French Army: Adieu Le Clarion, Faire la Bise HK416???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Is that because they are sturdier when dropped? Perhaps they are less likely to impede the raising of the arms during surrender? Maybe they come with a built in white flag gun rail?:dunno:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have been to France many times. No matter how hard I would try to be polite and respectful I was always treated rudely. So I have no great love for the French people. Having said that it is a historical fact that the evacuation at Dunkirk would never have happened if a lot of brave French soldiers had not laid down their lives to protect that beachhead. How much that may have impacted the war is arguable at best. But you should not paint all French soldiers with one broad stroke of cowardice because it is untrue and unjust.
    If we honor our dead at Normandy, then we should also honor the French dead at Dunkirk.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Nothing is decided yet, the logic would want that the weapon is built in France and not in a foreign country (like the actual FA-MAS and PA-MAS are).
    A company based in Saint Etienne is proposing its own version of the AR15.
    They are also talking about the F90 by Thales.
    Too soon to know for sure.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    All right--just to set the record straight, there was no animosity meant in my remarks, just trying to be humorous. I have friends and acquaintances who are French and I speak French. I kid them all the time and they usually give back as good as they get. So lighten up, people.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have been to France many times. No matter how hard I would try to be polite and respectful I was always treated rudely. So I have no great love for the French people. Having said that it is a historical fact that the evacuation at Dunkirk would never have happened if a lot of brave French soldiers had not laid down their lives to protect that beachhead. How much that may have impacted the war is arguable at best. But you should not paint all French soldiers with one broad stroke of cowardice because it is untrue and unjust.
    If we honor our dead at Normandy, then we should also honor the French dead at Dunkirk.

:yesway:

Hey im French and im sometimes treated rudely too by Parisians.It depends where you go, you might be treated rudely in Paris but we love Americans in Normandy.
    US flags all year around on our beaches and all. :patriot:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    :yesway:

Hey im French and im sometimes treated rudely too by Parisians.It depends where you go, you might be treated rudely in Paris but we love Americans in Normandy.
    US flags all year around on our beaches and all. :patriot:
    Mostly I was on the south coast. There is no love for Americans there.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Mostly I was on the south coast. There is no love for Americans there.

Maybe they just didn't like you and it had nothing to do with the fact that you're American? :dunno: ;)

It also depends what language you speak, many tourists expect the locals to speak English to them and dont try to speak any French.
    I think I would be treated the same if I tried to ask for directions in French in the US.

You should come to Normandy, it's like the 51st state here. :D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Maybe they just didn't like you and it had nothing to do with the fact that you're American? :dunno: ;)

It also depends what language you speak, many tourists expect the locals to speak English to them and dont try to speak any French.
    I think I would be treated the same if I tried to ask for directions in French in the US.

Visiting Normandy is something I have always wanted to do. Alas, my days as a world traveller are now past.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY

I think this is the height of rudeness. Especially considering our attitude about speaking English here at home. To go to another country and not even attempt to speak their language is a blatant insult on its' face. Many people in other places speak English, but it is an accommodation, not a necessity. I find that when you try and speak their language, they will return the favor by speaking to you in English. It's respectful to at least try and speak the native language, even if your accent is poor, and your conjugations lacking.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think this is the height of rudeness. Especially considering our attitude about speaking English here at home. To go to another country and not even attempt to speak their language is a blatant insult on its' face. Many people in other places speak English, but it is an accommodation, not a necessity. I find that when you try and speak their language, they will return the favor by speaking to you in English. It's respectful to at least try and speak the native language, even if your accent is poor, and your conjugations lacking.

I certainly agree. However, an American Sailor will often visit Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, the UAE, Bahrain and occasionally Portugal in a six month cruise. My language skills were not up to the task. But I tried. The funny thing is that sometimes we would swing up to the UK and we couldn't understand them either.:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Very true.

When im asked something in English in the street by a tourist I tell him/her either in French or in very broken English that I dont understand.
    "Sorry me speak little English". :):

The other time a Gentleman from the UK asked my for direction in French, he's French was not good enough to understand my answer in French but was good enough for me to understand his question.So I answered him in English and he even said "thank you" in French after that.

Speaking a foreign language is part of the fun when you visit a foreign country.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012

I wouldn't necessarily see that it would be an insult if you are just a tourist and visiting, on the other hand if you plan to live there than yes I believe you should learn the language.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom