Chicago Trip + Firearms Carry Possibilities?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I don't know if this has been addressed in this thread, but if you are flying into Chicago, declaring a firearm at IND is no problem, but I would expect a huge issue at ORD or MDW on the way back. Declare a firearm in Chicago? Lots of questions might be asked, many causing you to miss your flight.

Nope. No problem at all if you jump through the hoops.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The Cold Steel Tuff Lite could be a good option.

zgmosz1.jpg

Now is it legally a 2" blade or a 2.5" blade. :dunno:
    I think some cities have a 2" limit so that would be important to know.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That link takes me to bing home page. Any chance you can try it again?

As to what is legal in Chicago one should keep in mind that unless they are involved in some sort of an altercation with the cops, the odds of a cop frisking them is practically zero. If in a million to one long shot that you are frisked a cop has little interest in busting you for a knife or pepper spray.

I just spent 3 weeks on a jobsite on the 3rd floor of an industrial building on the west side. We heard gunshots almost every day. A couple of the guys observed a drive by shooting while inside our building on our last day there. It is rather disturbing to hear this stuff going around but I know that we are not the targets. I am concerned about stray bullets, one of our trucks took one to the windshield a few years ago. If you are not in a bad neighborhood the odds are very low that you will be accosted.

It's disturbing how the criminals/thugs can go around creating a warlike atmosphere, and the government does it's best to keep the law-abiding as sheep.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Take a cane for that high school knee injury that's acting up. Personally, I'd rather have a 36" club than a 2" knife. YMMV.

You'll also want some coins for soda machines and the like. Perhaps a handy leather coin purse and key ring: Foster Coin Sap

"Your honor, this jackwagon stabby-stabbed my innocent banger/robber of a client."

"Your honor, this jackwagon struck my mope of a client with a coin purse"

Which do you like the ring of better?

A few INGOers have seen my coin purse and have given themselves a gentle whack with it. They have not repeated the experiment.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Take a cane for that high school knee injury that's acting up. Personally, I'd rather have a 36" club than a 2" knife. YMMV.

You'll also want some coins for soda machines and the like. Perhaps a handy leather coin purse and key ring: Foster Coin Sap

"Your honor, this jackwagon stabby-stabbed my innocent banger/robber of a client."

A few INGOers have seen my coin purse and have given themselves a gentle whack with it. They have not repeated the experiment.

A knife is a very convenient tool to have.It's not just a potential weapon.
    I would want to carry a 2.5" blade in addition to a big cane.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Do you use that sap thingy as your actual coin purse or is it loaded with coins and a dedicated self defense tool?

Would be bad if you needed to use it on a bad guy and you just spent all your change buying donuts.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So it's cool to have a weapon in your car with a valid LTCH, what happens if you check into a hotel?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Page 11.....You're good to go unless it's prohibited locally.

To legally move it from your car to your room you have to case it unloaded. The loaded mag/s and any other ammo can be in that same case.

Your question is also answered here...http://www.gunssavelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/TransportLegally.pdf

The vast majority of places in downtown Chicago, especially the hotels, have the "no firearm" sign on their doors. The signs in IL have the weight of law so basically 95% of all buildings in downtown Chicago are GFZ on the inside.

Now as for OP's question.
    I drive to south Chicago, get on public transportation (ie. bus) and do a 45min ride to downtown M-F.
    Kirk gave you the best advise. Leave the firearm at home.
    You won't need it during the day in downtown. At night is a different story and my advise is after 6pm avoid downtown.
    In terms of weapons think outside the box.

Metal pipe (ie. like if you do construction/plumbing) works well, it's material for your job site
    Scissors (ie.barber pointy ones) work well, you love to scrap book just act gay
    Baseball bat (cubs or white sox logo) work well, you are a baseball fan and want to get it autographs
    Dumbbell in a cloth bag work well, you love to work out and need to take your weights with you

All of these no one bats an eye if you have and all work well in case you need them

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Why all the Chicago bashing and paranoia on here? Thousands upon thousands of people visit there every day. It's a very safe place to visit if you use common sense, maintain situational awareness, travel with others, and avoid places that you probably wouldn't consider going to anyway.

And if the OP does choose to violate the law and carry in Chicago and gets caught, he's left a ton of evidence against him here in this thread.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am taking a business trip to Chicago (flying \ uber). I have an Indiana Carry License, and I realize there is no reciprocity. I do not have a non-resident license for Illinois. I'm wondering if I can get advice on how maximize my "force multiplier" here.

Tentatively I am planning on carrying a limited OC spray (I believe Illinois\Chicago legal) and have it checked at the airport. But I'd also like to check a compact handgun and bring it with me to Chicago. I realize that it might have to remain unloaded and made not easily accessible, but I'd rather have a-not-easy-to-access-pistol then none at all. So, I was wondering, can one backpack carry an unloaded firearm if its locked, with ammo stored in separate compartment? I realize this method of self-defense would only be minimally useful and really only in an active shooter context, but it would make me feel a bit better.

Any advice welcome! Thanks!

As mentioned already a knife is probably your best option, as long as you obey their stupid blade lenght law.

I have one entire magnet of Chicago knives near my dressing station.

Spyderco has some excellent options.

Knives are great but so many carry them without a spit of training. It is a tool like the pistol the OP is inquiring about. Learn how to fight because there are times where you will not be able to carry your preferred tools.
    Remember

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why all the Chicago bashing and paranoia on here? Thousands upon thousands of people visit there every day. It's a very safe place to visit if you use common sense, maintain situational awareness, travel with others, and avoid places that you probably wouldn't consider going to anyway.

And if the OP does choose to violate the law and carry in Chicago and gets caught, he's left a ton of evidence against him here in this thread.

Maybe because there was over 700 homicides last year and the general public is not allowed to carry tools to defend themselves.:dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ive been going to chiraq for over 10 years now all of them on public transportation via the bad hoods.
    In that time frame i have only see one shooting at a gas station, again gang members. That was a shooting in daylight hours.

I fear southern indiana's kkk and the jbts, police, more then chicago. Unless you are in the wrong parts of town at evening night the tuorist areas ok.

Top Bottom