• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Have watched the Boy Scouts change since the 70s, sometimes I think they need to just shelve the organization and wait for better days.

BSA National is infested with homosexuals, progressives, and the sexually confused. This new policy change is no accident, and it's stupid. It will drive way membership....they shoud have just opened the Cub Scouts to boys and girls aged Kindergarten to fifth grade. If they did that the Girl Scouts would probably just disappear.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The last National Jambo at AP Hill was in 2010. The scouts were kicked out by the feds and now the Jambo is held at The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve, West Virginia. The next National Jambo is this summer. They hold them every four years usually. this will be the second one at the WV location and anticipated attendance is about 40,000 over the course of the event. It will cost you $1400 per person to attend, plus you'll need about $600 in new uniforms.
    I am sorry for the bad info.So they afterv2010 had very little govt funding?Could they chose at that point not to give in to the PC crowd? Does the park service run it now? Learned something new....thanks

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If it wasn't responding to the threat or vulnerability of being sued, perhaps. If it is a purely voluntary shift for BSA, I'd be somewhat surprised.

I agree. I have a suspicion that in light of the media coverage the transgender girl from NJ stirred up, perhaps the BSA is trying to avoid costly court/legal fees.
    It makes me think of a law a year or so ago that relates to the LGBT community and discrimination concerns. I know as an example our church had to review our building use policy out of concerns that we could be forced to allow anyone to rent the building under that LGBT rights law. I say all that to say maybe BSA is changing policy rather than risk a further reaching court ruling that may affect their leadership/chartering organizations as many BSA troops meet at churches and such ruling could have huge effects

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I am sorry for the bad info.So they afterv2010 had very little govt funding?Could they chose at that point not to give in to the PC crowd? Does the park service run it now? Learned something new....thanks

From Wikipedia..

The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve, often shortened as Summit Bechtel Reserve (SBR), located in Fayette and Raleigh Counties, near Beckley,[SUP][1][/SUP] West Virginia, is one of four facilities managed by the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). The Summit Bechtel Reserve is the home of the National Scout Jamboree, the Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base, the James C. Justice National Scout Camp, and the John D. Tickle National Training and Leadership Center. The reserve comprises properties totaling over 14,000 acres (57 km[SUP]2[/SUP]). The facility's opening event was the 2013 National Scout Jamboree.
    On November 18, 2009, the BSA announced the acquisition of the property comprising the main 10,600 acre site of what is now The Summit Bechtel Reserve. Its acquisition was made possible through a donation from the Stephen D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation.[SUP][2][/SUP] The $50 million donation is the largest in the history of the BSA.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]
    On October 22, 2010 the BSA announced that total donations had reached $100 million, including a $25 million donation from the Suzanne and Walter Scott Foundation.[SUP][4][/SUP] Both Stephen Bechtel and Walter Scott, Jr. are recipients of the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award (DESA).[SUP][5][/SUP] October 22 is also the day the BSA announced the dates of the 2013 National Scout Jamboree and the day ground was broken at SBR with 22 golden shovels.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] The Scott funds funded the building of the Scott Scouting Valley and the Scott Visitor Center. Another gift from T. Michael and Gillian Goodrich led to the creation of centerpiece lake on the main site property now known as Goodrich Lake. Mike Goodrich is also a DESA recipient.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP]
    The Summit Bechtel Reserve is located adjacent to the New River Gorge National River.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] Managed by the National Park Service (NPS), the National River comprises approximately 70,000 acres (280 km[SUP]2[/SUP]) that exemplifies the typically rugged Appalachian Mountains, and is a popular whitewater rafting, mountain biking, rock climbing, and tourism destination.[SUP][9][/SUP] It is also the home of the well known New River Gorge Bridge, which hosts an annual base jumping event each October.
    The current goals of construction at the site are developing infrastructure and providing access to the area’s resources for outdoor activities. The Summit is expected to inject $25.3 million into the local economy annually.[SUP][10][/SUP]

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That was OLD Testament law...what`s the difficulty here? Jesus did away with that. And it`s your decision to believe that the Creator is not quantifiable, but that`s illogical. To believe that the complex human body just "happened" after some explosion from some "cosmic soup", and that all the complex details of this planet that sustain that human life "just happened", it would more likely that an explosion at a printing plant caused the Websters Dictionary to appear. Just because you choose to not accept truth, as truth, in no way takes away from the validity of truth. Contrary to what today`s culture and society want to believe, there by definition can be only one truth, not many.

How awesome for you, that out of the billions of people who have lived and died before you....out of the thousands of different religions and sects that have existed....that you, in this time and place, know with absolute certainty the secrets of the universe.

