• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I went yesterday with my Dad and Brother in Law. It was the first 1500 I'd been to in 5 years, and the first in 15 years with my Dad. That part of the show was worth every penny we spent. Having said all that, I didn't see any deal there I couldn't get at my favorite gun store. My first impression was they should rename it to the INDY AR SHOW. In years past there were all types of guns represented equally, but I didn't see that yesterday. I was looking for some custom parts for my Colt Commander and didn't see anything there. Years ago you could find just about any part you wanted for a 1911/1991. The Glock guys were represented nicely and I picked up something for my Glock. I asked a few questions at the Glock tables and one guy seemed to be annoyed at the fact that I even asked such a question (I was looking for a replacement trigger spring). I didn't see the INGO table and I wish I would have, sure would like to meet some of the people that put this site together. Since I wasn't going to buy a gun yesterday I didn't have a lot of contact with dealers but when I did they were nice and answered the few questions I had. In short, if my Dad asks if I want to go to the next one I most likely will because going to a gun show with my Dad is like a history lesson and it is something that we both have had in common for the last 25 years. -Jason

Big +1 and :yesway: igd2! THIS is what the 1500 looks like to me, though I was never fortunate enough to have gone with my dad. Being a WWII vet, I'm sure it would have been an education!

In the age of the Interwebz, I think the gun show should be an event where a large bunch of like-minded people freely congregate to exercise their rights as United States citizens. Can you get it cheaper somewhere else? OF COURSE YOU CAN! But that's not why I go anymore. I go to see and coonfinger stuff I've not seen before ever or only in pictures. I go because it, the Gun Show, still exists in this politically volatile world. I take my kids so they can see first hand what it's like to have the freedom to trade, buy & sell firearms. I don't want them to become adults and never know what that looked and felt like.

That is all. Carry on. :patriot:

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    $5 for parking
    + $10 for admission
    $15!

That's a bit of a ding to the wallet just to even browse around! I'd just as soon put that $15 towards a box of 9mm and head to the range that day.

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Crowd was down. Ammo prices seem to be improving. Hope October show will have a better selection of weapons.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That's a bit of a ding to the wallet just to even browse around! I'd just as soon put that $15 towards a box of 9mm and head to the range that day.

Look at it like this, how much would it cost in gasoline to drive to browse around the different dealers gathered at the 1500 if there was no show?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    A couple comments on what I read skimming this thread from a dealers prespective.

We have to asentertainment know nothing and start from the basics when educating customers. We normally dont know you from Adam, so we have to gauge your knowledge level as we go.

Pricing is a double edge sword. Some folks WILL NOT buy for any reason if dont make them feel like they won negotiating. So do you put the tag high and haggle your way down to accommodate the customer? If you do that then other folks will walk by complaining about the price.

If you start at internet prices but wont budge you loose sales by not making the customer feel like they are the worlds best haggles and you lose sales.

Bottom line is there is absolutely no blanket answer. The only way to make folks happy is to look in your crystal ball, see what kind of person they are, and adjust the prices on every price tag, in the 5 seconds you see them turn to head to your booth.

Vendors dont getva penny of you addmission money. You have to look at admission and parking as entertainment price alone or dont bother going. You dont go to the movies and expect the cost of the ticket to come off of popcorn prices do you? And that money all goes to the movie theater.

I haven't been able to attend the 1500 for many years. I have been to local shows for the last couple years and have negotiated what I considered to be good deals, even though they are few and far between. I have bought several guns locally from ZX guns, but never at a show. I have tried to get them to lower their price at their shop , but they let me know they already have their best price marked. After shopping around before buying from them I have to agree that they do have great prices. When I read through this post I noticed that several people purchased from them. I have also seen in the past updates from shows that they had a long line. The Manager at the Goshen store told me that they have had a two hour wait for customers to get the background check completed. What ever sales model ZX is using seems to be working. They are growing and gaining market share.

