• finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

You are very correct.

Nice catch. Thanks.

I also have a serious question.... Lets say Your on your way to the hospital, Maybe your dad just had a heart attack, Your wife is in the middle of giving birth, whatever the case may be...Bam, you get stopped for speeding.
    Are you going to tell the officer your on your way to the hospital because your wife is giving birth? Or just let him take his time in his car, No rush, maybe chat you up, taking even more time....Ask for permits....more time....Sloooowly write you that ticket you deserve...more time...
    Because according to you guys its really none of his business. why would you tell him. Its not like maybe hes been in that situation, and may try to speed things up for you.
    Maybe he has your view? and by telling him, hes going to agree thats none of his business and ignore it?
    just curious.

In that case I would have no problem telling him what was going on.

In that case I'm running the conversation, not responding to his possible fishing.

It's also very pertinent to the matter at hand.

Unlike if I get stopped for a broken tail light & then being asked "where are you going", "do you have any weapons", "can I look in your trunk", "how big are your wifes breasts", etc. All of which are equally not pertinent to a broken tail light (or speeding or...).

I've also been asked if I had a good reason for driving so fast. I think that is a valid question. At least he's trying to figure out if you are in one of the situations like you described.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Seriously though...if they ask you something you don't want to answer...politely tell them you're not interested in answering. If they insist...sternly tell them, "no thanks". If they still insist...tell them to **** up a rope.

If they do something you think they shouldn't be doing...ask them about it. If they continue to do it...let them have at it. After it's said and done either file a complaint or seek a lawyer.

With some people nothing changes until you hit them in the pocket book.

It really is that simple.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    You absolutely DID say that you would give up your liberty. Allowing a cop to search your car, and even worse, your house just because they want to is certainly laying down your liberty. Also, it makes it much worse for the next guy who actually tries to assert his rights and protect his liberty. Now he's being "uppity" and trying to hide something.

If I voluntarily let them, I'm keeping my liberty. When they come back with a warrant, and I no longer have a choice in the matter, is when I give it away.

:scratch:

:laugh:

:popcorn:

WOW.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    IMO, the cop abused his authority.

He had no reason to treat you like he did. HE was the criminal in this case.

I would tell you to file a complaint but you know as well as I that it will lead absolutely nowhere. The cop did it for his safety, donchaknow.

:bs:

The cop did it because you dared to challenge his authority in an area where he had no authority. Where you are going, what you are doing, etc is none of his business & you called him on it. He had no choice (in his mind) than to put the boot down a little tighter on your neck. Just so we don't get to "uppity".

I guess they don't read new cases (http://www.ai.org/judiciary/opinions/pdf/06031001fsj.pdf) to cops that restrict their abilities to trample on citizens rights.

Agreed! Sounds like the perfect time to lock your car as you exit. If the LEO persists in his behavior, tell him (in as polite a manner as possible) to go **** himself.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I find it interesting that so many here jump to one conclusion, that the LEO was asking questions with the purpose of finding more or the assumption that he was guilty of something else. I've been pulled over many times for something I legitimately did wrong and in situations where the LEO involved could have just asked for my license and reg and written me. Instead, they were friendly, in what I [obviously mistakenly...] assumed was an attempt to figure out what kind of person I was. I am routinely friendly and respectful [holster sniffer/boot licker/whatever] to people, including LEOs who seem to be doing their jobs, and was in these cases. In almost every case, they chatted with me for a minute, apparently decided I was an ok, law-abiding guy who made a mistake, and let me go. In a couple cases, I got speeding tickets. OK, I was speeding. You have the right to refuse to answer their questions, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best course of action. My mother always taught me you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. My goal when pulled over is to leave without a ticket. I have found that, for me, that's best accomplished by not being a prick. YMMV.

I generally chat with the officer when I get pulled over, at least enough that I have a feeling of his demeanor. However the moment I feel I am being fished or led towards any kinda hassle I am done with small talk. I can tell rather or not I need to be on the defensive. If the officer does not ask me about any weapons in the vehicle I never volunteer that information. Mostly because it just saves time and hassle and makes things move along quickly and smoothly. I really dont want to deal with the extra 15 or 20 minuets its going to take for him to disarm me and secure my weapons for his own protection. When asked if there are any weapons in the vehicle 99.999% of the time I am going to answer the officer truthfully. However I have (one time)experienced an encounter where after my initial judgement of the officers frame of mind I felt it was prudent to withhold that information. I am not an antagonist of the police. I know and understand and appreciate the sacrifice police officers make every day in going to work to uphold the peace and to protect the public, and I commend and thank them for their efforts. I also understand human nature and know how power corrupts.

