• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    We dropped the nukes at the end of WWII to bring it to a swift end. It saved the lives of millions of troops and civilians, who would have died in an invasion. It also kept the USSR from taking the two northern main islands of Japan.
    It won't stop the war with China, or stop China from trying to nuke us back.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    China is willing to sacrifice it's people as strategy, Joe already sacrificed some of his people out of stupidity.

Rattling sabers aside, the biggest problem with a step this unthinkable is who, what, where, when and how to turn the stupidity back off...
    Don't worry, our military is so diversified, that will scare the crap out of them.

woke-general-milley-no-one-won-war-dying-for-country-won-understanding-white-rage-crc.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I look at it this way - China moves to occupy Taiwan; IF US troops move to aid Taiwan, China simply stops shipping goods to the US as a demonstration of who wears the pants in the US-Chinese trade relationship. Because we buy basically everything from China anyways including the tech that our overly-technophied military depends on to fight such a war, we'd be crippled both militarily and economically back home... No shots need be fired. As an added measure they could flex their naval muscles in the South China Sea over which they claim also to have absolute sovereignty and embargo any US bound cargo from any other Asian country with which we may still be friendly. They may talk big and they may have the will to back it up if it comes to that but they can cripple us much more efficiently without resorting to a shooting war.

The other tactic could be coordination with the Russian-Ukraine advance in order that American interests are spread across different regions simultaneously and therefore less effective in either front. Each could just be waiting to see if the other steps over the border first and then they'll follow suit.

America's love-hate relationship with foreign wars is less 'gutsy' when Democrats are in power and Biden's the most gutless of all. He's basically doing the same thing I think China is doing, which is rattling the sabre and roaring loudly because the roar is all old lions have left in them. Any military response from current administration will be tepid and lackluster and more for show than effectiveness, basically to say, "Well we tried" but since many already say Biden is in China's pocket then he has little incentive not to give them what they want but he still has to feign indignation and offer a pretend show of force for the news cycles back here at home.

The chess match is likely already over so the remaining moves are probably inconsequential.
    Or we could just burn them off. If we have to get along without ChiCom goods anyway, might as well get rid of a rival and make everybody else undergo the same problem

Fight them now or fight them later, when they're stronger and we're weaker

And stand Milley up against the wall for offering to warn them about an attack

MacArthur was right

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    It won't stop the war with China, or stop China from trying to nuke us back.
    Speaking of buckets of liquid sunshine from china...

It looks like they are hell bent on going to war in the near future, no matter what we do.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Or we could just burn them off. If we have to get along without ChiCom goods anyway, might as well get rid of a rival and make everybody else undergo the same problem

Fight them now or fight them later, when they're stronger and we're weaker
    I'd agree but don't think we have the political will.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Speaking of buckets of liquid sunshine from china...

It looks like they are hell bent on going to war in the near future, no matter what we do.

A big part of modern warfare is a competition of resources and logistics.

100 miles out vs 12 time zones, that's the difference on how far the troops need to move.

We are in advantage in the tactics and discipline, but we are bond by the ROE. But communists, don't give a blip of ROE.

But in reality, the Chinese people don't want to fight the Chinese, and they don't have to, they are killing it economically.

All the major manufacturing firms in Taiwan have invested heavily in China, it has been for the past 30 years.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Which administration would? What administration has supported Taiwan independance? None.

2018 State Dept:

Why should America saddle up for Taiwan, especially after recognizing China's legal claim to the island? How many US casualties would you like to see for this?

I see nobody wanted to touch this. We've legally recognized China as the government of Taiwan, as has most of the world with the "One China Policy". Now you're getting stirred up over internal propaganda for China and think we're really going to land troops? Under any administration? Why the eff would we do that?

