• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    thread-direction.jpg

Maybe it has wondered off course slightly, a little, well OK but it got Hi-jacked about a third of the way through. Most posts are still concerning home invasion and defense, well, sort of. Mine are, sort of.

kpetry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have several weapons stashed in various places through out the house. Granted I don't live in a mansion so it doesnt rtake a bunch of guns, but I am never more that 5 or 6 steps from a loaded gun.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    To say I am anti gun would be to say I have suggested people should not own guns. To say I am anti CC would be to say I have suggested people not carry concealed. Yet I have suggested neither at all. Coupled with the fact I am a gun owner who carrys concealed....makes it even less logical.

That makes the conclusion that I am "anti-gun" and "anti-cc" much stranger than anything I have suggested because there is at least some truth in me saying that "some (not all) people who feel the need to be strapped 24/7/365 are hair trigger nutjobs".

Does driving around all day with a spare tire, jack, spare windshield wiper fluid make you a car-nut. Or just prepared.

Does having a smoke alarm, fire extinguisher, emergency lighting in your home make you a fire-nut. Or just prepared.

Some people who walk around with a weapon may be nuts but I am just prepared. In the event i come across one of those nuts that decide to kick down my door i will be prepared and not wondering where my pistol is because hey its on the coffee table right where it always is, or hey its on the night stand where it always is, or hey its on my hip where it always is. Depending on where i am i know where my weapon is.

Here are a few home invasion stories that you may have missed:

Cops get arrest warrant in McKees Rocks home-invasion robbery Philly
    Four arrested in west side home invasion homicide - 13 WTHR Indianapolis Indy
    Trumbull man pleads guilty in Woodbridge home invasion case- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut New Haven CT
    Brothers accused of home invasion, mob action Bloomington In
    Sex assault charges in Moline home invasion - CBS4 - WHBF Quad Cities, IL-IA News Weather Sports Moline Il. This one involved rape. Do you want your wife,gf,daughter raped. I know i dont.
    Man pleads guilty in home invasion - Bowling Green Daily News: Local News Bowling Green Ky. Duct taped the man after spraying him with pepper spray. No thank you.

I think you see where this is going and i am done doing my homework for why i carry around my home.

If i lived here i wouldnt carry though:
    http://ihumanable.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/unicorn-rainbow.jpg

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    How combatively ready you want to be at home depends on factors such as personal inclination and risk assessment. It's like how much food you want to stash for emergencies: a few days for your basic Indiana flood to a year or two for end of the world. It's just not productive to attempt to change someone's view, especially by throwing unflattering adjectives around.

An exception is perhaps if someone can outline a method for quantifying risk, and after that it's a personal choice. Would you carry a gun in the house for a 1 in 10 chance of home invasion? Yes, I would, and most of you probably would, too. How about 1 in a billion? Most of us probably wouldn't. But where we draw the line in between these two extremes is up to the individual. This has to do with psychology, right?

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    An exception is perhaps if someone can outline a method for quantifying risk, and after that it's a personal choice. Would you carry a gun in the house for a 1 in 10 chance of home invasion? Yes, I would, and most of you probably would, too. How about 1 in a billion? Most of us probably wouldn't. But where we draw the line in between these two extremes is up to the individual. This has to do with psychology, right?

Well said. Now let the argument start on OC/CC of your stored food.:D

army bratt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    north side evansville
    here is my home defence posture, i have 2 female pitbulls sleeping on the sofa 24/7. they seem to sleep with one eye open because they hear leaves blowing across the yard. they are very loud and scarry! in addition to that i have a high def video out front (wide angle). the good stuff comes next which is my pillow gun, full battery mini 14 w/ 2 mags (61 rds). closet gun 1911 .45acp at the ready. and of course the kitchen gun, the most dangerous, the ole lady and her 12g be good stick!

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    Does driving around all day with a spare tire, jack, spare windshield wiper fluid make you a car-nut. Or just prepared.

Does having a smoke alarm, fire extinguisher, emergency lighting in your home make you a fire-nut. Or just prepared.

Some people who walk around with a weapon may be nuts but I am just prepared. In the event i come across one of those nuts that decide to kick down my door i will be prepared and not wondering where my pistol is because hey its on the coffee table right where it always is, or hey its on the night stand where it always is, or hey its on my hip where it always is. Depending on where i am i know where my weapon is.

Here are a few home invasion stories that you may have missed:

Cops get arrest warrant in McKees Rocks home-invasion robbery Philly
    Four arrested in west side home invasion homicide - 13 WTHR Indianapolis Indy
    Trumbull man pleads guilty in Woodbridge home invasion case- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut New Haven CT
    Brothers accused of home invasion, mob action Bloomington In
    Sex assault charges in Moline home invasion - CBS4 - WHBF Quad Cities, IL-IA News Weather Sports Moline Il. This one involved rape. Do you want your wife,gf,daughter raped. I know i dont.
    Man pleads guilty in home invasion - Bowling Green Daily News: Local News Bowling Green Ky. Duct taped the man after spraying him with pepper spray. No thank you.

