Chicago Trip + Firearms Carry Possibilities?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Okay, so OC Spray is legal in Chicago?

As long as you are 18+ and carrying a "non-lethal" gas.

Goggle fanny pack carry illinois. By no means am I advocate this.

I know, I know, but, forget it, Jake, it's Chicago.

The risk of going down for a 4 (1 to 3 in Centerville) or having the felony mark for the rest of your life is just too great.

In Shampoo-Banana? Maybe, but I wouldn't do it in Chicago.

Chicago is Exhibit A on why federal reciprocity is a must!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And by your "magic rabbit's foot of a gun" you seem to be assuming I thought I would be carrying an unusable gun, which of course, isn't what I wasn't implying. I wanted to know Chicago\Illinois law to know manner of transportation, as there does seem to be transportation provision in the law.

Yes, in your car. Want to carry a gun in Chicago, drive there. Otherwise we are hosed.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Goggle fanny pack carry illinois. By no means am I advocate this.

As long as you are 18+ and carrying a "non-lethal" gas.

I know, I know, but, forget it, Jake, it's Chicago.

The risk of going down for a 4 (1 to 3 in Centerville) or having the felony mark for the rest of your life is just too great.

In Shampoo-Banana? Maybe, but I wouldn't do it in Chicago.

Chicago is Exhibit A on why federal reciprocity is a must!
    It's an old story but Chicago railed against it.
    [h=1]Prosecutors Target Fanny Pack[/h]https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPin...xX2Zhbm55LXBhY2tzLWd1bi1kZWFsZXJzLWxvb3Bob2xl

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It's an old story but Chicago railed against it.
    Prosecutors Target Fanny Pack

https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPin...xX2Zhbm55LXBhY2tzLWd1bi1kZWFsZXJzLWxvb3Bob2xl

That link takes me to bing home page. Any chance you can try it again?

As to what is legal in Chicago one should keep in mind that unless they are involved in some sort of an altercation with the cops, the odds of a cop frisking them is practically zero. If in a million to one long shot that you are frisked a cop has little interest in busting you for a knife or pepper spray.

I just spent 3 weeks on a jobsite on the 3rd floor of an industrial building on the west side. We heard gunshots almost every day. A couple of the guys observed a drive by shooting while inside our building on our last day there. It is rather disturbing to hear this stuff going around but I know that we are not the targets. I am concerned about stray bullets, one of our trucks took one to the windshield a few years ago. If you are not in a bad neighborhood the odds are very low that you will be accosted.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    That link takes me to bing home page. Any chance you can try it again?

As to what is legal in Chicago one should keep in mind that unless they are involved in some sort of an altercation with the cops, the odds of a cop frisking them is practically zero. If in a million to one long shot that you are frisked a cop has little interest in busting you for a knife or pepper spray.

I just spent 3 weeks on a jobsite on the 3rd floor of an industrial building on the west side. We heard gunshots almost every day. A couple of the guys observed a drive by shooting while inside our building on our last day there. It is rather disturbing to hear this stuff going around but I know that we are not the targets. I am concerned about stray bullets, one of our trucks took one to the windshield a few years ago. If you are not in a bad neighborhood the odds are very low that you will be accosted.
    I don't know, when I click on it it goes to the article. Just try to google [h=1]"Prosecutors Target Fanny Pack Chicago Illinois"[/h]

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    I have three words that will keep you out of trouble in Chicago.

DON'T GO THERE.

They don't aim they spray. Expressways are a shooting gallery. If there is an incident they completely shut down the xpressway for hours to investigate. Roving gangs on N. Mich. Ave. The West sides and south sides are free fire zones. The leos are letting people just kill themselves off. They are afraid of getting caught in the crossfire.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Please allow me to rephrase the original question. What's the best way to ignore the law in Chicago and put myself in jeopardy of arrest?

Just leave the gun at home!

I get it - Chicago is trouble for concealed carry. No one is advocating breaking the law here. If I wanted advice on how to get away with breaking the law I'd be a bit more discreet about it. Until I go rogue, my real question remains what is the best legal means of protecting one's self in Chicago, and what are the firearms options legally, if any. That is all.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    I have three words that will keep you out of trouble in Chicago.

DON'T GO THERE.

They don't aim they spray. Expressways are a shooting gallery. If there is an incident they completely shut down the xpressway for hours to investigate. Roving gangs on N. Mich. Ave. The West sides and south sides are free fire zones. The leos are letting people just kill themselves off. They are afraid of getting caught in the crossfire.

Best advice thus far probably. Sadly I get paid fairly well for what I do, and only get asked to travel super occasionally, so no isn't much of an option. :P

The combination of them flying me, driving via Uber, and it being Chicago sounds like I won't be armed at all. But if I can get away with OC Spray I will. The Sabre Gel seems pretty effective.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I don't know if this has been addressed in this thread, but if you are flying into Chicago, declaring a firearm at IND is no problem, but I would expect a huge issue at ORD or MDW on the way back. Declare a firearm in Chicago? Lots of questions might be asked, many causing you to miss your flight.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I been to Chicago, NYC, SF, Oakland, STL, and many other cities, all have bad areas which should be avoided. If you are that concerned than stay in your hotel room and order room service. I'm not being snarky here. Seriously if you want to be safe as possible, go to your work required areas, come back to the hotel, lock your door and enjoy the TV. I had to do this while in SF for a week, all the good hotels booked out, cheap Motel in bad area (my assessment). Wake up call for car service, eat B'Fast at project location, big lunch, grab "To Go" dinner from nice restaurant, back to motel, lock door, enjoy dinner, call the wife, study rest of the night, repeat 4 more times.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I get it - Chicago is trouble for concealed carry. No one is advocating breaking the law here. If I wanted advice on how to get away with breaking the law I'd be a bit more discreet about it. Until I go rogue, my real question remains what is the best legal means of protecting one's self in Chicago, and what are the firearms options legally, if any. That is all.

As mentioned already a knife is probably your best option, as long as you obey their stupid blade lenght law.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have one entire magnet of Chicago knives near my dressing station.

Spyderco has some excellent options.

Do you know if the blade lenght limit only applies to concealed knives or if you can OC a big ass machete?

Chicago, IL: It is illegal to carry concealed a knife with a blade longer than 2.5-inches. Concealed carry of a double-edged knife is prohibited. Automatic (switchblade) and gravity knives are prohibited entirely.

Top Bottom