Best 9mm to target shoot (plink) with?.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I carry a G19 everyday, Just wanted something a little different to plink with. I went to my LGS the other day and handled quite a few different pistols but couldn't quite make my mind up as what one would be the most fun for just target shooting.

So you have a Glock and want to shoot something besides a Glock? Blasphemy! You must bow before Gaston! ;)

Now let me help you out. 1911, 1911, 1911. 9mm 1911 is just to much freaking fun. The RIA will be the one in that price range. So long as it is a range whore they should be fine.

Or a CZ75 if you want something that works and shoots well. :rolleyes:

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    If it's just for plinking, I can't think of any full size pistol that I haven't enjoyed shooting. If the $500 mark is your budget, I would agree with most that the Glock 17 or M&P is a great choice. Although for a little more loot, the HK VP9 has been way more accurate out of the box, and personally, is more fun to shoot, as with its modularity in changing the grip has made it fit like it was made for my hands.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Beretta 92FS/M9
    9mm ammo is relatively affordable
    manageable recoil
    very accurate
    natural point of aim
    used ones affordable and available, $400-550 for low/miid round count
    mags plentiful and cheap (15 rd)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes I carry a G19 and am proficient in shooting it but its not as fun for me to shoot vs a dedicated full size pistol for just range fun. But yea I may consider a 1911 in 9mm something to think about for sure. But I do like the idea of the Beretta. I would try a Taurus version as well if I could find it in black. I don't feel gangster enough to wield one in full stainless!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yea Ive thought about the Beretta as well or maybe one of the Taurus variants?... Any one with any thoughts on these. They both feel very nice in the hand, an being an all metal gun Im sure shooting the 9mm cartridge it wouldn't be like shooting much at all with recoil.

I have done quite a bit of shooting with a Taurus PT92, in my opinion, it is probably the sweetest shooting 9mm I have fired, very smooth trigger (factory), and extremely accurate and consistent. I would not hesitate to buy one.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for the info Tommy. I've wondered just those things. I've never had a chance to fire one. But have held quite a few of them. An they feel very nice an appear to be well made.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Thanks for the info Tommy. I've wondered just those things. I've never had a chance to fire one. But have held quite a few of them. An they feel very nice an appear to be well made.

I'll add: the PT92 is probably the easiest to keep on target of any handgun I've fired, very minimal recoil! For the money, especially if you find a nice used one, you just can't go wrong. :yesway:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks bud. Yea I'm really thinking I may go that route I like the way they feel in the hand an how they look. Just not crazy about the all stainless. But that seems to be the only ones I see in the stores.

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    4487CZ_Motivator_zps092eeee4.jpg

Just a Commie High Power. :laugh:

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I like to either shoot my 226 or 228 and sometimes they can be found pretty reasonable.

Top Bottom