I think you see where this is going and i am done doing my homework for why i carry around my home.

If i lived here i wouldnt carry though:
    http://ihumanable.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/unicorn-rainbow.jpg

roger that, no argument from me, to each his own, i am glad we all have that right :D

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The problem with that reply is that you imply i am somehow less than responsible by owning and having a loaded firearm in my home, but choosing not to "John Wayne" it around the house like I need it in less than 1 second.

Oh? And just HOW much time is needed to retrieve a weapon, so that a person isn't "John Wayne"ing it? 5 minutes? 2 minutes? 1 minute? Do you have to "UNLOCK" your gun vault? Run to another room? Account for family members?

In any of those scenarios, most likely you are dead. Or someone in your family is. When someone enters your home with the intent to rob or commit harm, they aren't sitting there with a stopwatch thinking "I have to give them time to prepare".

But as stated.....you have EVERY right to protect (or NOT protect) your family in any way you see fit. Nature has a way of weeding out the unfit specimens...it's called Darwinism.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The problem with that reply is that you imply i am somehow less than responsible by owning and having a loaded firearm in my home, but choosing not to "John Wayne" it around the house like I need it in less than 1 second. You imply that walking around the house strapped is "more responsible". To that I say absolutely not. It's unnecessary unless you live in an area that dictates it. .

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...96-home_invasion_last_night_in_vincennes.html

homer_simpson_doh_02.gif

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana

there is always a convenient example to support any bias, we all know that.....but for every one example of where carrying on one's person around their own home would have made a difference, I am certain I can show you a thousand people who live their entire life without a gun ever, and never have any need for one.....so you have to take extreme situations with a grain of salt. The odds are, now that that has happened to that guy once, it will never happen again because it never happens at all for most people. Just trying to be realistic here.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ...there is always a convenient example to support any bias, we all know that.....but for every one example of where carrying on one's person around their own home would have made a difference, I am certain I can show you a thousand people who live their entire life without a gun ever, and never have any need for one.....so you have to take extreme situations with a grain of salt.

Kind of like wearing a seatbelt right?
    ...for every one example of where wearing a seatbelt during a crash would have made a difference, I am certain I can show you a million people who live their entire life without using a seatbelt ever, and never have any need for one.....so you have to take extreme situations with a grain of salt.

:yesway: Flawless logic..... no really.

...... The odds are, now that that has happened to that guy once, it will never happen again because it never happens at all for most people. Just trying to be realistic here.
    willy-wonka-wilder.jpg

Last edited:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    The odds are, now that that has happened to that guy once, it will never happen again because it never happens at all for most people. Just trying to be realistic here.

Interesting. As a teenager, I was robbed at gun point while working at a gas station in small town Indiana by someone passing through (was from another state). A few years later (in a different state), a driver in the car next to me discharged his weapon in the direction of my moving vehicle. "Realistically", it can and does happen. Hopefully, when you are caught flat footed, you will fare as well as I did. Disbelief and denial will not save you. Please do not count on luck or "having time". Luck is indiscriminating (why wouldn't luck smile on the hostile as well?) and events occur in hyper drive, you have no time... Chance favors preparation and situational awareness. You can have that without being a fanatic.

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    i feel preparing your entire life for something that, by the odds, will almost never happen, is being a fanatic. ok, call it overcautious if it means you don't get your feelings hurt...whatever

people throw up things like health insurance....to equate the need for it with carrying....trying to make some sort of connection that somehow needing a firearm on your couch at home is as common as becoming terribly ill

it's just not. odds are nearly everyone will become extremely ill and need surgery or hospitalization at least once if not more in their lifetime, yet millions of people go their entire life never owning or needing a gun

hey, to each his own, i give a damn less, but my opinion on the matter is being prepared for a shootout by carrying 24/7/365 is relatively extreme when you calculate extremely small potential for exposure.

the odds of getting seriously injured in a car accident (with or without seatbelt) is much higher than being in a "need for a firearm" situation by itself, do you wear a seatbelt when on the couch in your house? because the odds of needing that are probably greater than ever needing a gun while on the same couch. You could much more likely contract a disease on that couch than have someone kick in your door, but how many of you would carry a gun 24hours on their person but not go to the doctor at all when ill?

all things in moderation, the likelihood of exposure should determine the level of preparedness. there's no way in hell i am living my entire life preparing for a lightning strike on my couch, because I would say the odds are about the same

Top Bottom