Best 9mm to target shoot (plink) with?.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't carry a 9mm so I won't weigh in on make/model choice, but I will note my plinking gun is my EDC. The more practice I get with it, in whatever form, the better! Repetitions, baby! Practice, practice, practice.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    One of the best shooting 9 mm's I've plinked with is a Sig P6. I do also love my 226. That 210 suggestion would be great, but I haven't found one in the 500.00 range yet.
    I have no experience with a 1911 in 9, but I would IMAGINE one would be a pretty smooth plinker.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    One of the best shooting 9 mm's I've plinked with is a Sig P6. I do also love my 226. That 210 suggestion would be great, but I haven't found one in the 500.00 range yet.
    I have no experience with a 1911 in 9, but I would IMAGINE one would be a pretty smooth plinker.

I just bought a P6 and most recently a german P228 for this very reason, plinking. Excellent firearms worthy of carry but I'll stick to my modern sig 2022 and sig 220 for EDC

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    About 20 years ago I bought a LNIB full-sized EAA Witness with the so-called "Wonderfinish" at Bradi's. At the time genuine CZ 75's were virtual Unobtanium and I had been intrigued with the platform from reading the late Col. Cooper's opinions on the design. IIRC, the price with two full-cap mags was $225.00. FWIW, these all steel pistols are now generally referred to as "small frame" models.

Over the ensuing years I've run a bunch (circa 8.5 - 9 K rds.) of assorted 9x19 ammo through it running the gamut from domestic and foreign generic FMJ's in both 115 and 124 gr flavors, Premium JHPs from 115 to 147 gr. plus a lot of cast bullet handloads and 'warm' NATO surplus ball. It fit my hands exceedingly well, has always worked flawlessly, hits right where I point. Besides routine cleaning and lubing, it has never required more in the way of maintenance than a routine spring replacement at roughly 5 K rds. Nothing has broken nor worn out and that "Wonderfinish" shows only minor 'polishing' wear on the contact surfaces of the slide and frame rails.

These can still be found for well under your $500 price on the used market, and I'd highly recommend giving them a really close look should you run across one. I've spend quite a bit more and gotten quite a bit less in terms of value received in my time. I truly consider it to have been perhaps the very best "bargain-priced" handgun I've ever bought.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I like my SR9. It's a good shooter.
    Love my 9E which is just an SR9 w/o all the safety stuff on it. I must also note my Sig P229 is a nice one as well.

True, I carry a 40 cal EDC (Shield or a Beretta Cougar) but that doesn't stop me from shooting other guns as well. I have near 300 firearms and I like to shoot them all. I do shoot my EDC alot too as I want to be good with it but there is nothing wrong with variety. :)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Don't hate me on me to bad fellas, I put one of the PT92s on layaway today (in the black finish of course). He said he would throw in 2 extra mags with it so it kind of sold me, LOL. Plus I just really like the overall feel of the pistol. An the weight of it. Just not to sure about the sights but with practice Im sure they will be good to go.

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    About 20 years ago I bought a LNIB full-sized EAA Witness with the so-called "Wonderfinish" at Bradi's. At the time genuine CZ 75's were virtual Unobtanium and I had been intrigued with the platform from reading the late Col. Cooper's opinions on the design. IIRC, the price with two full-cap mags was $225.00. FWIW, these all steel pistols are now generally referred to as "small frame" models.

Over the ensuing years I've run a bunch (circa 8.5 - 9 K rds.) of assorted 9x19 ammo through it running the gamut from domestic and foreign generic FMJ's in both 115 and 124 gr flavors, Premium JHPs from 115 to 147 gr. plus a lot of cast bullet handloads and 'warm' NATO surplus ball. It fit my hands exceedingly well, has always worked flawlessly, hits right where I point. Besides routine cleaning and lubing, it has never required more in the way of maintenance than a routine spring replacement at roughly 5 K rds. Nothing has broken nor worn out and that "Wonderfinish" shows only minor 'polishing' wear on the contact surfaces of the slide and frame rails.

These can still be found for well under your $500 price on the used market, and I'd highly recommend giving them a really close look should you run across one. I've spend quite a bit more and gotten quite a bit less in terms of value received in my time. I truly consider it to have been perhaps the very best "bargain-priced" handgun I've ever bought.

Don't forget to look in pawn shops. I found a Tanfoglion TZ75 Model 88 (before the witness) in box of old pistols for 225.00 with no mags. They didn't have any idea what is was. It looked pretty rough when I bought it, probably about 500 rounds and never cleaned, it looks pretty nice now. Shoots great and like you said fit my hand beautifully.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    This

[video=youtube;4nT57xgoUEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nT57xgoUEU&list=UUZ-qxagOkAmCEP-Tu6YliUQ[/video]

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I only have one 9mm range gun and it's perfectly suited for that purpose.

Beretta 92 INOX

Holds tons of rounds for ringing reactive steel targets, has a long sight radius, and is big/heavy enough to absorb almost all the recoil.

I haven't even shopped holsters for this thing, because I know I would never carry it. Range toy only.

Top Bottom