• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm planning on going to the 1500 tomorrow morning, and hitting Bradis afterwards. I'll just go and play with some .45's and take it from there...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    In my opinion if all of your pistols are Glocks, buy something that isn't a Glock.

I love Glock as much as the next guy but variety is the spice of life. 1911, .22 target pistol, something.

<----- Or a nice revolver, like my avatar

I like the fact that my carry guns and house gun are all the same.

BUT, I had never even considered a revolver....

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I like the fact that my carry guns and house gun are all the same.

BUT, I had never even considered a revolver....

Fair enough, but is the new purchase another tool, or more of a range toy?

I never liked revolvers until I found my 6" GP100. Now I absolutely love it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Sorry guys I really want to like my M&P. It has the looks, it has the feel, it runs great. Stupid thing just will not shoot accurate enough for me.
    I'm not sure what qualifies as "accurate enough" but I don't have any problem cutting a ragged hole at 7 yards with either of my M&Ps, or a Glock 17 for that matter.. Which brings me to a conclusion I've come to.
    You CAN spend money that will improve your accuracy and there 4 avenues to do it. First a quality pistol, second a sighting system that you see well, be it a laser, red dot or your preferred sights, third would be a trigger that comes as close to replicating a 1911 as you can get and fourth, LOTS of ammunition.. I honestly believe that any pistol I own is probably capable of better accuracy that I am.
    Install a full Apex kit in that puppy and I guarantee your groups will shrink.
    Just my .02, probably where it doesn't belong. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm not sure what qualifies as "accurate enough" but I don't have any problem cutting a ragged hole at 7 yards with either of my M&Ps, or a Glock 17 for that matter.. Which brings me to a conclusion I've come to.
    You CAN spend money that will improve your accuracy and there 4 avenues to do it. First a quality pistol, second a sighting system that you see well, be it a laser, red dot or your preferred sights, third would be a trigger that comes as close to replicating a 1911 as you can get and fourth, LOTS of ammunition.. I honestly believe that any pistol I own is probably capable of better accuracy that I am.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

+ 1 Buy a high quality 1911 with great sights and put lots of rounds through it.

Or I could just sell the M&P and buy Walther PPQ

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Good encouragement for some of us. I have all except for the good trigger and lot's of rounds. I'm actually waiting until I get the trigger squared away before I start shooting it again.

That's if I ever stop shooting my 1911, lol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I used to have a G-30, and I found it to be less snappy than my G-27 or even my G- 23. What I didn't like about it was the thickness. 9/40 Glocks feel a bit chunky to me, but they are tolerable. The double-stack .45's are just too thick for my liking. I liked the way the G-36 felt in hand, but I've never fired one.

This is pretty much my experience with the Glock 30 & 21. Had a very early gen Glock 21 (my first Glock, over 20 years ago, and only sold it off a couple of years ago) and had a Glock 30 as well. Great guns, low recoil, almost no muzzle flip, as the slide just kind of moves in slow motion compared to the .40's and even 9's. They just don't carry near as well as the compact and subcompact 9's and .40's.

If 22 ammo was not like unicorns these days, I'd say get an Advantage Arms kit for one of your Glocks. I love mine.

Buy another 19, or wait for the much rumored single stack 9.

For something completely different, might check out a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. One of the few guns I regret selling.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know anything about 1911s. Would the Springfield range officer be as reliable as a Glock .45?

I have thousands and thousands of rounds through a Springfield 1911 with no failures. One of the original style Springfield Loadeds was my everything gun for years, carry, IDPA, home defense. I was the one gun guy.

I will also say the Glock 30 is the least offensive Glock I've ever shot. I'm not claiming any great familiarity with the Glock family, but of the hand full of them I've tried the 30 was the most fun and easiest to shoot well for me.

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    Find a Browning HP in .40 S&W. Send to Novaks, wait 3 months. They will call you. You will send them a fat check. They will send you an amazing pistol.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I haven't shot my M&P since I got the RO...

^^^This is why you should NOT buy a 1911, LM. You'll never be happy with even good triggers in the polymer guns again.

Or a nice revolver...
    ^^^This.

I'd buy one of these:
    170210_large.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So if a Springfield range officer costs $700, how does it compare to a Springfield that costs around $1000.

I don't know anything about 1911's, and I have just enough cash to buy a Glock, and some ammo to go with it.
    I'm willing to save a little more if I feel the 1911 is a better way to go.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Good encouragement for some of us. I have all except for the good trigger and lot's of rounds. I'm actually waiting until I get the trigger squared away before I start shooting it again.

That's if I ever stop shooting my 1911, lol.

Install the whole Apex setup and I think you will be amazed with the trigger you end up with and how close it is to a 1911 trigger. Add the reset assist mechanism if you want a little more feel of the reset (it still won't feel like a glock reset). It makes an unbelievable difference in the M&P.
    https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid54.html

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So if a Springfield range officer costs $700, how does it compare to a Springfield that costs around $1000.

I don't know anything about 1911's, and I have just enough cash to buy a Glock, and some ammo to go with it.

LM, I have owned 3 SA 1911's. Two of them were/are RO's(.45 & 9mm)

My loaded was a Champion model.(shorter barrel). In my experience they were two different pistols. My RO's felt much better in the hand and the trigger was night and day difference. My 9mm RO has such a sweet trigger than when other 1911 owners shoot it, the first thing they ask is: "has this had some trigger work done on it?" It hasn't. I don't have a ton of rounds through mine but after 1200 or so I had one case get stuck in the barrel(reload) and that was it. And like I mentioned earlier I use 10 round mags which internet fodder claims are problematic.

And here is a fun fact; I did my own type of "torture test" by shooting the pistol without cleaning until I got a malfunction. Well I just could not get that malfunction and being somewhat of a clean freak, I got tired of the black "ooze" and cleaned it.:)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    And here is a fun fact; I did my own type of "torture test" by shooting the pistol without cleaning until I got a malfunction. Well I just could not get that malfunction and being somewhat of a clean freak, I got tired of the black "ooze" and cleaned it.:)

I did this with my Sig 1911 recently. It lasted more than a year before carbon buildup ( I assume on the barrel hood) was keeping the gun from going back into battery when loading by hand. Sig makes a pretty tight gun I suppose. A light tap would put it back in business.

I took the barrel out and wiped it off, runs like a train again.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Paging ChurchMouse! Seriously I would PM ChurchMouse. He is a great guy and a Springfield fanboy. He has shared with me on multiple occasions that the RO is the best value. Basically the frame, slide and barrel are a good foundation, while the rest of the gun is bare bones. Start at the beginning and build it up the way you want.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, I went to Bradis today with my dad. He wanted to buy a Glock 26, and I wanted to look around.

After talking to shooter521, and based on his recommendation, I came home with a Glock 30s. I put down 100 rounds at home. And I absolutely love this gun. I believe once I get some Ameriglo Hackathorn sights for it, and a holster, it's going to become my new carry piece.

This gun wasn't even on my list, but I'm glad I bought it. It's friggin awesome!

Top Bottom