• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    Black Friday 'week' sale at CDNN in Texas, Walther 40 PPX--249$ little less than 20 to ship. I bought one earlier, solid build, very good trigger. Tough to beat the value.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Alright already! You say your buddy joined the board yet he hasn't posted in this thread? It doesn't take this long to buy a pistol.

I'm thinking camera monkey doesn't really have a friend. :):

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Hi, so I am the friend that he started this thread for. I normally do most of my surfing the web on my desktop and a few weeks ago stopped being able to get to INGO. I figured out tonight that Avast doesn't like the site, not sure why. Turn off Avast and I can get here again.

So back to guns. I have fired several Glocks and I just am not a fan of the look, the or the feel. Earlier this year I went to Highsmith with some other friends. There I rented a 1911 9mm, I liked it. I also shot my friends XD. It wasn't bad. I liked the 1911 better.

It was the FNX-9 that we looked at, and I didn't mind the grip, I liked the look. I'd like to test one out at some point. Camera Monkey didn't like it. We also looked at HK which wasn't bad other than the one showed to me was small, my pinky was under the gun, and I didn't like that.

I'm a rather big guy with big hands, so I not looking for a small concealed carry gun, like CM said, this is mainly to go to the range with friends that shoot. Some point down the line I may change my mind and get something for CC.

I like the look of the CZ, have not shot one yet, I haven't looked into places to shoot yet, where I could rent one. Same with the Sig Sauer.

Did I miss any questions? I read through the thread as quick as I could and may have missed somethings.

New or used doesn't really matter to me at this point.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I know this is an old thread, but I need to point out some really bad information.

The Beretta 92 series DOES NOT have a magazine disconnect. That is why there is a billboard on the side of the pistol that states "Warning: retract slide to see if loaded. Fires without magazine"

The Beretta slide is open primarily to facilitate single round loading and firing if the magazine becomes damaged or lost. The extractor is designed to ride over the round if direct loaded into the chamber. Not all pistols have this feature.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know this is an old thread, but I need to point out some really bad information.

The Beretta 92 series DOES NOT have a magazine disconnect. That is why there is a billboard on the side of the pistol that states "Warning: retract slide to see if loaded. Fires without magazine"

The Beretta slide is open primarily to facilitate single round loading and firing if the magazine becomes damaged or lost. The extractor is designed to ride over the round if direct loaded into the chamber. Not all pistols have this feature.

Positive? Guy behind the counter tried repeatedly to drop the hammer but couldn't until he inserted the magazine. Stuck in in and the trigger worked again. :dunno:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Mods, are these posts cooking from the same IP? If not I guess cm really does have friends. :):

Welcome aboard Haven. :ingo:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Positive? Guy behind the counter tried repeatedly to drop the hammer but couldn't until he inserted the magazine. Stuck in in and the trigger worked again. :dunno:
    Another guy behind the counter thing. :D Even though I have several 92 series pistols and know better I decided to ignore the marking on the side of the pistol, removed the mag in one of my 92FS, installed a snap cap into the breach and closed the slide. Pulled the trigger, hammer came back and dropped like Beretta said it would. Then I took a 92D (DAO) and inserted the snap cap. Magazine out, pulled the trigger and again if it was a real round it would have gone bang.

Beretta advertising used to brag that in the event of an emergency and you didn't have a workable mag, you can single fire the 92 by inserting a round directly into the breach and you at least have a single shot pistol to defend yourself with.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Mods, are these posts cooking from the same IP? If not I guess cm really does have friends. :):

Welcome aboard Haven. :ingo:

Nope, we live around a mile apart from each other. Though with what CM and I both do for a living, it wouldn't be that hard for us to fake. At least not for me. For him, maybe slightly harder.

Thank you for the welcome though.

I think here in a few weeks I am going to try renting a few of the guns suggested here at some of the ranges around here and see which one I like. I know some people think it shouldn't take that long to buy a gun, but I am still waiting for the LTCH, and I tend to take my time and research things that are new to me before buying plus I tend to be busy on a lot of weekends, so I have to find time to try things out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    He wants to take his time and buy once, cry once. I cant blame him there.

But he actually thinks he's only going to buy one gun and be done with it.

acf1df7705d11ead80866a9dfb030aee.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I also told him that if he cant find one for rent one of y'all are likely to step up and meet him at the range to try yours out. Gotta love :ingo:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Necro Thread.

So I figured keep my gun buying journey to a single thread. I went to Parabellum's 9mm Smorgasboard today. I shot a number of guns. I only shot a few of the compact guns as they don't interest me, and I am not thrilled with them.

I found I liked the Beretta 92FS, though it is out of my budget it looks like. I also liked the Taurus 1911, both guns felt great. I wanted to like the Walther PPQ and the Smith & Wesson M&P, but they just didn't feel right in my hand. Not sure why. The Ruger American was not bad, I liked it, but not as much as the 92FS or the 1911.

I still need to find some place to rent a CZ-75/85, and maybe a FNS/FNX before making my decision.

Signess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Evansville
    The Sig P320 has ambi slide release and easily converts to left handed shooter's magazine release. Dependable, accurate and convertible to other sizes and calibers without buying a complete gun. After shooting my first P320 I sold all my Glocks. Really nice trigger.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Didnt one of the NW side ranges have both a FN and a CZ for rent? Or were there two ranges, one at each? For some reason I cant find that email you sent me with the list. If not I'm sure somebody here thats in Indy would be willing to meet you at the range to give theirs a try.

And as to the budget, just wait a little longer and save for what you want, not what you want right now.

And I know what you mean about wanting to like it. I REALLY wanted to like my 1911 with the thin VZ grips. But it just didnt feel right in my hand anymore. I went back to my Hogues and it feels great again.

Top Bottom