• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There is absolutely no reason to name a cat. They don't come to you when you call them, so why bother.

Naming a cat makes about as much sense as naming a house plant ... a gold fish ... or a [redacted].

At the end of the day, you have to throw something at them to get their attention.

I've named goldfish.

It's not for calling them, it's for identifying them. It helps avoid confusion.

"Hey, the goldfish is pregnant."
    "Which one?"
    "The white one."
    "Oh, the one with a long tail?"
    "No the white one with the short tail."
    "With the orange spot on the head?"
    "No, that one lost the spot last year. It's the one of the other ones..."

But now I have somewhere around two dozen goldfish in the pond and no 8 year old girl to help name them.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I've named goldfish.

"Which one?"
    "The white one."

But now I have somewhere around two dozen goldfish in the pond and no 8 year old girl to help name them.

Are you so PC with your goldfish that you can't just say, "the fat one!"?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've named goldfish.

"Which one?"
    "Helen"
    "Which one is Helen?"

"The white one."

It seems all that does is add an extra layer to the conversation.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had others in the past

Scarlett (Himalayan- had her 18 yrs, wonderful pet)
    CJ (black cat named after my old Jeep- worst cat)
    Wendell
    Oliver (snuck out and became road pizza)
    and a big tabby with fluffy sideburns...........named Winchester
    Had a tom that chased the kids like the Pink Panther fight scenes...........of course his name was Cato.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Magee, fluffball, husky, starch, munchkin, runt, Simon, Melanie, no tail, mommy kitty, tiger, marmalade, tangerine, Blackie.

All have served me well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Magee, fluffball, husky, starch, munchkin, runt, Simon, Melanie, no tail, mommy kitty, tiger, marmalade, tangerine, Blackie.

All have served me well.

We had a Simon. Well, he had us. It was a neighbor's outdoor cat that would come over and make himself at home. He was VERY needy and even figured out how to get through our screen door. I was on the phone with the wife one day and she said. "Hey. Simon just jumped up on the couch next to me and laid down!" All the doors WERE closed but he figured out how to get through.

Sadly last year he disappeared. We think that a Coyote got him as a new pack was seen in adjacent fields about that time. :(

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Very few of my pets have ever really kept their original names. I always come up with some other nickname for them that sticks. Our current cat's "real" name is Misty, because she's a calico/tabby mix and her markings aren't sharply defined (they're "misty"). Because she would seem to magically "appear" in places (for example I could walk from one room, where she was laying on the couch, into another room and find her laying in there, looking not like she just gotten there, but as if she had been relaxing there for awhile), I started calling her "Mystical".

Then, she jumped overboard from our boat at night down on Lake Monroe and was lost for 9 days before being found in the woods by a little girl who took her to a vet in Ellettsville. (She was chipped.) When we got her home, she looked like she had swallowed a basketball and gained a lot of weight. After that, I started calling her Chunky Butt. Chunky Butt has now morphed into "Chunkadoodle" or just "Chunkadoo".

We had a kitten show up at our house one day and at first (s)he took to my wife. (S)he is grey and white with white markings on his/her face. When she was so young, his/her "lips" made him/her look like (s)he had ruby red lips, my wife thought. So, the cat's name became Ruby.

A couple of months or so go by and one day, (s)he jumps from my chair to the sofa and there were a couple of surprises now visible. I told my wife, her cat is now obviously a he and not a she. We turned the b around and he became Rudy and has been ever since. :D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We had a kitten show up at our house one day and at first (s)he took to my wife. (S)he is grey and white with white markings on his/her face. When she was so young, his/her "lips" made him/her look like (s)he had ruby red lips, my wife thought. So, the cat's name became Ruby.

A couple of months or so go by and one day, (s)he jumps from my chair to the sofa and there were a couple of surprises now visible. I told my wife, her cat is now obviously a he and not a she. We turned the b around and he became Rudy and has been ever since. :D

LOL.

I had a cat named Snots. He had a mark on his nose that looked like he had a booger.

And One of the cats at the shelter last nite was named Sam. Formerly Samantha. Sent her in to the vet to be Spayed and they found testicles. So she came back neutered. He had a condition that caused both testicles to not drop so they were not externally visible. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Ha! Surprise! :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    LOL.

I had a cat named Snots. He had a mark on his nose that looked like he had a booger.

And One of the cats at the shelter last nite was named Sam. Formerly Samantha. Sent her in to the vet to be Spayed and they found testicles. So she came back neutered. He had a condition that caused both testicles to not drop so they were not externally visible. :):

A couple years ago, my oldest son was working at Walmart, pushing carts. During one of the polar votexes we had that winter, he found a little kitten and brought it home. We took it to the vet as he obviously needed a little help. My wife and my son were there when the lady vet was examining the kitten and said "he's got the smallest testicles I've ever seen". I guess my son got embarrassed but came back with a good one when he said "that's something a guy never likes to hear". Hilarity ensued. :D

Top Bottom