I sometimes wish I had such chutzpah. But after giving it some thought, I'm glad that I don't.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I dont see this as being the same as a transgendered person. This describes it as someone who has significant mental distress due to the situation. The transgendered people I know are quite comfortable and sane.

Second Part. Are the Boy Scouts a private entity? If so, as long as what they do does not harm others then they can have whatever rules they want. Couldn't care less. Are you mad that boys cant join the Girl Scouts. Then change it. Use your child for your agenda and make them the poster boy for selling cookies (its the only thing that I know about the Girl Scouts). and Gregr, saying "infected with diversity" makes you seem so closed minded and scared.

Well that's convenient that you can just decide to ignore the real psychological diagnoses that is now commonly called transgenderism because it doesn't fit with what you think you know. I have to question your definition of "sane" when the people you describe believe something other than reality. I also have to question why you would assume someone that has a mental health issue is necessarily insane.

Lastly, before lecturing someone on the value of diversity by focusing solely on superficial diversity, perhaps you should apply those same sentiments to diversity of thought.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I read some of the posts here...but I came to this as I was reading the hysteria.

This decision, right or wrong, has WAY more of an impact in the news and on the 0.3% of the population that is transgender(that's what a quick google said are the predicted number of transgender people in the US. )
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

As some said, of that 0.3%, even less would care to do BS's I am sure.

We, as a conservative society are much more 'upset' about this, than are the people that will be impacted. There are over 103k Boy Scout Units in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America

There are 318.9 million people in the US. There are 32 million young men(about the same number of women) in the US from the age of 5-19 if I am reading this page right.

https://www.census.gov/population/age/data/2012comp.html.

Math gets fuzzy here, but if 0.3% of the population identifies as Transgender...and that's all ages. My guess is less than that of young people identify as that. I am not sure what the 'transgender' definition is these days...and don't care to look it up.

What I am getting at is by the numbers, if I was a troop leader. I would go on teaching kids to do boy scout stuff and leave politics out of the troop activities. Agree or disagree with it, for 99.9% of the scouts, this will change nothing unitil adults around them lose their **** and make a big deal of it. Yes, they may see a person that they question the gender at a youth function, but they'll see that in the real world anyway. So I am going to say its still a group I would be proud to have a son participate in if I was lucky enough to have one.

I have watched my daughter do Girl Scouts...and it SUCKS in comparison. My daughter wants to learn to do knots, fire building, and other cool stuff we did as Boy Scouts and she doesn't get that opportunity in Girl Scouts. I will be teaching her at home. thinking about trying to hook her up with an adventure scout unit as she gets out of GS's....and I would still be proud to have her be part of such a group(and would proudly volunteer to help).

87IROC. Eagle Scout, class of '93.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Body dismorphic disorder includes 70 pound girls that appear totally sane, but see their bodies as being something that they are not, namely obese. Many of these "Happy, comfortable, and sane" girls slowly starve themselves to death - is this not a mental disorder?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I read some of the posts here...but I came to this as I was reading the hysteria.

This decision, right or wrong, has WAY more of an impact in the news and on the 0.3% of the population that is transgender(that's what a quick google said are the predicted number of transgender people in the US. )
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

As some said, of that 0.3%, even less would care to do BS's I am sure.

We, as a conservative society are much more 'upset' about this, than are the people that will be impacted. There are over 103k Boy Scout Units in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America

There are 318.9 million people in the US. There are 32 million young men(about the same number of women) in the US from the age of 5-19 if I am reading this page right.

https://www.census.gov/population/age/data/2012comp.html.

Math gets fuzzy here, but if 0.3% of the population identifies as Transgender...and that's all ages. My guess is less than that of young people identify as that. I am not sure what the 'transgender' definition is these days...and don't care to look it up.

What I am getting at is by the numbers, if I was a troop leader. I would go on teaching kids to do boy scout stuff and leave politics out of the troop activities. Agree or disagree with it, for 99.9% of the scouts, this will change nothing unitil adults around them lose their **** and make a big deal of it. Yes, they may see a person that they question the gender at a youth function, but they'll see that in the real world anyway. So I am going to say its still a group I would be proud to have a son participate in if I was lucky enough to have one.

I have watched my daughter do Girl Scouts...and it SUCKS in comparison. My daughter wants to learn to do knots, fire building, and other cool stuff we did as Boy Scouts and she doesn't get that opportunity in Girl Scouts. I will be teaching her at home. thinking about trying to hook her up with an adventure scout unit as she gets out of GS's....and I would still be proud to have her be part of such a group(and would proudly volunteer to help).

87IROC. Eagle Scout, class of '93.