Watch the show Cops ladies of Broward county. They have a few really hot cop chicks out on the streets bustin small time dealers and addicts etc. It makes for good TV but if you know your rights and watch this show as well as Campus PD, these officers are violating the rights of these people in a lot of instances. They cut people breaks but they do so by not violating their rights. Its like ok I am going to cut you some slack... I am not going to violate your rights and put you in a situation you'll never be able to fight your way out of.. All the while making it clear that yea ya know what I could violate your rights but you got **** to say about it because what it will cost you to fight what I say you could never in a million years afford, so you may as well submit.... Submit.. I have a problem with that word when I haven't really done anything wrong. If I am wrong I am wrong and I will never do anything but ask for forgiveness and take responsibility for my misgiving. That is way different from being conjugated into submission...

This information may or may not be true I dont know.

How everyday citizens can survive a police encounter.. | Human Rights Coalition

How everyday citizens can survive a police encounter..

In these days of police encounters and suspious acts of brutality and even death. A citizen needs to be on point with their rights especially when faced with dealing with the police. Yes, it will be scarey yet, if you can walk away from the experience with your freedom and physical body inact, you have been sucessful in dealing with that police encounter. That is the main desire you want!

There is no law that says you have to open your door to a police officer.
    If a police officer comes knocking on your door, simply go to the door and ask what they want. But tell them under no circumstances that you will open the door to speak to them!
    If the Police Knock at Your Home-You Don't Have to Open the Door!
    If the police knock and ask to enter your home, you DON'T have to open the door unless they have a warrant signed by a judge. Such an invitation not only gives the police officer the opportunity to look around for clues to your lifestyle, friends, reading material, etc; but also tends to prolong the conversation.
    There is no law that says you have to open your door to a police officer. Don't open your door with the chain-lock on either, the police can shove their way in. Police are known to kick in doors. Simply shout "I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY!"
    If the police do have a search warrant, ask to see it and make sure that it is signed, has the correct date, correct address, and apartment number, ect.
    * In some emergency situations (like when a person is screaming for help inside, or when the police are chasing someone) officers are allowed to enter and search your home without a warrant.
    NEVER agree to go to the police station for questioning. Simply say, "I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY."

What To Do If A Police Officer Stops You
    To stop you a police officer must have a specific reason to suspect your involvement in a specific crime and should be able to tell you the reason. This is known as reasonable suspicion. Most times you are probably getting pulled over for a traffic violation such as speeding or maybe a tail light is out. Although the stop may seem wrong or unfair, the police believe they have a reason to stop you
    Your Rights During a Police Encounter. Rules you should know to protect yourself from the police:
    Rule #1 - Never talk to a police officer. Keep your mouth shut! (You never have to answer any questions a police officer may ask, except for your name, address and date of birth.)
    Rule #2 - Never talk to a police officer. Keep your mouth shut! (How can you be charged with something if you haven't said anything?) Remember anything you say or do can be used against you.
    Rule #3 - "Am I Free to Go?" As soon as a police officer ask you a question, ask the police officer, "Am I Free to Go?" If you are detained or arrested by a police officer, tell them that you are going to remain silent and that you would like to see a lawyer.
    Rule #4 - Safety. Never bad-mouth a police officer. Stay calm and in control of your words, body language and your emotions. Always keep your hands where the police officer can see them. Don't run away and never touch a police officer!
    Rule #5 - Refuse to Consent to Searches. Just say NO to searches! Remember if the police didn't need your permission, they wouldn't be asking you. Never give permission to a police officer to search you, your car or your home. If a police officer does search you, don't resist!
    Rule #6 - Ask for a Supervisor. If all else fails and you feel the police officer is abusing your rights, ask him to call his "supervisor" to your location.
    Traffic Stops
    You usually will be required to show the usual documentation, such as your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. You don't have to open your window more than a crack to hand it out.
    On traffic stops the police usually will ask you "personal" questions such as, where are you going, where have you been, who did you see, how long did you visit, ect. At that point it's the perfect time to exercise your RIGHTS by asking the police officer, "AM I FREE TO GO?" There is NO legal requirement that citizens provide information about their comings and goings to police officers! Another words it's none of the police officers damn business! If you are ordered out of your car, lock the door behind you.
    Remember that the officer is not trying to be your buddy and become a new friend, they are on a "fishing expedition" to find something against you! They have nothing criminal on you, so they're looking for anything while they have you pulled over.
    A good time to ask "AM I FREE TO GO," is after the cop has given you a "warning" or a "ticket" and you have signed it. Once you have signed that ticket the traffic stop is legally over with, so says the Supreme Court. Now if you want to stand around and shoot the breeze with the officer or answer his questions, that is up to you. Just remember you don't have to! After you sign the ticket ask, "AM I FREE TO GO?"
    For more information on your "Rights" click on this link: http://www.policecrimes.com/police.html

