Guns Go Bang Without Fingers (yes, again)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    All firearms, all of them, can discharge upon loading or unloading and do NOT need fingers on triggers to go bang. I know some on INGO fight me over this, but if the space shuttle can go up like a bottle rocket your $100 piece of steel/plastic can malfunction too.

Remember, every time, every single time you load or unload the gun can go bang regardless of where your finger is.
    You are correct... If the catch on my Hk, and the firing pin block both fail at the same time, my Hk can possibly go bang on accident... Of course you are more likely to be struck by an astroid......... :D

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Rhino.

To be honest, Kirk is the reason I put a 5 gal. bucket of sand right outside the door from my kitchen to my garage.
    I now have a barrel of sand in my trunk for reloading at the range! Thanks Kirk.

All joking aside. It is always good to have reminders. We all tend to get complacent with our guns because we handle them all the time. It is just human nature, so to get a reminder from time to time is always a good thing.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I thought that was the point of muzzle awareness. Anything mechanical has the potential to break at the most inconvenient times.
    Yep Murphy's Law will rear its ugly head at the most inconvenient and inopportune times. If we use basic safety procedures which were thought of before some of us were born, when Murphy appears we will just be red-faced and nobody will be injured.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't have the money to buy every firearm that catches my fancy, but that doesn't lead me to believe that it's stupid to collect all sorts of firearms. It does seem sort of arrogant to assume that one's preferences automatically are superior to others' preferences in just about any subject.

On a completely different note, I've always wondered why the producers of the Indy1500 don't put sand barrels in front of the entrance to the venue.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    To go back along w/ the topic at hand, what do you INGOers recommend as a course of action for going to a gun shop?

Do you recommend just leaving your gun locked in your car?

Do you recommend planning your gun shop visit to just go unarmed?

Do you recommend loading/unloading in the parking lot using as much SAFE backstop as humanly possible?

I know that most (Kirk, I'm lookin' at you:cool:) don't advocate unholstering your gun in public (unless you need to use it in defense of course) so, in all seriousness, what do you think is the proper protocol for making sure you enter the gun shop while obeying their rules?

EDIT: I didn't make it clear. Gun shops that I've been to have signs that read that they don't want you to have a loaded weapon in the store.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    To go back along w/ the topic at hand, what do you INGOers recommend as a course of action for going to a gun shop?

Do you recommend loading/unloading in the parking lot using as much SAFE backstop as humanly possible?

I know that most (Kirk, I'm lookin' at you:cool:) don't advocate unholstering your gun in public (unless you need to use it in defense of course) so, in all seriousness, what do you think is the proper protocol for making sure you enter the gun shop while obeying their rules?

Why would you want to obey a rule that's dangerous?
    You could need your gun for self defense inside the shop, your gun can be stolen in your car, you can have a ND while clearing your gun.
    The safest place for the gun is in your holster, on your person.
    I would ignore the sign as long as it's legal to carry in the building. :dunno:

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    I guess I posed my question b/c I've never been to a gunshop that doesn't have that sign and while I know that sign doesn't have legal bearing on its face, I've just always obeyed. The only place I've ever been checked is Bare Arms in Noblesville. I had to actually unholster and show a cleared chamber.

Do you (and others) just ignore the sign at your LGS?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I know of no gun shop (in Indiucky or Kentuckiana, depending what side of the river you are on) that does not allow their customers to pack their gun when they come into their shop. I am not saying they do not exist but it seems to me the further South you go the less you run into that kind of misplaced logic.

I spoke on the phone to an ISP officer(when I was getting my State license to sell handguns) that told me he wil not allow his wife or child (or himself) to go into a business where someone is OC'ing. I told him it must be tuff on him working around all of those LEO's with their weapons prominently dispayed on their hip. He began sputtering a bit and I made a joke about Indy being a bit different than the southern part of the State.

He told me they were on vacation in AZ and they left because some local guy was packing his 1911 (while it was COCKED he said incredously!!!). I laughed and asked if he was really from Indiana and he said yes. I just don't get "gun phobia". I never have and never will.

My recomendation. Probably the same as kirk's. I won't go into a place that dangerous. Gun free zones can be pretty dangerous places.

IMHO lest my thoughts be misconstrued as being "testy."

Whoops. One exception (but I don't consider it a "gun shop" really. Bass Pro Shop) and I think that issue was addressed in another thread somewhere.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I guess I posed my question b/c I've never been to a gunshop that doesn't have that sign and while I know that sign doesn't have legal bearing on its face, I've just always obeyed. The only place I've ever been checked is Bare Arms in Noblesville. I had to actually unholster and show a cleared chamber.

I never saw this signs in any gun store. :dunno:

Im also not looking for signs anyway, so I could have missed it.

That sign is ridiculous anywhere, especially in a gun store. :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes........
    I will not frequent if I have to disarm to enter a gun shop

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have seen this happen with a brand new ruger .17 bolt action. While at a public range a guy pulled up and sat at the rest next to us. Started talking to him and he told us he had just left the gun show and wanted to sight in his scope. After loading he closed the bolt and it fired. We all thought (including him) that he must have had his finger on the trigger when he slammed the bolt shut. While loading another round into the chamber all eyes were on him. His hand was way back on the stock and finger was no where near the trigger. Yep it happened again. Nothing touched the trigger and the gun fired. He unloaded and headed back to the gunshow o talk to the dealer. Last I seen him, do not know what happened after that.

"Asked me how I pleaded, 'Not Guilty', I said. 'Not Guilty', I said, you got the wrong man. Nothin' touched the trigger but the Devil's right hand." --Steve Earle ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    After getting my first 1911, which was also my first handgun, I was amazed to see a light strike on the primer of the chambered round after unloading it. I don't know how close it was to an AD, but I've seen fired rounds with a similar size strike. The lesson that chambering a round can cause it to fire was learned very quickly. That gun got a spring change and all guns get loaded over a safe area after that.

On the signs in the gun shops, I do see them around and have never given them much thought. I just pull the shirt over it and do not touch the gun in public. Loading and unloading unnecessarily introduces a risk that we need not have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After getting my first 1911, which was also my first handgun, I was amazed to see a light strike on the primer of the chambered round after unloading it. I don't know how close it was to an AD, but I've seen fired rounds with a similar size strike. The lesson that chambering a round can cause it to fire was learned very quickly. That gun got a spring change and all guns get loaded over a safe area after that.

On the signs in the gun shops, I do see them around and have never given them much thought. I just pull the shirt over it and do not touch the gun in public. Loading and unloading unnecessarily introduces a risk that we need not have.

Unless I am in a high stress scenario I always chamber the round with my hand ie. pull the slide back and allow the slide to push it in with my hand on the slide. I never drop the slide with the slide lock for this reason.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    After getting my first 1911, which was also my first handgun, I was amazed to see a light strike on the primer of the chambered round after unloading it. I don't know how close it was to an AD,

That is also your AR-15, your Remington 870 and a bunch of other guns.

It's an inertia firing pin, common on a bunch of platforms.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Did you not see the post up-thread? The one where the HK slamfired? :):
    I missed it I guess. Can you please post it up? Is this a post or video of someone not trying to bash Hk's, or is it by someone reputable? Eh, either way, let me know where it is. Was it a USP, Hk45, P30, or was it a P7, vp70, Hk4...? Which one?

Top Bottom