• 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    More mob rule....

This is our future. Offend a liberal and they can turn it into a movement by whipping up as much emotion over the issue as is possible. Our media and more and more of our people live by emotion alone. Logic has no value. Emotion rules.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yea so the wright brothers could go around suing everybody setting us back 20 years of flight technology.

Patents sure are great aren't they!
    You think that a company that creates something should have no protection from other companies duplicating what they created?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My Response:

So...Atlanta Braves Next? New York Giants (those afflicted with the heretical anomaly)? Kansas City Chiefs? Cleveland Indians?

By the way, Baltimore didn't change their name, they lost their team to Indianapolis and got a new one through expansion.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Chicago Blackhawks?? I know the NCAA started doing this with some of the schools, North Dakota Fighting Sioux

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Isn't this a repeat of 1999? I doubt it stands on appeal.

However, I keep hearing the reason "Redskins" is offensive, instead of Blackhawks or Braves, is because it hearkens to a genocide against Indians when Indians were skinned and the skins were turned in for bounties. I have a real tough time believing this is a true history. Skinning people seems like the least efficient way to prove a death and collect a bounty, even if such a bounty system were to be in place.

So, I ask, does anyone have a reliable source that this supposed source or the offensiveness is historical fact and not just some made up BS?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The point is that the Redskins organization will be deprived of any profits from these products that they had earned by maintaining the Redskins team. That is the real affect of this trademark dispute, financial harm. This is the same concept as Fenway owning the INGO logo and name.

except that all this does is remove Federal registration as a pre-emptive protection. The trademark name and logo still exist and should be enforceable in civil law under State and common law trademeark rules. May even apply in Federal court, I'm not sure. About the only thing the Redskins cant do is use CBP to impound counterfite goods being imported.

Also, if the owners do decide to change thier name/logo to something more "acceptable" guess what? ALL THE REDSKINS FANS WILL START BUYING THE NEW LOGO'D MERCHANDISE! More revenue to the owners. Sounds like they have pretty mucha win/win situation to me....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Also, if the owners do decide to change thier name/logo to something more "acceptable" guess what? ALL THE REDSKINS FANS WILL START BUYING THE NEW LOGO'D MERCHANDISE! More revenue to the owners. Sounds like they have pretty mucha win/win situation to me....

I think you are wrong, as a redskin fan that owns several pieces of merch, i would not purchase the new merch. I know for a fact a bunch of other people wouldnt either. At least not off the bat, maybe in time. If the dallas cowboys changed their name do you think all cowboys fans would rush out to buy the new stuff? There is a pride here in rooting for these teams as they have been around for a while

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I think you are wrong, as a redskin fan that owns several pieces of merch, i would not purchase the new merch. I know for a fact a bunch of other people wouldnt either. At least not off the bat, maybe in time. If the dallas cowboys changed their name do you think all cowboys fans would rush out to buy the new stuff? There is a pride here in rooting for these teams as they have been around for a while

Its the same team, the one that's been around a while. Just a new name/logo. And one the result of a forced change. No, the Gods of Marketing will be satiated with the dollars of the masses. Of that I am confident.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    More mob rule....

Yep, the mob of non-natives are not offended = native-Americans should not be offended.

The term "redskin" has always been a slur but the offended population is not large enough for anyone to care. If you're so certain it is not offensive, go wear a Redskins jersey onto a reservation.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yep, the mob of non-natives are not offended = native-Americans should not be offended.

The term "redskin" has always been a slur but the offended population is not large enough for anyone to care. If you're so certain it is not offensive, go wear a Redskins jersey onto a reservation.

They (Navajo Code Talkers) don't seem all that aggrieved....

tempWRv49_CT_0002--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Here's a decent write-up on the name origin and history: The origin of the name ?Redskins? ? FootballPerspective.com

Couple good points in there, the original name of the team was Braves to associate with the baseball team in the area, as was custom and he gives examples. Redskins came about for possibly a handful of reasons and the logo also associated with the Braves. No one including the native american coach at the time was offended. No native americans were quoted anywhere objecting, the coach did not object, neither did Jim Thorp - then a coach - and neither did any of the native american players and there were more than a few.

The objection - ironically - is a relatively recent one and none by anyone that was alive at the time. So, inevitibly is the argument that they were afraid to object. Really? Jim Thorp? Olympic champion and well integrated and celebrated hero? Don't think so. If he had an objection he'd said so. Neither did Coach Dietz, also a native american.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Thought about this yesterday. Why isn't "Native American" considered an offensive term? Should be. Who the heck does the PC bunch think they are imposing the term "American" upon peoples who are Seminole, Blackfoot, Lakota Sioux, Choctaw, Cherokee, etc. ??

The etymology of "america(s)" states the term was coined by a European cartographer in 1507, naming the area after Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci (who happened to bring back a few hundred natives from the New World as slaves).

The very term coined as acceptable and sensitive by the libs who know best is just as offensive as the term "Indian" it replaced.

PC is hypocrisy at its best.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    i think the real point is that the gov't can put enough pressure on a business to do whatever the gov't wants. This is the real issue. They can make you do what they want no matter what. A huge organization is being pushed around by the very people they pay for. its unreal what is happening in this country. it is truly the tiny minority ruling the majority. awful

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thought about this yesterday. Why isn't "Native American" considered an offensive term? Should be. Who the heck does the PC bunch think they are imposing the term "American" upon peoples who are Seminole, Blackfoot, Lakota Sioux, Choctaw, Cherokee, etc. ??

The etymology of "america(s)" states the term was coined by a European cartographer in 1507, naming the area after Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci (who happened to bring back a few hundred natives from the New World as slaves).

The very term coined as acceptable and sensitive by the libs who know best is just as offensive as the term "Indian" it replaced.

PC is hypocrisy at its best.

Russell Means said:
    I abhor the term Native American. It is a generic government term used to describe all the indigenous prisoners of the United States. These are the American Samoans, the Micronesians, the Aleuts, the original Hawaiians, and the erroneously termed Eskimos, who are actually Upiks and Inupiats. And, of course, the American Indian.I prefer the term American Indian because I know its origins . . . As an added distinction the American Indian is the only ethnic group in the United States with the American before our ethnicity . . . We were enslaved as American Indians, we were colonized as American Indians, and we will gain our freedom as American Indians, and then we will call ourselves any damn thing we choose.

Read more: American Indian versus Native American | Infoplease.com American Indian versus Native American | Infoplease.com

Top Bottom