• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Find a local pawn shop that deals in guns.

Call shops outside of Bloomington. Know what you are looking for before you call. If they don't have what you are looking for ask if they have something similar or can order it for you.

You may need to drive to Spencer or Martinsville or Nashville or somewhere else close by.

And make sure it is in 9mm.

I second the sentiments about SCCY. Had a friend get one and it needs to be sent back to the factory for trigger issues.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    You get what you pay for. Reliability, accuracy, longevity, and safety are all things that a better firearm offer for not much more than your limit. As others said, buy used, trade something, do whatever you have to do, but get a quality firearm to start with.

No reason to get upset with advice people are giving you. You seem to be new to firearms, and we’re only trying to steer you in the right direction based on years of experience, training, and shooting many different guns throughout the years. It’s like asking a mechanic forum their thoughts on makes and models of cars and then getting upset when they tell you you’re gonna break down a lot and spend more money fixing your vehicle if you buy one in your limit you have set.

There’s also nothing wrong with used guns. Some people have a stigma about buying used firearms, but a quality gun is built to last many conditions over many years. If you don’t like our advice, please, read around the internet and i think you’ll find the advice given will be generally the same everywhere.

I, personally, wouldn’t go any cheaper than a S&W. Great company, proven, and good quality for the price... it’s close enough to your price that with a little dealing and patience you could probably get one for the price you’re looking.

Also. Welcome.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Rock Island M200. Its going to go bang every time and can be ordered through RKGuns.com.

Although I dont see a point in buying one in your situation. If shes already mad about buying a gun and only allowing you $250 shes going to be mad about you buying ammo and taking the time to go to the range and practice. Also she probably won’t want to learn about firearm safety which is a pretty big deal for anyone living in a house with a firearm.

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Spend the $250 on some range time where you can shoot a variety of different pistols. Find one that suits/fits you. Invite the wife, make it a date. Or spend the $250 on some handgun instruction for yourself and if you can talk the wife into going too, even better.

Then, go buy your gun of choice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oh I can afford guns with a much higher price. It’s just a limit my wife put. I’m also looking at a Taurus G3c
    There is no changing her mind. She actually hates guns. Grew up around them but hates them. So it’s that or a big ass argument.

I'm concerned about your budget for all of the associated costs?

Holster, gun belt, magazines, ear pro, eye pro? That's not even mentioning ammo that's very costly at this time? What is your budget/plan for all of this?

What will the boss let you do about these costs, or is the truth of the matter that she just doesn't want you armed at all?

Last edited:

William.blanks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2021
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I'm concerned about your budget for all of the associated costs?

Holster, gun belt, magazines, ear pro, eye pro? That's not even mentioning ammo that's very costly at this time? What is your budget/plan for all of this?

What will the boss let you do about these costs, or is the truth of the matter that she just doesn't want you armed at all?
    That budget is just for the gun. I have been shooting guns without ear protection since I was 8. I have glasses I have to wear anyway. So yeah. But the budget is just for the hun. But that is now on top of whatever I get for my birthday from my in-laws. So it looks like closer to 400

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Drive to the south side of Indy/Greenwood, several places to shop. May be able to find a nice used, reliable 9mm. I do not know the area very well but this past summer was in Nashville and a little store there had decent prices (don’t recall the name).

Get to know how to find good deals on Gunbroker. Takes persistence and sometimes creativity to find something but you can still rarely find a good deal.

Ammo can be bought anywhere you can find a price you like but know that defensive ammo for 9 mm is going to be generally $0.75/round and up and you need to to get enough (250-500 rnds) to practice with it and see if your pistol likes it and will run it well without FTE/FTF.

And after all that, you need to go to the range regularly and practice, shooting is a perishable skill.

Good luck with your hunt and listen to the advice given in this forum — lots of accumulated wisdom to be had.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    That budget is just for the gun. I have been shooting guns without ear protection since I was 8. I have glasses I have to wear anyway. So yeah. But the budget is just for the hun. But that is now on top of whatever I get for my birthday from my in-laws. So it looks like closer to 400
    I gave you a like for the comment about additional money for your birthday. I recommend ear and eye protection. As an old guy I can tell you that my hearing is bad from years of shooting when I was younger.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Dont be stupid. Most work places give away ear plugs, just grab a couple packs and shove them in your vehicles center console. They’re better than nothing.

JGIBSON

Liberty Creek Guns LLC.
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    Abington IN
    You get what you pay for. When it comes to protecting you, and your family they are priceless. How ever that doesn't mean you have to spend crazy money. 400 to 600 is a range that will get you a great Cc weapon. I suggest checking out everything. No one will know what is best for you except you. Vra in New Castle and several other ranges have most pistols able to tested on the range. Find somthing you like then worry about price.

Top Bottom