Heh, I was in girl scouts for a while. My mom was one of the leaders. Everyone thought she was cool, except for me...lol. I hated the uniforms, hate dresses, etc. We did do some fun things, hiking, biking, camping, horseback riding, canoeing. We did sewing...meh. When I was young, I wanted to be a boy, mostly because i hated dresses and dolls and wanted to pee in the woods instead of running home to the bathroom...lol. Boy stuff was much more fun. I can't imagine my parents actually allowing me to join boy scouts, let alone actually making a big stink so i could join boy scouts. I'm sure the answer would have been a big "NO." There are times when kids need to learn that you don't get everything you want, instead of more of this snowflake sh*t.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    A few years back when Indiana's prohibition on gay marriage was first struck down there was a window of about three days before the attorney general got a stay on it.

Two dear lady friends of my wife and I decided to go for it and got their marriage license the same day. The next day I served as a combination best man/ring bearer (I called myself the best STRAIGHT man) at their marriage. It's still one of the high points of my life that they hold me in such high regard that they honored this broken-down old flatfoot in such a way.

Yes, at one time there was a moral standard, that we all agreed on, that said these two wonderful ladies should not be able to marry.

That standard was wrong, and I'm glad to see it consigned to the ash heap of history.

A great many of us have traditional, biblical-based values and ethics. The emotional wailing of the left is that refusing to embrace and endorse perverse activity is hateful. That couldn`t be more inaccurate. I wish no one any harm, or ill-will, but I will not condone, nor embrace perversion. My value system comes from Gods` Holy Word and I am entitled to share my beliefs and share Gods` Gospel as He leads me to. Rejecting immoral activity is simply not hateful, and Christians are not obligated to let ourselves be shamed or shoted down by the hateful, emotional rhetoric of the left.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    So the old testament no longer applies? What did Jesus say about gay marriage or gays in general? Even if there is a creator what says that your version or the bible is the truth? How many belief systems are there currently?

There is a single "version" of the Christian Bible. There are multiple translations designed to be more readable because they are supposedly written in more common language. Nevertheless, Gods` Holy Word remains unchanged, and the principles described in the Bible are authoritative, literal, and carry the full weight of the command of the Creator. You don`t have to like them, but one day, every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess Jesus as Lord, and we all will give an account.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    How awesome for you, that out of the billions of people who have lived and died before you....out of the thousands of different religions and sects that have existed....that you, in this time and place, know with absolute certainty the secrets of the universe.

I sometimes wish I had such chutzpah. But after giving it some thought, I'm glad that I don't.

Read the Word of God, and you too can have insight into His Mind, but you can also know His Commandments. It`s a tired old tactic to complain that no one can know His Mind, because just the opposite is true.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Theswe is a single "version" of the Christian Bible. There are multiple translations designed to be more readable because they are supposedly written in more common language. Nevertheless, Gods` Holy Word remains unchanged, and the principles described in the Bible are authoritative, literal, and carry the full weight of the command of the Creator. You don`t have to like them, but one day, every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess Jesus as Lord, and we all will give an account.
    Answer the question. What did Jesus say about Gays (OK from the one true version of God's Word) and are you saying the Old Testament is no longer applicable. Since you bought it up, what is the one true version of God's Word and can I get a copy?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Answer the question. What did Jesus say about Gays (OK from the one true version of God's Word) and are you saying the Old Testament is no longer applicable. Since you bought it up, what is the one true version of God's Word and can I get a copy?

Jesus said He came to fulfill the law, that is to say, He became the substitute for our sin payment. He did NOT change Gods` design or plan for families, and God said He made marriage between one MAN, and one WOMAN. Typically when someone starts flinging the emotional rhetoric, a discussion is impossible, because they begin to challenge everything and can`t hear reason. THIS is where THIS is here with you. But if you really want Gods` Word, any King James Bible is a great start. I challenge you to pray to God and ask Him to reveal Himself to you.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Jesus said He came to fulfill the law, that is to say, He became the substitute for our sin payment. He did NOT change Gods` design or plan for families, and God said He made marriage between one MAN, and one WOMAN. Typically when someone starts flinging the emotional rhetoric, a discussion is impossible, because they begin to challenge everything and can`t hear reason. THIS is where THIS is here with you. But if you really want Gods` Word, any King James Bible is a great start. I challenge you to pray to God and ask Him to reveal Himself to you.
    Please tell me where I "starts flinging the emotional rhetoric"? I asked for clarification based on your responses. Isn't this discussion? Look in the mirror. /discussion

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC

Genesis 18:20, 19:5, Leviticus 18:22, 20:13, Roman's 1:26-27, 1 corinthians 6:9-10, and 1 Timothy 1:10 should get you a solid start

Top Bottom