• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Isn't this a repeat of 1999? I doubt it stands on appeal.

However, I keep hearing the reason "Redskins" is offensive, instead of Blackhawks or Braves, is because it hearkens to a genocide against Indians when Indians were skinned and the skins were turned in for bounties. I have a real tough time believing this is a true history. Skinning people seems like the least efficient way to prove a death and collect a bounty, even if such a bounty system were to be in place.

So, I ask, does anyone have a reliable source that this supposed source or the offensiveness is historical fact and not just some made up BS?

bounty_ticket.jpg

:dunno: It's not explicit about the skinning, but the genocidal aspect is there. No, I haven't yet found an alleged source.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I'm a teacher, and I was reprimanded for referring to a student as an "Oriental student". I was informed that "Oriental" s a RUG, and I should use the politically correct term of "Asian". A week later I heard a radio commercial advertising a new batch of "Asian Rugs" that had just become available. Now, what do I do? We are also not supposed to say; "sit Indian style" to the students, but instead we have been instructed to say "criss crossed applesauce".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Isn't this a repeat of 1999? I doubt it stands on appeal.

However, I keep hearing the reason "Redskins" is offensive, instead of Blackhawks or Braves, is because it hearkens to a genocide against Indians when Indians were skinned and the skins were turned in for bounties. I have a real tough time believing this is a true history. Skinning people seems like the least efficient way to prove a death and collect a bounty, even if such a bounty system were to be in place.

So, I ask, does anyone have a reliable source that this supposed source or the offensiveness is historical fact and not just some made up BS?

It is my understanding that it was scalps, not whole skins. Hauling around whole skins doesn't even make any sense, just like BehindBlueI's said. Too inefficient to be practicable.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The economy is in shambles, we're $17 TRILLION in debt, the Middle East is on fire, the IRS is mired in scandal, the Benghazi cover up, our southern border is a sieve, and as the deaths continue to mount from Fast & Furious, this is all the Democrats can find to waste time with?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "I believe that we need a more thoughtful conversation, we cannot let a minority of people -- and that's what it is, it is a minority of people -- hold a viewpoint that terrorizes the majority of people," -- Hillary Clinton

I guess that only applies to "some" minorities. :rolleyes:

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I didn't read through all the pages, please help me understand this patent thing.

so "Redskinds" is offensive, but there was only 1 organization could use it.

now, it is so offensive, millions of organizations/persons can use it.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Let's be honest. It s a crappy name. Which is fitting for a crappy city. How about if the name offends you, you don't buy their stuff, or watch their games. One man owns the team. It is his freedom to call it whatever he wants.
    FREEDOM! What a concept.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I've read the original coach for the Redskins was a "Native American" and so were a few players. They didnt seem to have a problem with the name

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I've read the original coach for the Redskins was a "Native American" and so were a few players. They didnt seem to have a problem with the name

No they didn't. Neither did Jim Thorpe. It was an alignment to the then Boston Braves (i.e. Chicago Cubs/Chicago Bears; Detroit Tigers/Detroit Lions; etc.). Only in the last couple decades does this boil to the surface. Don't think Jim Thorpe was suppressed in any way. If he'd had a problem with it, he'd said so.

Top Bottom