wife once she gets good and comfortable shooting I think.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks for your input. I simply will ignore anymore post like those others. I know they have a cult following but you nailed it on the head. Besides I wouldn't have put something on the list that I wasn't confident in. ;)

You know the funny thing is that more people have been killed by a .22LR than any glock or other caliber gun for that matter. Kind of ironic isn't it.

Maybe I should get a cricket .22LR and just carry it on a sling. :D
    You can kill an 800lb + gator with one well placed shot from a 22.

Vince

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Ripley County
    Another option that might be in your price range is the Sig 225/P6. They have went up in price since there was a flood of them a couple of years ago but still very reasonable. The only downside is the single stack magazines. I have one from 1981 I believe and it has fed everything I have put through it. FMJ, HP, etc. Extra magazines are now available too around $25 dollars each. Those are for real sig magazines, not the ProMag ones.

I have also seen Sig P250 at reasonable prices but I don't know much about those.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    My first gun was a Ruger P95dc. I loved every shot of it, but eventually traded it away for something else, and regretted it ever since.

Just last fall I picked up a used stainless one from gunbroker... including sale price, shipping, and FFL fee, was a grand total of $239. - You simply can't beat that.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    My first gun was a Ruger P95dc. I loved every shot of it, but eventually traded it away for something else, and regretted it ever since.

Just last fall I picked up a used stainless one from gunbroker... including sale price, shipping, and FFL fee, was a grand total of $239. - You simply can't beat that.

Wow! Wish I could find one for that kind of money. Everything I have been seeing is $350-ish locally and $299-$350 online so by the time ship and transfer fee would end up being about the same. :( Still worth it IMO but we all love a deal!

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Assuming you want to stick with 9mm and remain in your price range, then the Ruger P95, IMO, wins hands down. I EDC a Glock, own several, and have fired many more. Glocks are great, no doubt about it. But, with the parameters you set, the Ruger is tops. Plainfield Shooting Supply has them for $312 + tax.

They can be found used for $250-$300 fairly often. I own two of them currently and have owned three others. I have approx 8k rounds through my two and around 3k rounds through others I've owned/fired. I've had exactly four failures to fire, due solely to me trying some cheap Egyptian surplus ammo. Everything else, FMJ and HP, 115 grn, 124 grn, and 147 grn, has worked flawlessly.

If it was my decision, I'd do as others suggest and find a good used Glock 17 or 19. I prefer the Glock simply because it's a little lighter and thinner and fits my need for a carry weapon better. But, I've carried a P95 many times and have one beside the bed. It's rugged, reliable, and accurate. It should last for many years and thousands of rounds if properly maintained.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Ok please do this then: Please don't turn this into a pissing match.

not trying to do that at all. We through all this 6-7 years ago myself.

You asked about a self defense gun, several of us have all be down this road.

For one, I don't plan on getting in a gunfight and firing 1000 or anywhere near that many rounds consecutive

None of us plan on getting in a gunfight, nor do we plan to fire 1000 rounds in a gun fight, but that's a good start to familiarizing yourself with your handgun.

if the need arises I'll most likely be dead before the first magazine is empty.

that may be true, but by having a gun, you are saying you'd like a fighting chance to live.

For 2 my gun is going to be on my side or on my nightstand

if you have that gun on your side and you are at a mall and someone starts shooting at you, you are responsible for every bullet you send back at the bad guy. If you miss and kill a kid, that is on you.

Thank you again for your enthusiasm and support for Glock firearms I'm sure they appreciate it as well.

not saying Glock is the be all, end all. An XD, M&P, Ruger SR9c or 1911 would be just as useful. My problem is with cheap guns that do more harm than good because they SUCK to shoot and people that own them tend to never shoot them.

Not being proficient with your handgun is just as dangerous to others stuck in a bad situation. I remember EARLY on here at INGO asking about getting a $300 gun, and someone asked my if my wife and four kids lives were worth more than another $150 difference.

I'm not trying to be a wise ass with you... I had a Sigma... Makarov .380... even a crappy Llama .45 ACP. I wouldn't waste my time in this thread if I didn't think it was worth it.

Top Bottom