French Army: Adieu Le Clarion, Faire la Bise HK416???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    You can do it. :yesway:
    I practically taught myself English, I studied it in school for a few years but I really only became fluent when I studied it by myself and really got interested by the language and the culture.
    Watching movies, US TV shows and all really helped me.
    Of course having a girlfriend that only speaks English kinda forces you to learn pretty quick too. :D
    You also learn the best when you are actually having fun and doing it just for fun and because you like it.

:yesway:

That's great to hear, because that's basically my approach. There are plenty of online resources, including some dedicated educational videos by a particular youtube user I have become fond of. As an exercise I try to find Russian language images, and find words I may know, and from the context make out what it says. I'm wrong as often as right, but it's fun. Plus it cracks me up to hear Русский come out of my gob. It's fun, like you mentioned. So I stick with it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You cant say that im "screwing with them".It really depends on the way they act and everything.It's not because they only speak English that I will pretend not to speak any English all the time.

If I actually see a fellow INGO member then I could actually screw with them for fun for a little while and send them in the wrong direction. :D ;)

Then I will show them around and take them eat in some great local restaurants. :ingo:

I get your point, it has to do with the way they ask mostly Right?

My mom speaks French and taught me a little. I took one year of French in Highschool and didnt do so well so i swithed to Spanish and sucked at it too.

I speak two languages fluently, English and Redneck.

If Im ever roaming lost in France Ill be sure to have an INGO patch on me. Never know who I could bump into. ;)

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY

My mom speaks French and taught me a little. I took one year of French in Highschool and didnt do so well so i swithed to Spanish and sucked at it too.

If Im ever roaming lost in France Ill be sure to have an INGO patch on me. Never know who I could bump into. ;)

All the romance languages are very similar. The verb-noun we use in English are the opposite in the Romances. Plus they have far more conjugations..the genitives, diminutives (muchachito, for instance), and others make them harder to grasp.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    :yesway:

That's great to hear, because that's basically my approach. There are plenty of online resources, including some dedicated educational videos by a particular youtube user I have become fond of. As an exercise I try to find Russian language images, and find words I may know, and from the context make out what it says. I'm wrong as often as right, but it's fun. Plus it cracks me up to hear Русский come out of my gob. It's fun, like you mentioned. So I stick with it.

It takes time to master a language, so dont give up and dont try to understand complicate stuff right away.
    Try learning with kids stuff, like cartoons and things like that, you're not going to understand a speech by Vladimir Putin right away.
    But the more you watch movies or listen to music the more you will recognize words, you will still have some blanks and things you dont get but the more you practice the less blanks you will have.

Sometimes I listen to US songs I was listening when I was younger, at that time I could just understand a few words in the lyrics.Now I understand 100% of the words.I just liked the music but had no idea what they said, it's interesting to hear them now.

Yeah some people come at you and impose their language on you, not sure how to explain.
    I would never approach someone in the US and directly speak to them in French, unless im in Lousiana or something.
    Some can actually speak some French and still be rude where some people just know a few words of French and will feel sorry about it and be nice.
    If the guy is rude even though he uses French I can start to speak faster and use more fancy words that he wont understand.
    If the guy is nice I will speak very slowly using simple words.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    All the romance languages are very similar. The verb-noun we use in English are the opposite in the Romances. Plus they have far more conjugations..the genitives, diminutives (muchachito, for instance), and others make them harder to grasp.

Yeah I noticed. I can speak and pronounce the words just fine its getting the verb placement and masculine/feminine usage correct that I have trouble with. I always end up defaulting to the english format with the French or Spanish words that Im sure sounds terrible to a native speaker because I just butchered thier language.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Yeah I read that Russian and French are some of the hardest languages to learn because of the grammar.
    And to be honest French grammar is hard for me and I do some mistakes that I dont do in English even though it's my native language.

It's easier for me to speak in French than it is to speak in English but it's easier to write in English than it is in French.
    Plus you have the different accents and everything in French, letters that you dont pronounce in words and more. :rolleyes:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah I noticed. I can speak and pronounce the words just fine its getting the verb placement and masculine/feminine usage correct that I have trouble with. I always end up defaulting to the english format with the French or Spanish words that Im sure sounds terrible to a native speaker because I just butchered thier language.

The use of the masculine/feminine is quite hard for English native speakers.You just have to learn the gender of each word and there is no logic way to find the gender of a word unless you learned it.

Like "un bureau" (a desk) is masculine, but "une table" (a table) is feminine. :n00b: :dunno:
    Depending if you use your table as a desk or as a table to eat it will change the gender, go figure.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Yeah I read that Russian and French are some of the hardest languages to learn because of the grammar.
    And to be honest French grammar is hard for me and I do some mistakes that I dont do in English even though it's my native language.

It's easier for me to speak in French than it is to speak in English but it's easier to write in English than it is in French.
    Plus you have the different accents and everything in French, letters that you dont pronounce in words and more. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Russian has the unpronounced letters too. They modify the letter before them, softening or hardening their pronunciation. I think I'll try the kids stuff too. Anything that helps, right? The thing I've noticed about Russian is the large enunciation differences between it and latin alphabet/germanic languages, like english. In english everthing is its own word, and is clearly enunciated. In Russian, words and even individual letters just run together like soup.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It takes time to master a language, so dont give up and dont try to understand complicate stuff right away.
    Try learning with kids stuff, like cartoons and things like that, you're not going to understand a speech by Vladimir Putin right away.
    But the more you watch movies or listen to music the more you will recognize words, you will still have some blanks and things you dont get but the more you practice the less blanks you will have.

Sometimes I listen to US songs I was listening when I was younger, at that time I could just understand a few words in the lyrics.Now I understand 100% of the words.I just liked the music but had no idea what they said, it's interesting to hear them now.

I do the same thing. I like Ramstien but I have no F-ing clue what they are saying.

Yeah some people come at you and impose their language on you, not sure how to explain.
    I would never approach someone in the US and directly speak to them in French, unless im in Lousiana or something.
    Some can actually speak some French and still be rude where some people just know a few words of French and will feel sorry about it and be nice.
    If the guy is rude even though he uses French I can start to speak faster and use more fancy words that he wont understand.
    If the guy is nice I will speak very slowly using simple words.

I understand what you mean. My finace's cousin is married to a man from Brazil. He speaks decent but somtimes broken english and we have had diccussions on this very topic. Recently His brother and wife came to visit and we all went to HolidayWorld and they speak no english what so ever. So we all had to talk through each other and I picked up a few Portuguses words enough to comunicate with them threw crude words and hand jestures. I do like hearing and trying to speak different languages but so far have not mastered one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very true.

When im asked something in English in the street by a tourist I tell him/her either in French or in very broken English that I dont understand.
    "Sorry me speak little English". :):

The other time a Gentleman from the UK asked my for direction in French, he's French was not good enough to understand my answer in French but was good enough for me to understand his question.So I answered him in English and he even said "thank you" in French after that.

Speaking a foreign language is part of the fun when you visit a foreign country.
    C'est vrai! Je parles Francais, mais un peu, seulement. :) (Gosh I hope I said what I think I did! :): )

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Makes sense to me. Why not buy from the country that occupied you twice in

the last century. The rationale being they must know more than you do. Plus the fact they are drop resistant. Win Win:rockwoot:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

I actually find that reading French is much easier for me than speaking it, but maybe that's true for all non-native speakers. (maybe that's why I get laughed at!)

Top Bottom