• ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    People want to help a hero.

He may have forfeited his pistol, for who knows how long.
    Not a big deal for me. I go into the safe, or I go back to the store.
    But a "mid-20s" me. That's a major investment.

Also, maybe he or his girlfriend could use an ankle first aid kit.
    Seems like they'd put it to good use.

And finally, different people donate to different groups, for different reasons.
    Donating or not donating doesn't make you a bad guy, unless maybe you are donating to criminals.

I donate to a lot of veteran's and youth organizations.
    There are people that don't.
    Doesn't bother me. Maybe they donate to others. Maybe none.
    More than just wanting a "hero", two things happened here. First, and probably most obviously, this "untrained" kid reacted immediately in an extremely high-stress situation. He engaged a mass shooter wannabe, reports say, within about 15 seconds, and immediately stopped the attack. No one can say how many more innocents would have been slaughtered if he hadn`t responded, and that fact just cannot be overstated.
    Secondly, he reinforced for us, and likely opened the eyes of some others for the first time, as to how correct NRA`s statement is, that it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. It`s intuitive to us, but to non-gun owners, probably not so much.
    One more thing that this might potentially bring a spotlight to, is the foolishness of gun-free zones. Gun-free zones, just like gun control laws have no effect on criminals and only restrict those who are already law-abiding. I believe all gun-free zones ought to be abolished, period. But we ought to at least have that discussion.
    Oh, and you bet I donated.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    More than just wanting a "hero", two things happened here. First, and probably most obviously, this "untrained" kid reacted immediately in an extremely high-stress situation. He engaged a mass shooter wannabe, reports say, within about 15 seconds, and immediately stopped the attack. No one can say how many more innocents would have been slaughtered if he hadn`t responded, and that fact just cannot be overstated.
    Secondly, he reinforced for us, and likely opened the eyes of some others for the first time, as to how correct NRA`s statement is, that it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. It`s intuitive to us, but to non-gun owners, probably not so much.
    One more thing that this might potentially bring a spotlight to, is the foolishness of gun-free zones. Gun-free zones, just like gun control laws have no effect on criminals and only restrict those who are already law-abiding. I believe all gun-free zones ought to be abolished, period. But we ought to at least have that discussion.
    Oh, and you bet I donated.
    Everyone saying he was untrained. We don't know what his grandfather taught him, or how he trained in his personal time.
    The boy had some fine training even if it wasn't a shooting class, or law enforcement, or military.
    This shows you an individual can train themselves, or get good training outside the norm if they have the will to do so.

Not getting after you Gregr just stating that someone can be a good shot and have tactical capabilities if they want outside of classes, or LEO/Military.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Everyone saying he was untrained. We don't know what his grandfather taught him, or how he trained in his personal time.
    The boy had some fine training even if it wasn't a shooting class, or law enforcement, or military.
    This shows you an individual can train themselves, or get good training outside the norm if they have the will to do so.

Not getting after you Gregr just stating that someone can be a good shot and have tactical capabilities if they want outside of classes, or LEO/Military.
    I couldn`t agree with you more. The reason I put untrained in quotation marks was that the media repeatedly said he had no police or military training. But you`re exactly right, he had to have had some sort of training. Local law enforcement was quoted as remarking about how tactically sound he was. The more I read about this kid, the more amazing he is to me. To not be military or law enforcement, and to go towards gunfire rather than away. To immediately engage the shooter, and from the distance he reportedly engaged him from. The presence of mind to stay trained on the collapsed shooter until law enforcement arrived. I just don`t imagine there`s a thing he could have done better.

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    I would rather give my money away to a meaningful cause, or someone who is actually doing community work for their community. This was simply a right time at the right place situation, and it's kinda weird to me how everyone is so ready to put the kid on a pedestal like he's a god. Sure, he stopped a lot more senseless death from happening, but his good deed ended when the shooter dropped.
    I heard there is a police force in Texas that could use some more hand sanitizer

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I would rather give my money away to a meaningful cause, or someone who is actually doing community work for their community. This was simply a right time at the right place situation, and it's kinda weird to me how everyone is so ready to put the kid on a pedestal like he's a god. Sure, he stopped a lot more senseless death from happening, but his good deed ended when the shooter dropped.

What's with the hyperbole? Who's making him a "god"?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Cynically speaking, were I a LGS owner, I'd call Guy's office and offer to give Eli a replacement gun and accessories to replace the ones the police have currently.
    Ok, serious question. I can understand they seize it as evidence during the investigation, but why wouldn’t they return it in a timely manner? It seems pretty obvious he acted in defense of himself and others, so what is the point of holding onto his firearm for who knows how long? Are they just picking things apart to try to find charges???

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok, serious question. I can understand they seize it as evidence during the investigation, but why wouldn’t they return it in a timely manner? It seems pretty obvious he acted in defense of himself and others, so what is the point of holding onto his firearm for who knows how long? Are they just picking things apart to try to find charges???
    Because that area does some stupid "rifling" check on ALL guns taken in.

Seems like it should be WRONG.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Because that area does some stupid "rifling" check on ALL guns taken in.

Seems like it should be WRONG.
    Actually they are a couple hundred yards south of where those shenanigans happen. I dont think Johnson County nor Greenwood does that crap. Only Marion County to my knowledge.

Top Bottom