• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I did fire the P320, but it was a compact. Like I said I don't like the compacts, so I should probably try a full sized P320.

I have to find the e-mail or my notes as well since I can't remember what I had found with my earlier research.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I did fire the P320, but it was a compact. Like I said I don't like the compacts, so I should probably try a full sized P320.

I have to find the e-mail or my notes as well since I can't remember what I had found with my earlier research.

Just found it and sent it back.

I'd say you just need to decide whether you want striker or DA/SA. Two different ranges have CZs, but One has an FNS the other the FNX.
    (or make two trips. Since they are different CZs)

Im in for one or both.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I'm not fond of the sub compact, small is good, compact is great. Sig 320, 229, cz P-10 (if you can find them) M&P, mod 2... lots of options for him to choose from here. I would have him grip and feel any and all possible before purchase. Big box stores are a great place to window shop but in the end I would buy from small gun shops.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I'm not fond of the sub compact, small is good, compact is great. Sig 320, 229, cz P-10 (if you can find them) M&P, mod 2... lots of options for him to choose from here. I would have him grip and feel any and all possible before purchase. Big box stores are a great place to window shop but in the end I would buy from small gun shops.

That is what I am doing. I find I don't like the smaller guns, I have kind of big hands. I plan on renting a few guns over the next few months (busy for close to the next month) to see what I like.

If I can find the time, I might go out this weekend and rent a gun or two to test out.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Took him to Cabelas to window shop. He really liked the FNS-9. Grip texture was too aggressive, but we all know that can be fixed. What other sub $550 ambi pistols would you recommend for this left hander? EDIT: in 9MM

While he likes the 92F, As soon as we noticed it had a magazine disconnect, he was immediately turned off by the feature. (dont blame him myself... a bit pricey anyway)

He also is partial to my late father's Ruger P-89.

Any other suggestions given the above hints? Glocks are right out. He doesnt like them but I wont hold that against him.

Not worried about weight. This is primarily a range toy. He's getting his LTCH, but mostly for the convenience of not worrying about the transport gotchas. He may carry eventually, but no plans at this time.

GO!

Sooooo many nice pistols out there to pick from...gonna have to come down to what feels good in his grip and he shoots well!

Best option, shoot several different pistols and see which one he likes best...or better yet, buy used, with the understanding that he very well may sell/up-grade/trade/etc. his first (few) pistols until he finds something he really likes!

I'm a Glock guy...but my wife picked-up an H&K P2000SK last spring...now I want one!

If I weren't already set up with Glocks, I would also heavily consider the Ruger SR9c series pistols...fits in my small grip fairly nicely and they shoot great!

Shoot a lot and buy used...save a few dollars and 'learn' as one works their way up! Woot!

DCowboysCR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Greenwood
    Took him to Cabelas to window shop. He really liked the FNS-9. Grip texture was too aggressive, but we all know that can be fixed. What other sub $550 ambi pistols would you recommend for this left hander? EDIT: in 9MM

While he likes the 92F, As soon as we noticed it had a magazine disconnect, he was immediately turned off by the feature. (dont blame him myself... a bit pricey anyway)

He also is partial to my late father's Ruger P-89.

Any other suggestions given the above hints? Glocks are right out. He doesnt like them but I wont hold that against him.

Not worried about weight. This is primarily a range toy. He's getting his LTCH, but mostly for the convenience of not worrying about the transport gotchas. He may carry eventually, but no plans at this time.

GO!

The Beretta 92F doesn't have a magazine disconnect feature. Also, Beretta is selling a conversion kit to make the "F" model which has a safety and decocker to a "G" model configuration which is decocker only without a manual safety.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    The FN's come with 3 - 17 rd mags ( the FNS compact includes 2-13rd and 1-17rd ) The FNX a great hammer fired choice I've since moved on to the FNS - 2 longslides and a compact all are soft accurate shooters, though not as soft as s 1911. ;)

good luck

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The Beretta 92F doesn't have a magazine disconnect feature. Also, Beretta is selling a conversion kit to make the "F" model which has a safety and decocker to a "G" model configuration which is decocker only without a manual safety.

A must-have IMO. Inadvertently having a DA shot is not a deal breaker. Inadvertently having the trigger blocked absolutely IS.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Continuing on with the search for my first gun. I went out with another friend to Point Blank in Carmel. He wanted to try out an AR15. I tried out three handguns. I went in with a list of ones I wanted to try, was told they were all great guns, but they didn't have any of the three available anymore.

So instead I went with the P320 RX. I liked it, it had the red dot sight on it, which helped me figure out where I should be looking when shooting.

Next I tried the Beretta M9A3. I did not like it. I shot 15 rounds and stopped with it.

Lastly I went with the Ruger American again. I still like this gun. Though a couple of times putting the magazine in the slide slid shut on me with this one. I don't know if it was that gun, or the model.

I have a few other guns I want to try if I can before I make my final decision and put down my money.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe if my work schedule will have me in the state for more than 3 days at a time we can go shoot some.

As for the American, if its a rental, it could be an issue with the slide stop lever. Either wear issues or possibly you are bumping it while inserting the mag? If you didnt have a problem with it the first time around, its probably THAT pistol.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Get a discount on a M&P Pro-Series 1.0....my brother in law just sold his with maybe 300 rounds for $450. Accurate, reliable and a great shooter.

I'd suggest a CZ but I don't own one and its seems nearly impossible to get one....

Walther is a good choice and, IMHO, highly underrated.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    Continuing on with the search for my first gun. I went out with another friend to Point Blank in Carmel. He wanted to try out an AR15. I tried out three handguns. I went in with a list of ones I wanted to try, was told they were all great guns, but they didn't have any of the three available anymore.

So instead I went with the P320 RX. I liked it, it had the red dot sight on it, which helped me figure out where I should be looking when shooting.

Next I tried the Beretta M9A3. I did not like it. I shot 15 rounds and stopped with it.

Lastly I went with the Ruger American again. I still like this gun. Though a couple of times putting the magazine in the slide slid shut on me with this one. I don't know if it was that gun, or the model.

I have a few other guns I want to try if I can before I make my final decision and put down my money.

Great job on keeping us updated. Try as many as you can before you make your decision. It's your hard earned money your putting down. I wish I would have had the patience to try before I bought the guns I realized I didn't like!

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Maybe if my work schedule will have me in the state for more than 3 days at a time we can go shoot some.

As for the American, if its a rental, it could be an issue with the slide stop lever. Either wear issues or possibly you are bumping it while inserting the mag? If you didnt have a problem with it the first time around, its probably THAT pistol.

No problem, I understand completely. I did the travel death march in 2010/2011, so I understand. Once you get back and have had some time with family we can go out.

I did pick up a speedloader and a cleaning kit while I was at Point Blank. I kept borrowing my friends speedloader, so I figured why not get one.

I still want to try a CZ (or three). I've tried the XDM, and it was ok.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was noticing on Parabellum's site that they had a deal where you could rent several pistols and get 100 rounds of ammo for $65. Seems like a good deal. It was an event, not something they offer everyday.

ETA: looks like the next event is 2-25-17 at 7:30am

Parabellum Firearms & Indoor Range

Top Bottom