Alan you sell a great product at a great price. The tire kicker that walked away lost out on a great deal and will more than likely be kicking himself later for it. I have not increased my rifle collection in the last couple years, as I have been buying mostly pistols. When I do decide on what long distance rifle that I want, I will be buying the optic from you.

I have been in sales for over twenty years and have realized that I can't sell everyone. I also realized that I want my competitors to have the guy that wants to complain for thirty minutes and then leave. He will be the guy to complain after the sell as well. Let him suck up your competitors resources. A customer will get over a high price faster and easier than a bad product or service. Your prices are extremely competitive and your products are top notch, so you are in a great position.

My suggestion is put your best price on it and let the complainers walk.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    My brother and I went Sunday afternoon. I think we walked in the doors a little before 1PM, and were surprised by the crowd. There were a lot more people there than I anticipated. I picked up some Rem Golden Sabres. Brother picked up some tacticool accessories for his AR.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have been in sales for over twenty years and have realized that I can't sell everyone. I also realized that I want my competitors to have the guy that wants to complain for thirty minutes and then leave. He will be the guy to complain after the sell as well. Let him suck up your competitors resources. A customer will get over a high price faster and easier than a bad product or service. Your prices are extremely competitive and your products are top notch, so you are in a great position.

My suggestion is put your best price on it and let the complainers walk.

Another way to put this is that you can fire customers. Most are okay, but some simply aren't worth the effort.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Went on Saturday. Arrived around 2 PM after a quick trip to Papa Roux for lunch :)

Walked the show completely about 2x and it did seem empty both from a vendor standpoint (lots of open tables), and a people standpoint.

I go, knowing I probably won't be buying any firearms, or ammo, unless I stumble on a smoking deal, which has only happened once or twice in the last 10 years. I go to look for parts or pieces I need for projects. Still I didn't buy anything except an east german ak-74 mag (good deal). Best part of the show was stopping at the INGO booth and talking with 'lovemywoods' for a bit. That's always a pleasure.

on the way home I stopped by the Tow Yard brewery and filled up a couple of growlers with some Hookup. :)

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    On Sunday, about an hour before the show was supposed to close, I went back to a dealers table to buy a $1500 rifle I had looked at earlier in the day. He was already packing up, and had already put the rifle in his truck. He couldn't be bothered to retrieve it for my $1500, so he lost the sale. I really don't understand people sometimes.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    On Sunday, about an hour before the show was supposed to close, I went back to a dealers table to buy a $1500 rifle I had looked at earlier in the day. He was already packing up, and had already put the rifle in his truck. He couldn't be bothered to retrieve it for my $1500, so he lost the sale. I really don't understand people sometimes.

I mean no disrespect HK, but I bet he said the same thing that you did. You had an opportunity earlier and passed it up.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Another way to put this is that you can fire customers. Most are okay, but some simply aren't worth the effort.

I have fired several customers in the last 2 years and manage to stay busy.
    Yep I enjoyed being a business owner for that very reason. I had no problem telling them where to step off if they annoyed me an weren't going to buy anyways or even if they were goin to buy but where wastes of oxygen.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yep I enjoyed being a business owner for that very reason. I had no problem telling them where to step off if they annoyed me an weren't going to buy anyways or even if they were goin to buy but where wastes of oxygen.

I am with you there TT

I have been the owner of several businesses. I currently own one and work full time as a Regional Sales Mgr right now. I have and will walk away from rude and disrespecting people.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I mean no disrespect HK, but I bet he said the same thing that you did. You had an opportunity earlier and passed it up.

OK, disrespect INTENDED, I guess there are TWO in every crowd. Why side with someone who chose to close too early, and was too lazy to walk to hs truck? Just because you can?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As a vendor despite the holiday weekend we still had a great show...

Also if you are wearing INGO swag your most likely going to be ignored until you initiate the conversation. In most of my encounters with guy's wearing INGO gear they have been rude or they are quick to leave when asked what there username is.

Thank you to everyone else who helps support small business.

Interesting. Which vendor are you?

Top Bottom