• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have a cat that's name is MooShu and she come s when called. I think it is best to have the cat around and live with him for a bit before naming officially. That's been my way now since I have had them.

I still like Mandu though. :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I do have one beef with Indy Humane Society that I wanted to mention. They are FAR from upfront on their animal descriptions. 3 of the 5 cats we flagged had problems not disclosed online. Online descriptions were happy go lucky descriptions like "Great cat, laid back." (Invisible asterisk) Added to the end of the description on the printout there: "has problems with stairs" or "missing teeth, wet food only", or "needs quiet home, no small children" etc.

I was a bit angry actually. They were like used car salesmen in that regard.

Hancock PAWS rocks though. Everybody was as described except for two guys. Everybody matched their descriptions and there were no "gotchas" when we arrived.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I do have one beef with Indy Humane Society that I wanted to mention. They are FAR from upfront on their animal descriptions. 3 of the 5 cats we flagged had problems not disclosed online. Online descriptions were happy go lucky descriptions like "Great cat, laid back." (Invisible asterisk) Added to the end of the description on the printout there: "has problems with stairs" or "missing teeth, wet food only", or "needs quiet home, no small children" etc.

I was a bit angry actually. They were like used car salesmen in that regard.

Hancock PAWS rocks though. Everybody was as described except for two guys. Everybody matched their descriptions and there were no "gotchas" when we arrived.

How funny you mentioned PAWS. I used to do a lot of volunteer work with them years ago before I had kids. I even won their Volunteer of the year award. Nancy who runs PAWS is one the nicest person I know. She really loves those animals. -Jason

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How funny you mentioned PAWS. I used to do a lot of volunteer work with them years ago before I had kids. I even won their Volunteer of the year award. Nancy who runs PAWS is one the nicest person I know. She really loves those animals. -Jason

I agree. If they werent so far away I'd volunteer as well.

But its closer than my last rescue. Our late boxer Tessa Larue came from Toledo. The volunteer met us south of Ft Wayne. ("halfway") Her first words were "Hello! Now dont worry, If you dont like her, you dont have to take her." PFFFFF! She knew what she was doing... No way in hell we werent leaving with that sweetie.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My wife adopted a cat and talked me into keeping him. We had him for about 10yrs. Within a year he was my cat. He always came when called, played catch, met me at the door everyday after work then would sit on my lap after I took off my boots, he even started sleeping on my hip at night...grew to love that Tiger cat. Always had dogs growing up but found cats can be good companions. After he passed (a year ago) we adopted a cat from Monroe county animal shelter very up front and no pressure. Would definitely do it again. Now we have Stryper and he is similar to a dog with ADD hyper active and very playful ( loves chasing that red laser). My suggestion, pick a name that has some meaning maybe relatef to it's markings or personality.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I agree. If they werent so far away I'd volunteer as well.

But its closer than my last rescue. Our late boxer Tessa Larue came from Toledo. The volunteer met us south of Ft Wayne. ("halfway") Her first words were "Hello! Now dont worry, If you dont like her, you dont have to take her." PFFFFF! She knew what she was doing... No way in hell we werent leaving with that sweetie.

Those rescue workers know how to play the game. Especially when they say "Bring the kids, she if they get along". Just TRY prying a cute dog out of a kids arms, I dare you!

A funny story about Nancy. My Dad's wife and Nancy got a phone call about a miniuture horse walking down the road with no one around. So they got into Nancy's F150 extended cab and went that way. They had to put the horse in the back seat to get it to where ever they were taking it. I just remember how hilarious the story was when they were telling it.

I used to live on the Hancock County side of Cumberland, and my Dad and his wife were big into PAWS. I had a big truck and trailer so they invited me to help out. I enjoyed it because I love animal. I'm typing this as my GoldenDoddle is doing everything in his power to get in my lap. -Jason

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Our new cat bears a striking resemblance to toonces the driving cat from snl. But she is inherently evil so I call her tooncifer.

The second cat, the one we are considering fostering, also looks like Toonces. (and we would likely be adopting if he gets along with our new kitten, who currently exists in a different room at the shelter)

But I have one related question for cat folks. The shelter lists him as 16mo old. But he is HUUUUGE. (12lbs) Has anyone seen a 12lb 1YO cat before? Just seems big for that age. Plus he was fixed AND declawed before arriving at the shelter. Just seems like he would be older than estimated based on all factors. And it does make a difference. Adult cats are cheaper to adopt than kittens.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Grandma always had cats on the farm. They all had the same name: Kitty. When she would provide scraps once in a while in the winter, she would call Kitty Kitty Kitty, they would all come running. Easy to remember.

Or Taco.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There is absolutely no reason to name a cat. They don't come to you when you call them, so why bother.

Naming a cat makes about as much sense as naming a house plant ... a gold fish ... or a deaf kid.

At the end of the day, you have to throw something at them to get their attention.

That may be true of the cats you have known, but our two cats will come selectively when called by name.
    The tuxedo tomcat comes when we say "Here, Salem," and the calico molly comes when we say "Here, Gidget."

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    There is absolutely no reason to name a cat. They don't come to you when you call them, so why bother.

Naming a cat makes about as much sense as naming a house plant ... a gold fish ... or a deaf kid.

At the end of the day, you have to throw something at them to get their attention.

I had a cat (well, he had me...) that would sprint across the room and leap into my lap when I called him. I adored that critter :)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    OK, fine. Call it George.
    [video=youtube;jPdHaNr0OAY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPdHaNr0OAY[/video]

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I had a cat (well, he had me...) that would sprint across the room and leap into my lap when I called him. I adored that critter :)

Our calico slept on my lap in my easy chair yesterday for at least four hours straight, got up and stretched, then returned to spend another two hours there.
    Damn cat made me fall asleep both times, too.
    Yeah, I'm bonkers about that cat, as you with yours.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have a cat that's name is MooShu...

#53 ?

vm.jpg

e6402b8695998f0b6244186a5aae426c.jpg

Top Bottom