Guns Go Bang Without Fingers (yes, again)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Wow. If I painted with a brush that wide I could paint the new BUG out house in 20 minutes!

I have a shop full of weapons you would define as "junk".

Based on your logic it's a bit shocking how many folks died in the wars of the 20th century. You do realize if a Mosin Nagant 91/30 was manufactured in the USA today with union labor the cost would be around $500-$600 per rifle, right?

Walther PPK's, Lugars. 1911's, Mauser k98's, Mosins, Garands, M1 Carbines, K frame Smith revolvers. N frame Smith revolvers....All junk collected for my daughter to auction off when I die? I have to assume you are joking because I can't imagine anyone being that obtuse.

I know there are guys that look down their noses at new weapons due to the plastic parts, lack of qc, etc....But I had never met anyone that looked down their nose at classic firearms. Hat's off for being unique I guess.

Sorry Bud, Some of us would rather Have you buy 50 to 100 guns From my shopwith thousands of rounds of ammunition to take to our range. Don't be jealous of these guys. Strive to have as many guns as you can. It's not all about Zombies you know.

Fixed it for ya.

No of course its not about Zombies, its about proficiency.

Which only goes DOWN the more types of guns you have / shoot.

But of course, you make your money off of gun collectors, not shooters, so your viewpoint is to be expected.

That may be why you find the viewpoint so rare, but belive me, there are a lot of folks that value increasing their skill and speed with firearms over collecting a whole bunch of, I will say it again.. old junk.

MY OPINION is that if your goal is to own a lot of guns as you say, fine.

But there are a lot of people whos goal is to get a few guns and become as proficient as possible with them, that see ZERO point in 50 - 100 guns made before our fathers were born.

I do not understand why you find that so hard a viewpoint to fathom.

Sorry if that doesnt pay the bills, but the best shooters I know do not have 50 - 100 old guns in a giant safe back at home.

They practice, win matches, and compete with the very few that they are experts with.

And you can keep your malfunctioning euro-junk pistols from old grandpappy.

And as far as jealousy, the more I get into shooting, the farther I get away from being a "Gun nut" and a "Collector".

I am selling guns, because I simply dont need as many as I have.

Focus is the mother of proficiency.

Diversification does nothing but dilute your skill level.

Hopefully I have clarified my position, and that there actually are people out there who believe skill with a few guns is a greater achievement than a safe full of guns that you cant shoot worth a damn.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Call yourself a shooter or collector or both as I do.:D

My point is that guns, in the hands of collectors or shooters, go bang when fingers are not on triggers. It's like a them of mine on INGO.:)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    About 2 yrs. ago at a gunshow my friend bought one of those small pocket .22's...think it was around 250.00....can't remember the brand, but it was brand new...a few months later he told me he dropped it, it landed on the ground by his feet an went off, he found where the bullet hit about 15 yds away....that was it for that gun, said he wouldn't carry it anymore.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ......but it was brand new...a few months later he told me he dropped it, it landed on the ground by his feet an went off, he found where the bullet hit about 15 yds away.......

shocked-monkey.jpg

BUT BUT BUT IT'S A MODERN GUN.... PERFECTLY SAFE TO DROP... THEY NEVER GO OFF!!!11!!

(I learned this on INGO)
    (Also, it is completely safe and appropriate to stand down range during live fire.)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    BUT BUT BUT IT'S A MODERN GUN.... PERFECTLY SAFE TO DROP... THEY NEVER GO OFF!!!11!!

(I learned this on INGO)
    (Also, it is completely safe and appropriate to stand down range during live fire.)

On another thread a guy said he threw his Glock down the stairs to show a friend that the gun wouldn't go off even when dropped. :n00b:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Fixed it for ya.

But of course, you make your money off of gun collectors, not shooters, so your viewpoint is to be expected.

That may be why you find the viewpoint so rare, but belive me, there are a lot of folks that value increasing their skill and speed with firearms over collecting a whole bunch of, I will say it again.. old junk.

But there are a lot of people whos goal is to get a few guns and become as proficient as possible with them, that see ZERO point in 50 - 100 guns made before our fathers were born.

Sorry if that doesnt pay the bills, but the best shooters I know do not have 50 - 100 old guns in a giant safe back at home.

They practice, win matches, and compete with the very few that they are experts with.

And as far as jealousy, the more I get into shooting, the farther I get away from being a "Gun nut" and a "Collector".

Hopefully I have clarified my position, and that there actually are people out there who believe skill with a few guns is a greater achievement than a safe full of guns that you cant shoot worth a damn.

