• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    ...and what great freedoms will the Scottish government protect that the UK didn't?

We will have to watch and see. Its impossible to know that before said government exists.

Regardless of the outcome, it is their inherent right to self-govern, and succeed or fail on their own terms.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, the polls are closed now and the counting of the ballots is going on. We'll know what the verdict is in the morning. I wish my Scottish cousins the best!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We will have to watch and see. Its impossible to know that before said government exists.

Regardless of the outcome, it is their inherent right to self-govern, and succeed or fail on their own terms.

As part of the UK, Scotland self-governs. People vote; they are represented. I don't have a dog in this hunt,, but "we have to be independent to know what being independent means" sounds a lot like "we have to pass the bill to find out what's in the bill."

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It does sound like that. Maybe there will be no net change in any freedom.

That is still their prerogative and no explanation is necessary to exercise it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So Scotland has been without representative government all this time? They'll be surprised to know that.

Reread what I said. I didn’t say anything about lack of representative government. As it stands they're outnumbered by people who aren't Scots in that representative government. Kind of like Indiana doesn't always get its way in our representative government. If everything always went Scotland's way it's not likely they'd be seriously considering this.

I don't personally have any dog in this fight whatsoever, and I know they'll have to bear the consequences of their actions whatever they may be. But at least if they secede they'll be able to make their own decisions without being overridden by England whenever it suits the English to override them.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Houghmade, there's lots of info on the outcome of the referendum. It's just not in American news sources. There are many stories that list the pluses and minuses in the British and Scots press, (for those who've been following it). The Scots have been paying attention and are a reasonably well informed populace, unlike the US. The voter turnout has been pretty darned high and I doubt that a lot of lemmings have voted just for a lark.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Are you saying the Scots aren't capable of self rule, and can't survive without the English?

Personally, I don't care about the outcome. Yes, they have the right- that's why the vote is taking place. It just seems like there is kneejerk HERE- "always break up every time no matter what". Well, why? Shouldn't there be a good reason to change the status quo?

As for "apples and oranges"- 1776 is not 2014 in any way, shape or form.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Personally, I don't care about the outcome. Yes, they have the right- that's why the vote is taking place. It just seems like there is kneejerk HERE- "always break up every time no matter what". Well, why? Shouldn't there be a good reason to change the status quo?

As for "apples and oranges"- 1776 is not 2014 in any way, shape or form.

I'm not sure what your point is about it being 2014 vs 1776. Why does the date matter in this?

That aside ... We've spent an awful lot of time around here deriding the UK for their laws, so why all of a sudden should the Scots stay with them?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Jbombelli - Perhaps I see where HoughMade is going with this.

NO ONE here doubts their inherent right to choose to secede. That said, one need not secede to prove that the right exists.

Just because you have the right to do something - do not necessarily make doing it the right choice. They may indeed be better off in the UK. By the mere threat of it, they have already won a bunch of concessions. It will be interesting to hear the choice.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Some of the pros and cons.

Scottish Independence Pros and Cons - Scottish Independence Pros and Cons | Twizz

The Pros and Cons of Scottish Independence

A few links on the issues at stake in the vote on Scotland's potential secession from the United Kingdom - The Washington Post

Right now lots of money flows from Scotland to the south, when it could better serve the interests of the Scottish people. And their parliaments are almost polar opposites. The chances are good that they'd adopt a Nordic model for their government, since they have a lot more in common. And the Nordic countries are doing OK.

Top Bottom