• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    BSA banning squirt guns because they are simulated firearms makes me want to ask if they still have a Marksmanship merit badge? They did back in my days in the scouts (that was in the 1960s), and it was one of the merit badges I had the most fun with.

Same here. In fact, the first .22 I bought was a Mossberg 44 U.S. because it's what I used to get my Rifle and Shotgun merit badge.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close

I read that this morning. The new safety guidelines evidently also recommend no marshmallow guns, and note that rubber band guns are for TARGETS ONLY and should not be pointed at humans. I'm glad that my son earned his Eagle before this crap hit the fan.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Have you seen the guns they use these days? I support wait times on acquiring them.

These things are only good for spraying large amounts of water droplets over a wide area in a short period of time. No person needs that much.

Haha sounds logical or like "common sense gun control" if you ask me!

This stuff is ridiculous!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    BSA banning squirt guns because they are simulated firearms makes me want to ask if they still have a Marksmanship merit badge? They did back in my days in the scouts (that was in the 1960s), and it was one of the merit badges I had the most fun with.

The BSA has a Rifle Merit Badge, a Shotgun Merit Badge, and an Archery Merit Badge....all requiring the boy to achieve a certain level of accuracy through plenty of practice and hands on training. As far as I know, there was no Marksmanship Merit Badge.

Them equating a water toy with a simulated firearm is stupid...I mean STOOOOPID.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    It is really sad to see this group tanking the way it has in the past couple of years. Miguel Jr and I bailed on them, sadly. And Mini Miguel never made it in.

To those who say we should have stayed and fought the good fight, I have to respectfully disagree. We did stay and attempt to fight until BSA itself rolled on the "orientation o' scouts" issue. If they are going to ban water guns, how long do you fellas think the shooting merit badges are going to last?

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Honestly, glad my boy dropped out, this is pathetic...

And make sure you wear saftey classes in the shower...that water can put an eye out...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The BSA has a Rifle Merit Badge, a Shotgun Merit Badge, and an Archery Merit Badge....all requiring the boy to achieve a certain level of accuracy through plenty of practice and hands on training. As far as I know, there was no Marksmanship Merit Badge.

Them equating a water toy with a simulated firearm is stupid...I mean STOOOOPID.

The Marksmanship Merit Badge was active from 1911 to 1966 when it was replaced by rifle shooting.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I have a lot of great memories of scouting as a youth earning my Eagle Scout. I was a Cub, Weblo, and Scout leader, as well as a trainer of other leaders.
    My boy became disinterested and did not make Eagle, but that is OK with me. Their policies started going down hill and I realized it was not the scouting of old day.

I still believe Boy Scouts is a great organization. They just need to get rid of the idiots who are paid to make these stupid policy decisions. Unless they change back, I would not recommend it for my grandchildren, and I think that is very sad.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Feel free to bash them all you want over 1 or 2 decisions...but the organization is worth saving. My Eagle Scout is the ONLY thing from my time as a child that is still on my resume to this day. It gets the MOST comments of any single line on my resume. I am disappointed with some of the decisions the leaders have made...but its a volunteer organization. Feel free to step up and try to change it rather than sit on some message board and blast away about it.

I'm not bashing the organization. My son earned his Eagle and I have served as an assistant scoutmaster in cub scouts, boy scouts, and venturing. I respect the positive outcomes that the BSA has provided for millions of young men and women.

I'm simply bashing an idiotic position re: squirt guns and marshmallow guns.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    They actually make the boys wear gloves and eye protection during the gun cleaning portions of the rifle & shotgun merit badges.
    I've not heard this 'trickle down' through our troop yet...
    But yeah, might as well kick the whole program to the curb now :rolleyes:

Top Bottom