Seriously. Where do you get those big brushes? I really want one now. My customers are going to be shocked to know how little proficiency they have.

I wasn't knocking folks with one gun that are great shots (like you apparently are, I am in awe of your awesome proficiency.) You were knocking old guns. I think that is very disrespectful. They are inanimate objects that can not help how old they are.

Hopefully I have clarified my position, and that there are people out there who believe that you can have a safe full of old guns and still be able to shoot with skill. I don't see how the number of firearms one has affects their skill level. Maybe it's different up north. You are the first person I have ever had a conversation with that looks down their nose at older classic firearms. I find your comments fascinating and a window into the mind of the new generation of "shootists". Thank you again.

If you ever make it south stop by and hopefully I can show you that guns are more than just a means to take out multiple assailants. It's hard to explain but there is something very satisfying about owning and shooting a firearm with alot of history. I know that to some folks guns are just "tools". There are many people who love "Grandpappys guns" and are surprisingly quite proficient with them.

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Seriously. Where do you get those big brushes? I really want one now. My customers are going to be shocked to know how little proficiency they have.

I wasn't knocking folks with one gun that are great shots (like you apparently are, I am in awe of your awesome proficiency.) You were knocking old guns. I think that is very disrespectful. They are inanimate objects that can not help how old they are.

Hopefully I have clarified my position, and that there are people out there who believe that you can have a safe full of old guns and still be able to shoot with skill. I don't see how the number of firearms one has affects their skill level. Maybe it's different up north. You are the first person I have ever had a conversation with that looks down their nose at older classic firearms. I find your comments fascinating and a window into the mind of the new generation of "shootists". Thank you again.

If you ever make it south stop by and hopefully I can show you that guns are more than just a means to take out multiple assailants. It's hard to explain but there is something very satisfying about owning and shooting a firearm with alot of history. I know that to some folks guns are just "tools". There are many people who love "Grandpappys guns" and are surprisingly quite proficient with them.

Don't waste your time. He's always like this.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    All firearms, all of them, can discharge upon loading or unloading and do NOT need fingers on triggers to go bang. I know some on INGO fight me over this, but if the space shuttle can go up like a bottle rocket your $100 piece of steel/plastic can malfunction too.

As being a person who has had a firearm go off in his hands upon chambering a round, finger completely off the trigger, I am not one of the INGO'ers to fight you over this.

It was a 2011 manufactured firearm too, cleaned properly. Sometimes, **** just happens :dunno:

On another thread a guy said he threw his Glock down the stairs to show a friend that the gun wouldn't go off even when dropped. :n00b:

Oh god, no.... Just no..... O_O

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Yes they can and do fail.

Obey the basic rules of safety and you are OK. I have a very nice sand filled tube used to load and unload my firearms at home. Always keep it pointed in a safe direction. They don't go off by themselves (never seen or heard of a gun firing without some external force acting upon it) but they can malfunction. They are made to fire a projectile and they normally do that very well, the best safety is between your ears.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fixed it for ya.

Another angle. I have a safe full of guns but they all follow a specific theme. Not as many as Kirk I am sure but more than others. The ones (1911's) I shoot the most all feel near the same in my hands. The bolt guns are close in size and fit to me. The M-4's and A-R's are the same way. Yes, like a car or any piece of machinery there are minor character differences between them but not so much as to throw me off point.

Back to the OP's topic..they can and do fail. Parts wear out or just do not fit for any number of reasons. One of my favorite pistols would go full auto on occasion after a poorly executed trigger job. The hammer would not lock back and followed the slide. It has been repaired. Just a machine, a tool so it needs maintenance. Well, it needed a much better gun smith.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t

Ninja, please! :rolleyes:

I've got all the gun skool McDojo certs I need to stack against yours (and Kirk makes me look like a n00b!) and the last shootin' match I went to, clean across the continent, I didn't even have to pay my own airfare to get there.

Believe it or not, people can be serious about shooting AND collect guns at the same time. No, really, it's true!

If someone wants to be proficient at shooting, they should concentrate on shooting their shootin' irons. I blogged on this years ago.

All that being said, your comments describing the Astra 600 as "junk" tell me everything I need to know about your qualifications for evaluating the mechanical qualities of a pistol. Thank you for playing!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If we want to talk antiques and AD, you may consider the M1912 Steyr. It had a design flaw that would have your thumb hit the safety lever under recoil (pushing it far enough up toward the 'safe' position) shutting down the pistol. If you moved it back to the 'fire' position, it would promptly fire without a finger on the trigger. If you moved it fully into the 'safe' position first and then back down to 'fire', you could resume as you were free of incident.

Top Bottom