We just left Afghanistan, somebody else's civil war were we didn't really understand the culture and didn't really have a game plan. You guys think Taiwan is monolithic and against reunification? You think fighting a near peer on their home turf is going to go as "smoothly" as Afghanistan did? That mission creep won't set in? That we'll just beat the Chinese back and go home? Somebody tell me what's our national interest in interfering in Taiwan that makes the inevitable loss of men and material worth it? Not emotional chest beating because they said something mean, what's our logical need to get involved with this?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Somebody tell me what's our national interest in interfering in Taiwan that makes the inevitable loss of men and material worth it? Not emotional chest beating because they said something mean, what's our logical need to get involved with this?

If the US government can't be counted on to fight wars on behalf of big business interests, what in the world can be relied on?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

One more reason to keep a close watch on China. This is in direct violation of the U.N. Biological Weapons Convention. The rest of the world will suffer greatly, if China weaponizes this new bio-tech.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    The Biden administration reportedly cut the video feed of a Taiwanese minister during its Summit for Democracy last week, after he displayed a map showing Taiwan colored differently than China. This probably tells us everything we need to know about which way the current administration is leaning in the China-Taiwan dispute. I don't expect any shots fired except those of the Chinese Army eliminating the Taiwanese leadership. America isn't going to lift a finger to defend Taiwan just like they didn't put forth the least amount of effort to secure US military assets in Afghanistan. I strongly suspect we can also expect no show of resistance in defense of the Ukraine either, not that we have any business in either fight but also we don't even have an effective fighting military anymore, just a big flamboyant gay pride parade.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I see nobody wanted to touch this. We've legally recognized China as the government of Taiwan, as has most of the world with the "One China Policy". Now you're getting stirred up over internal propaganda for China and think we're really going to land troops? Under any administration? Why the eff would we do that?

We just left Afghanistan, somebody else's civil war were we didn't really understand the culture and didn't really have a game plan. You guys think Taiwan is monolithic and against reunification? You think fighting a near peer on their home turf is going to go as "smoothly" as Afghanistan did? That mission creep won't set in? That we'll just beat the Chinese back and go home? Somebody tell me what's our national interest in interfering in Taiwan that makes the inevitable loss of men and material worth it? Not emotional chest beating because they said something mean, what's our logical need to get involved with this?

There isn't any reason really, but there also isn't any reason for them to take the place over either. I can only see it if the government is in trouble and looking for some sort of jingoistic fix for popularity. I remember 1971 when the Tanzanians got the ball rolling in the UN. Nothing happened then either.

Lots of money goes through Taiwan and then onto the mainland. Lots of people around the world getting rich. Companies like Foxconn are all over the world and heavily into mainland china and they aren't the only ones in Taiwan. Grinding up that place and interfering in all that money might involve leadership change in china before it got started. Big computer money likes running things.

All that said, it's an unstable part of the world and this country should be backing out rather than getting in deeper. The best start is to make more stuff here with American hands.

Always follow the money

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    So if the US were to support let's say, South Korea in a War with North Korea, would we be surprised is North Korean troops attacked US troops supporting their enemy?

I guess I don't get the point of the the thread. If China and Taiwan were to go to war, why wouldn't China see any US troops in defense of Taiwan as enemies to be attacked as well?

And why would the US military be used to protect Taiwan anyways? Taiwan is is Taiwan's responsibility. They need to have full skin in the game of protecting themselves and not rely on some outside force for protection if they really want self determination.

They should be arming their people just like Switzerland.
    It's not really even about Taiwan. Taiwan is merely the first step for China, not the endgame. China must expand or it will collapse, Taiwan will just be the trial run of that expansion. Sooner or later China will have to be stopped, either economically or militarily, and the more that is ceded to them in attempts at appeasement the more difficult stopping them will be.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

What is there to touch exactly? In the short term you're correct in the rationalization that'll likely be used in support of such appeasement. Long term, it seems likely that Taiwan is the current Sudetenland and the Biden administration is likely to play the role of a dumber, less honorable Neville Chamberlain. As you said, the loss of men and material is inevitable, appeasement doesn't change that inevitability, it only increases the cost.

Top Bottom