WHAT IF I AM UNDER 18? KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! Who can make me answer questions? No one can! Many adults believe they have the right to require a minor to answer questions, they're wrong!
    * Police and probation officers DON'T have the legal right to order minors to answer questions.
    * Teachers and school officials DON'T have the legal right to order a student to answer questions.
    * Parents DON'T have the legal right to order their kid to answer questions.
    Children under the age of 18 have rights just like an adult. You are protected by the Constitution of the United States. Never let anyone "pressure" you into answering any question that you don't want to answer! Simply say you will not answer, until you have a lawyer.
    Your Rights At School:
    Public school students have the First Amendment right to politically organize at school by passing out leaflets, holding meetings, publishing independent newspapers, putting up posters, etc., just so long as those activities do not disrupt classes or promote drug use. Students can be suspended or expelled from school only if they violate the law or disrupt school activities. You have the right to a hearing, with your parents and an attorney present, before being suspended or expelled.
    Students can have their backpacks and lockers searched by school officials at school if they have "reasonable suspicion" that you are involved in criminal activity, carrying drugs, weapons, etc. Reasonable suspicion means they have to have specific reasons to justify their search, but in reality that offers you minimal protections. Do not consent to the police or school officials searching your property, but do not physically resist or you may face criminal charges.
    Students can now be stopped and questioned by school officials at school even without reasonable suspicion, but not for reasons that are harassing or discriminatory. In other words, if you are not in class you can be stopped and questioned as to where you are going and why, but they should not stop and question you for engaging in legally protected political activity or because of your ethnicity or religion.

Car Searches And Body Searches Remember they wouldn't ask you if they didn't need your permission!
    A police officers swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, not to violate your rights against unreasonable search and seizure. If a cop ask or tries to search you, your home or your car, say repeatedly "I DON'T CONSENT TO THIS SEARCH !"
    "The right to be free from unreasonable searches is one of our most precious First Liberties"
    You DON'T have to give consent to a law enforcement officer to search your vehicle or home. While you DON'T have to consent, bear in mind that the expectation of privacy in a car is less than the expectation of privacy in your home. Based in part on the lessened expectation of privacy in a car, law enforcement officers are permitted to conduct a warrantless search of a car if the officer has probable cause. "In most cases the police officer will lie and make up a probable cause."
    Just for being stopped for a traffic violation should not allow the officer to search your car; however, if the officer saw you throw an empty beer can out the window, that may be sufficient probable cause to search your car. If the officer "thinks" he smells marijuana as he approaches the car, he then may use that as probable cause to search you car.
    Police Pat Downs...
    The law allows police to pat down your outer clothing for the protection of the officer if you're being detained. The officer may only pat your outer clothing to see if you have any weapons. If the police feel something that could be a weapon, then the police can go into your pockets and search. Otherwise a police officer CAN'T go through your pockets or make you empty your pockets unless you are under arrest.
    To protect yourself, make it clear that you "don't consent to a search" and ask why they are searching you. Remember the reason they give you. If they claim to have a warrant, ask to see it. Whether or not they have a warrant, you can protect your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS by making it clear that you do not consent to a search.
    You might be wondering, don't police tell me that I have the right not to be searched? After all when a suspect is arrested, he is told before interrogation takes place that he has the right to remain silent.
    The Supreme Court has said NO. According to the Court, the fact that a person might not know he has the right to refuse a search is merely one factor in the determination of whether his consent is voluntary. The Court has reasoned that the police do not need to give warnings -- to eliminate any doubt about the suspect's knowledge of her rights -- because warnings might detract from the informality of an otherwise "friendly" interaction between "civilians and the police." So you might ask yourself, is someone that would use something against you really a "friend?"
    For more information on your "Rights" click on this link:
    http://www.policecrimes.com/police.htmlThis video is GREAT! Watch and learn.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    CHEFCOOK got pulled over for failure to stop at a marked intersection, then got an attitude with a leo and mouthed off about his two assault pistols.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    What is an assault pistol?
    You can purchase them the same place as these...

images

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    He doesn't know where your going or what your doing out, For all he knows you just robbed someone, you haven't proved him otherwise yet.

Exactly. He doesn't know, that is why he has no reason to treat a person like they are doing something wrong. As soon as he finds out you have a firearm, his next questions should be "Do you have a license, and can I please see it?" After the license is produced, there should be no further discussion about the gun.

Where I am going is none of his business, and I shouldn't have to PROVE that I am NOT a criminal. I am supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    They are not asking just because they want to talk. They are asking for the simple fact that they want to see if you may be a criminal.

They are asking because they want to see HOW you answer. They want to see if you stutter or get all nervous. This is a tactic like anything else."

Top Bottom