French Army: Adieu Le Clarion, Faire la Bise HK416???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I certainly agree. However, an American Sailor will often visit Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, the UAE, Bahrain and occasionally Portugal in a six month cruise. My language skills were not up to the task. But I tried. The funny thing is that sometimes we would swing up to the UK and we couldn't understand them either.:D

You dont have to speak all those languages at a native speaker level to be well treated by the locals.
    Sometimes just saying a few words like "hello", "thanks", "how are you?" and such in the local language before you use your English is just fine.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I actually enjoyed attempting to speak in the local language. Always made the trip a bit more fun. I can't say I enjoyed much success though. I do not do the "ugly American". I understand what it means to be a guest.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    I have my doubts about that story. Why would the French change rifles? I have not read any bad comments on the MAS rifles. Been around since the late 1970's and the troops are OK with it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have my doubts about that story. Why would the French change rifles? I have not read any bad comments on the MAS rifles. Been around since the late 1970's and the troops are OK with it.

They are planning to get a new rifle by 2013 but we dont know which model yet.
    The HK 416 has been adopted by some units in 2009, mostly special forces and GIGN, but nothing says that this same model will be adopted by the entire military.

There are few reasons why they want to get rid of the FAMAS (mostly problems with ammo and magazine).

The Belgian FN SCAR, HK G36, ARX 160 by Beretta and the F90 by Thales could be some options tested from what I read.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I certainly agree. However, an American Sailor will often visit Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, the UAE, Bahrain and occasionally Portugal in a six month cruise. My language skills were not up to the task. But I tried. The funny thing is that sometimes we would swing up to the UK and we couldn't understand them either.:D

Yeah, this I can certainly understand. But maybe just a few local phrases would be good. Hello, goodbye, where's the bar/restaurant/hookers and blow, should get you by. ;)

Very true.

When im asked something in English in the street by a tourist I tell him/her either in French or in very broken English that I dont understand.
    "Sorry me speak little English". :):

The other time a Gentleman from the UK asked my for direction in French, he's French was not good enough to understand my answer in French but was good enough for me to understand his question.So I answered him in English and he even said "thank you" in French after that.

Speaking a foreign language is part of the fun when you visit a foreign country.

And this is exactly what I mean. :)

I wouldn't necessarily see that it would be an insult if you are just a tourist and visiting, on the other hand if you plan to live there than yes I believe you should learn the language.

I'm not saying you need to be fluent. Heck, I'm trying to learn Russian right now. My conjugation is awful, and I still make mistakes even with my online lessons. But I'd be understandable if I asked where is the bathroom, can you bring me a cup of coffee please, things like this. In return, I might get some English as a favor. One hand washes the other.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm not saying you need to be fluent. Heck, I'm trying to learn Russian right now. My conjugation is awful, and I still make mistakes even with my online lessons. But I'd be understandable if I asked where is the bathroom, can you bring me a cup of coffee please, things like this. In return, I might get some English as a favor. One hand washes the other.

I dont speak English like a native speaker but I never had any problem in the States.Even if I have a foreign accent and make some grammatical mistakes they are still glad im trying to speak their language.

And let me tell you the ladies love the French accent. ;) :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Here is the F90.

Thales-F90.jpg

It looks a lot like the FA-MAS G2, which could be good for training.

famas_10.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It also depends what language you speak, many tourists expect the locals to speak English to them and dont try to speak any French.
    I think I would be treated the same if I tried to ask for directions in French in the US.

Challenge accepted.

You have a smoking hot French chick ask me directions to someplace in downtown Lafayette (Lah-fie-et). Send that newscaster chick, Melissa Theuriau or Aida Tourhri or ________, over and I will answer her in French . . . and then I will weep, softly, to myself.:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Challenge accepted.

You have a smoking hot French chick ask me directions to someplace in downtown Lafayette (Lah-fie-et). Send that newscaster chick, Melissa Theuriau or Aida Tourhri or ________, over and I will answer her in French . . . and then I will weep, softly, to myself.:D

:): :yesway:

Poor Kirk would have an heart attack if Melissa Theuriau knocked on his door asking for directions or saying that she needs a place to spend the night and cant find any hotel in Lafayette area. :D

I think the other name you are looking for is Laurence Ferrari. :dunno:

Laurence-Ferrari-Florence-Schaal-.jpg

Maybe the three could be together for an international journalism congress in Lafayette. ;)

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Only if you wear the beret and hold your cigarette like you do.

When did this start? Need help let us know.

About 2 months ago, I would say. I'm not enrolled in any specific course, I'm simply trying to teach myself, at my leisure, with free online resources. There are quite a few, and I picked it for the challenge it represented. An entirely new alphabet, as well as a language. I'm still at the most basic stage, introductions, simple questions, please and thank yous, but like I said, I'm doing it as a leisurely activity, not as any kind of consolidated coursework.

EDIT: Who's us?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Very true.

When im asked something in English in the street by a tourist I tell him/her either in French or in very broken English that I dont understand.
    "Sorry me speak little English". :):

The other time a Gentleman from the UK asked my for direction in French, he's French was not good enough to understand my answer in French but was good enough for me to understand his question.So I answered him in English and he even said "thank you" in French after that.

Speaking a foreign language is part of the fun when you visit a foreign country.

What if said American tourists was wearing an INGO hat or shirt? Would you still screw with them, or would you reveal yourself as a fellow INGO member and give them a hand?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    About 2 months ago, I would say. I'm not enrolled in any specific course, I'm simply trying to teach myself, at my leisure, with free online resources. There are quite a few, and I picked it for the challenge it represented. An entirely new alphabet, as well as a language. I'm still at the most basic stage, introductions, simple questions, please and thank yous, but like I said, I'm doing it as a leisurely activity, not as any kind of consolidated coursework.

You can do it. :yesway:
    I practically taught myself English, I studied it in school for a few years but I really only became fluent when I studied it by myself and really got interested by the language and the culture.
    Watching movies, US TV shows and all really helped me.
    Of course having a girlfriend that only speaks English kinda forces you to learn pretty quick too. :D
    You also learn the best when you are actually having fun and doing it just for fun and because you like it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What if said American tourists was wearing an INGO hat or shirt? Would you still screw with them, or would you reveal yourself as a fellow INGO member and give them a hand?

You cant say that im "screwing with them".It really depends on the way they act and everything.It's not because they only speak English that I will pretend not to speak any English all the time.

If I actually see a fellow INGO member then I could actually screw with them for fun for a little while and send them in the wrong direction. :D ;)

Then I will show them around and take them eat in some great local restaurants. :ingo:

Top Bottom