• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I found japanese beatles chewing my prized porch container Charlotte strawberries. Dawn water solution does not bother the japanese beatles. :xmad: They still squish though. :bat:
    Strange ( but sure thankful ) that we have yet to see any Japanese Beetles on anything this year ???
    They are usually all over our grapes and blackberries by now ..................(BTW, Grapes are looking awesome so far )
    Knocking on wood for now ............... ;)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I tore out the garden to try a raised bed this season.

I don't think I am going back!

View attachment 285970
    Slowly changing over also.
    Still do row crops the way my grandfather did. Corn beans ect.

Taking the non row crops we used to row into the beds as I continue to grow good soil to fill raised beds. Lots of organic material and compost does raise the quality of the stuff grown.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Did some weeding around the curcurbits. Pulled a few few hogs that were hidden. Using the "Ridgeline" method for training cukes up this year. Seems to be working well.

My Roma's got hit with a lot of blossom end rot this year. Cherry tomatoes are turning fast. Just shy of a pint/day now.

IMG_20230708_204827648.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Might end up with this batch of cortida being a bit spicy?

Hands still feeling a bit "warm" an hour after massaging the cabbage lacto-ferment mix...

20230715_182838.jpg

:n00b:

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    A question about sweet banana peppers. I have grown them for years and they always start out a light green and transition to light yellow as they ripen. I planted what I believe to be run of the mill sweet peppers again this year but they look different. They started out dark green and have not lightened much at all. The picture below shows them to be lighter than they actually appear. In past years, they would be yellow and ripe by now and several are pretty huge. I finally cut up one and ate it this morning. It tasted kind of green and not all that sweet. I'll let them go a while longer to see what happens.

Any thoughts or experiences like this?

Thanks

IMG_1545.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A question about sweet banana peppers. I have grown them for years and they always start out a light green and transition to light yellow as they ripen. I planted what I believe to be run of the mill sweet peppers again this year but they look different. They started out dark green and have not lightened much at all. The picture below shows them to be lighter than they actually appear. In past years, they would be yellow and ripe by now and several are pretty huge. I finally cut up one and ate it this morning. It tasted kind of green and not all that sweet. I'll let them go a while longer to see what happens.

Any thoughts or experiences like this?

Thanks

View attachment 287934

Greenhouse plants? I notice more and more peppers and tomatoes (cukes this year too,) that dont turn out what I had planned for.

Sometimes the name is changed to something similar, as if they know the plants may have cross-pollinated, somewhere down the line?

:dunno:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Greenhouse plants? I notice more and more peppers and tomatoes (cukes this year too,) that dont turn out what I had planned for.

Sometimes the name is changed to something similar, as if they know the plants may have cross-pollinated, somewhere down the line?

:dunno:
    Yes, got them at a popular greenhouse where I have shopped the past two years. The little ID stick in the container just said Sweet Banana Pepper. I put some in a salad for lunch and it was pretty good. Just wondering if they will ever turn yellow. Time will tell.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yes, got them at a popular greenhouse where I have shopped the past two years. The little ID stick in the container just said Sweet Banana Pepper. I put some in a salad for lunch and it was pretty good. Just wondering if they will ever turn yellow. Time will tell.
    We have been at 60 degree nights for some time and my peppers are running a bit behind where they normally are. (Weird as the warm nights they like started early and has stayed) Planted on carb day in may. Many just have small peppers and others are on full bloom and some others like my green chili's are producing like the will never see the sunrise.

One thing that might have happened other than a simple mistake of labels or seed is high nitrogen fertilizer concentrations will keep them green longer. Have seen this back when I thought miracle grow was the be all for garden plants.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      385 KB · Views: 1

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    We have been at 60 degree nights for some time and my peppers are running a bit behind where they normally are. (Weird as the warm nights they like started early and has stayed) Planted on carb day in may. Many just have small peppers and others are on full bloom and some others like my green chili's are producing like the will never see the sunrise.

One thing that might have happened other than a simple mistake of labels or seed is high nitrogen fertilizer concentrations will keep them green longer. Have seen this back when I thought miracle grow was the be all for garden plants.
    They were planted in Miracle Go potting soil. That could explain something.

Top Bottom