• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I started hunting when I was pretty young and when I started carrying a handgun I couldn't imagine not carrying with a round chambered. I couldn't get deer to stand around and wait till I was ready so I figured most bad guys wouldn't either. In all seriousness I have a real good friend who carries unchambered and this year we were going turkey hunting and I had to give him a rough time for loading his shotgun. He's been carrying for well over twenty years and still thinks he can rack the slide in time. To me it doesn't matter what kind of gun, the right holster makes it safe to carry any modern firearm chambered.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    It might be helpful to study the mechanics of your carry gun to better understand how it functions and how its safety's work. This could make you more comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber!

Last edited:

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Sometimes the problem is that people just don't know what they don't know.
    I love this post so hard. I want to marry it and have...like...ten thousand of its babies.

Right on, rhino - using some Socrates to score the babes. ;)

It's nice to see that opinions other than orthodoxy are routinely ridiculed around here.
    Perhaps it's a mistake that I even registered for this site.
    Sorry I'm just not "cool" enough for all you wizards.

I wouldn't go so far, friend. It's not like they're calling you an idiot; they are criticizing your position with valid arguments using their limited knowledge of you. Carrying on an empty chamber is dangerous for anyone in that it increases your response time - that is an unavoidable fact. Whether or not the convenience or mental reassurance is worth that increase is entirely your decision, but TBH trying to defend your position on the basis that you are in some way superior to others who carry is a bad way to avoid mall-ninja jokes. I know you didn't say you were more capable than others, but bragging about your time and skill comes off that way, especially in a discussion such as this. Also, the 10mm round is highly eccentric and gives off a strong mall-ninja vibe when paired with the rest of your post.

You have to understand that on the internet there are a lot of people who gravely overestimate their skill and/or qualifications in these areas and post about it with reckless abandon. A lot of times these people are new to the forum and end up repeating old arguments that the long-time members have seen time and time again. You're probably seeing some latent hostility from that.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's always a real gas getting lectured not to take it as an insult when someone talks about Hard Looks 101 and Mall Ninjas, or that anyone who dares carry a 10mm must surely be some kind of yahoo.
    It really is amazing how some people so freely post things they would no more say face to face than they would try playing football on an icy driveway.

Oh, and as for "overestimating" my own ability, I've used this exact gun once for a defensive purpose.
    No, it wasn't against a human, but I reacted quickly enough by killing a dog gone nuts when he was in the process of trying to rip out the throat of our own dog.
    That time, I didn't even have the mag inserted, yet I somehow did the job in less than one second.
    No, it wasn't a human adversary (thank God!), but it still called for quick reactions and very careful shot placement.
    Now, bring on more eyerolls and snark.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It really is amazing how some people so freely post things they would no more say face to face than they would try playing football on an icy driveway.

Why do you assume that people won't say these things to your face given the opportunity? And why would it matter? The message implied by you is that somehow they would be fearful to speak such things to you. This is another example of the attitude that has resulted in the response you have received.

The entirety of the messages you have posted in this topic paint a picture. You clearly do not believe this picture is accurate based on how you view yourself. However, no one here knows you and their sole source of information is the words you place here and the way you place them. The conclusions drawn by some are not inconsistent with the evidence you have provided, whether you believe those conclusions to be accurate or not.

On a related note, your response to the replies to your messages does not do much to change the opinions. In fact, you are adding additional evidence that supports those opinions already expressed. Good luck with your stay on INGO.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's always a real gas getting lectured not to take it as an insult when someone talks about Hard Looks 101 and Mall Ninjas, or that anyone who dares carry a 10mm must surely be some kind of yahoo.

Oh, and as for "overestimating" my own ability, I've used this exact gun once for a defensive purpose.
    No, it wasn't against a human, but I reacted quickly enough by killing a dog gone nuts when he was in the process of trying to rip out the throat of our own dog.
    That time, I didn't even have the mag inserted, yet I somehow did the job in less than one second.
    No, it wasn't a human adversary (thank God!), but it still called for quick reactions and very careful shot placement.
    Now, bring on more eyerolls and snark.

What rhino said.

Also, I am confident in saying that no one has any issue with you, or anyone else, carrying a 10mm. But saying that you can draw your weapon, insert a magazine, chamber a round and fire an accurate shot in less than a second will get you the eye roll every time. That's just my take on it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

Thats some super human **** right there man. I bet you would give Jerry Miculek a run for his money.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    This thread oozes awesomeness. Hard looks AND a sub-1s draw, mag, charge, and accurate shot, on a target that was presumably moving and maybe close to or engaged with a "friendly". Oh, and internet baddassery, to boot.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Sir! Don't run off. I, for one, would be willing to observe your skills and if you can do as you say, I'll be the loudest one telling these circle-jerkers (by the way, for clarification, this is a technical term that means "people who sit in a circle, sing folk tunes, and make dried meat snacks together") that you CAN, in fact, draw a gun, load a mag, chamber a round, and fire an accurate shot (or any shot, for that matter...) in less than a second. I'll post a youtube video to accompany it.

Last edited:

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I'm trying to get my mind around that idea. 1 second. Simply counting in my head....one-one-thousand....that's not very long.

I realize that I'm turtle slow compared to many, and I haven't ever timed myself like that, but I'm certain it would take me WAY longer. Draw, mag, rack, aim, shoot. Even just getting a reasonable shot on paper, nevermind a bad guy with the stress that would add.

I'm curious if others may have timed that series, possibly while trying to shave time off reloads for competition, etc. Does anyone have numbers that they would be willing to share?

Top Bottom