IMPD proposes the hiring of 80 more police officers...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would assume statistics along those lines were utilized in the conclusion that 2.5 officers per 1000 residents was a desirable ratio.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is there research anywhere that shows a correlation between the number of officers and the crime rate?

Sure. However its far from a simple correlation. Population density, age of population, education levels of the community, economic standing of the community, etc. etc. etc. Its a pretty darned complicated thing to measure due to the incredible amount of variables. My understanding of statistics and economics peters out well before I truly understand most of the studies.

More officers does simply correlate to lower wait times for services, however. Reduced response times to alarms, reduced wait times for traffic crash response, etc.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A few months ago I heard something about pulling officers off of desk duty to help fill out the patrol ranks. It sounds like there is a real need for more officers on the street. How is 80 new guys going to be enough?

I have no delusions that I could do this job full-time, but I have often flirted with the idea of applying for the reserves. I always talk myself out of it, on account of my age (38), my semi-athletic physique, and my... (*ahem*) colorful past.

From the sounds of it, they might actually be able to use me.

Do they still even have a reserve program?

-Paul

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    10 over in a 30 speed zone should get you a ticket! And, I'd be willing to bet those IMPD officers on 465 were working OT paid for by a federal grant. It's really simple. Don't speed!

Haha yeah like those areas where I live in Hamilton County that have the speed limit set intentionally low for the sole purpose of writing speeding tickets. Ever drive down 116th street between Cumberland and Olio on the 4 lane divided road and the speed limit is 40? Or drive out of my neighborhood on the way to drop the kids off at school and there sits a McCordsville cop shooting radar on the very edge of his jurisdiction near 96th and Carroll Road at 6:30AM.

Yeah, that's all about public safety. Sure.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Ask Anthony Kiedis
    I must be old/lame/under a rock, because I don't get the reference....

Correction. 1000 will quit or retire in the time it takes to fire 1 officer. Isn't Bisard still employed?
    Bissard is on unpaid suspension pending termination. It does take some time to actually fire an officer because of merit law, but that doesn't mean that he/she still receives pay or benefits.

A few months ago I heard something about pulling officers off of desk duty to help fill out the patrol ranks. It sounds like there is a real need for more officers on the street. How is 80 new guys going to be enough?

I have no delusions that I could do this job full-time, but I have often flirted with the idea of applying for the reserves. I always talk myself out of it, on account of my age (38), my semi-athletic physique, and my... (*ahem*) colorful past.

From the sounds of it, they might actually be able to use me.

Do they still even have a reserve program?

-Paul
    They have pulled some officers out of non-patrol duties and chucked them back out on the streets. You can only pull so many folks out of "inside" jobs before there aren't enough of them left to adequately perform those duties. That's basically where we are at now. The entire department is short staffed, not just the patrol division.
    There is still a reserve program. I admittedly don't know much about it and I'm sure they haven't hired any for quite a while. I have no idea if there are plans to hire more any time soon.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Haha yeah like those areas where I live in Hamilton County that have the speed limit set intentionally low for the sole purpose of writing speeding tickets. Ever drive down 116th street between Cumberland and Olio on the 4 lane divided road and the speed limit is 40? Or drive out of my neighborhood on the way to drop the kids off at school and there sits a McCordsville cop shooting radar on the very edge of his jurisdiction near 96th and Carroll Road at 6:30AM.

Yeah, that's all about public safety. Sure.

That's a myth. Hamilton Co, in general, has grown so rapidly that speed limits haven'y kept up with growth (ie expanding roadways). Most officers in the county recognize this and adjust their criteria to what makes sense.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I must be old/lame/under a rock, because I don't get the reference....

Bissard is on unpaid suspension pending termination. It does take some time to actually fire an officer because of merit law, but that doesn't mean that he/she still receives pay or benefits.

They have pulled some officers out of non-patrol duties and chucked them back out on the streets. You can only pull so many folks out of "inside" jobs before there aren't enough of them left to adequately perform those duties. That's basically where we are at now. The entire department is short staffed, not just the patrol division.
    There is still a reserve program. I admittedly don't know much about it and I'm sure they haven't hired any for quite a while. I have no idea if there are plans to hire more any time soon.

I understand he's not getting paid. Just laughing at the notion of officers getting fired and it actually having an impact on the total number of officers.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    That's a myth. Hamilton Co, in general, has grown so rapidly that speed limits haven'y kept up with growth (ie expanding roadways). Most officers in the county recognize this and adjust their criteria to what makes sense.

LOL so that's why they sit on 116th and shoot laser and radar, and have their motorcycle cops hiding around every corner of newly annexed Geist...because the speed limits haven't kept up with the 4 lane roads...got it. :laugh:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    LOL so that's why they sit on 116th and shoot laser and radar, and have their motorcycle cops hiding around every corner of newly annexed Geist...because the speed limits haven't kept up with the 4 lane roads...got it. :laugh:

I'm not seeing how that disproves any of what I stated, unless you are asserting that the long flat straight strecth of road, that is 116th St, within the areas you stated is immune to people driving well above the posted speed limit. Here, you can prove me wrong, how many times have you been stopped/ticketed along that span, and how fast above the limit were you going?

SandyConner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Yorktown
    Proposed IMPD budget calls for 80 more officers on streets - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I have mixed feelings about this. Will these proposed 80 more police officers be fighting real crime or handing over $200 tickets to people that are driving 10mph above the speed limit? Indianapolis has so much crime and I feel that the need for more police officiers may be real, but I would like to know where exactly they'll be placed. Anyone else?

I do not have mixed feelings about this..... it is an absolute waste of taxpayer funds.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom