Is Taurus getting their poop in a group?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side
    In the past, and I mean over 15 years and more ago, I have had various unsatisfactory interactions with Taurus. I have had the opportunity to shoot, and to own several of their products over the years on a very limited basis. Recently I've purchased a couple of Taurus' newer products and been very impressed with the quality and function. Last week I had a need to deal with Customer Service over an issue with a TX22 pistol and they took care of me right away on the first call. I spoke with a very pleasant lady from Georgia which is the new Home of Taurus in the USA. Things are looking up product and service wise with my current experiences. I also think that their 856 Defender Revolver is a epic value in a 6 shot wheel gun. Also the triggers, ergonomics, and accuracy of the TX series are exceptional too.

It's really nice to see an old company learn new tricks. Am I wrong?

And them making an alloy revolver that matches my truck...well... taurus BOB.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've recently bought two new Taurus pistols. Got a TX22 and a G2C. The TX22 works just fine, but honestly I'm thinking about selling it just because it feels "cheap" to me. That's just a personal preference though, and not a reflection on the pistol, which worked flawlessly. Just feels more like a kid's toy than a real pistol.

I had an issue with the G2C trigger though, which I've already described in another thread, where it just wouldn't fire. Apparently it's a known issue. After fiddling with it, it seems to be working now, but I'm going to have to get it to the range again and put at least 100-200 rounds through it without failure for me to even begin to trust it.

I've never tried one of their revolvers, so I can't speak to that.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    I had one of their 45 compacts 15 years ago, never had an issue except I personally couldn’t hit anything. Had one of their 38 snubby’s for years, never had a problem

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yes, they have progressed by leaps and bounds. Still far from premium quality but worlds better than they were 20-30 years ago.

Most 22 pistols feel like toys.

The G2c has a wonky trigger. On mine the trigger dingus had a stiffer spring than the trigger. Even in DA mode I'd pull the trigger and the dingus hit the safety notch first, pull harder to collapse the dingus, then the trigger gave a bit as it dropped to just the trigger weight, then hit the meh wall, then fires. Took it apart and tweaked it (undercut the "spring" part of the dingus back to reduce the springrate) and it's much better. The G3 and G4 have each been progressively better....ish. Friend has the G4 and what they did to make a DA/SA with the same pull weight on both sears is they added springs and travel to the SA to give it the same pull as the DA. All the complexity of DA/SA without the nice SA. hey wait a sec...

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side
    Yes, they have progressed by leaps and bounds. Still far from premium quality but worlds better than they were 20-30 years ago.

Most 22 pistols feel like toys.

The G2c has a wonky trigger. On mine the trigger dingus had a stiffer spring than the trigger. Even in DA mode I'd pull the trigger and the dingus hit the safety notch first, pull harder to collapse the dingus, then the trigger gave a bit as it dropped to just the trigger weight, then hit the meh wall, then fires. Took it apart and tweaked it (undercut the "spring" part of the dingus back to reduce the springrate) and it's much better. The G3 and G4 have each been progressively better....ish. Friend has the G4 and what they did to make a DA/SA with the same pull weight on both sears is they added springs and travel to the SA to give it the same pull as the DA. All the complexity of DA/SA without the nice SA. hey wait a sec...
    I really like the trigger on the TX22’s I replaced the one on the Competition version with a trigger from TandemKross and really enjoy shooting it. For such inexpensive pistols they sure provide a ton of fun.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I haven't had a single hiccup with my G2C. Trigger has been great and it's fed everything I've put through it. Considering I paid less than $200 for it new out the door, I'd call it a grand slam. Sorry to hear others have had issues.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    My dad had a Taurus 1911, the ambi thumb safety came off, at the time I was working at a gun shop, dad came in and bought a few parts to fix it himself, the parts didn’t fit, so dad put it away and said I’ll try again later, we’ll before that happened (fixing it) he passed.

So I picked it up along with all his other guns, so I contacted Taurus, they sent me a return authorization, and I shipped it back, the fixed it and returned it to me, my nephew asked if he could have it, he was with dad when he bought it, so I gave it too him, we’ll the safety fell off again, I contacted Taurus again, I made a suggestion of the part that should have been replaced, she said she’d pass the information along, it came back and there hasn’t been an issue since.

TL:DR took 2 times but Taurus fixed it right (and my other 3 haven’t had an issue!)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My dad had a Taurus 1911, the ambi thumb safety came off, at the time I was working at a gun shop, dad came in and bought a few parts to fix it himself, the parts didn’t fit, so dad put it away and said I’ll try again later, we’ll before that happened (fixing it) he passed.

So I picked it up along with all his other guns, so I contacted Taurus, they sent me a return authorization, and I shipped it back, the fixed it and returned it to me, my nephew asked if he could have it, he was with dad when he bought it, so I gave it too him, we’ll the safety fell off again, I contacted Taurus again, I made a suggestion of the part that should have been replaced, she said she’d pass the information along, it came back and there hasn’t been an issue since.

TL:DR took 2 times but Taurus fixed it right (and my other 3 haven’t had an issue!)

"But it has a lifetime warranty"

Yep, I've heard variations that story more than a few times. Takes a few trips home under warranty to get a decently reliable gun. Warranty won't help if it doesn't go bang that one time you need it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    "But it has a lifetime warranty"

Yep, I've heard variations that story more than a few times. Takes a few trips home under warranty to get a decently reliable gun. Warranty won't help if it doesn't go bang that one time you need it.

Ok To be honest the gun was used when he bought it, no telling what had happened to it before! It was from a pawn shop, dad had it for a while, so I’m not faulting Taurus at all, and since it’s been back it’s run like a top!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I bought a Taurus PT-92 back in 1985 and it is a tack driver. I've had not one issue with this gun and it has been shot A LOT.
    I have a PT-99 from about 1991 or so that I bought new (same gun as 92, but with adjustable sights). I don't shoot it really these days, but never an issue with it either over the years

I currently own a TX-22 as well and really like that gun. True double stack, striker fired, 22LR.

Only owned one other Taurus and that was a PT-945 many years ago, and sold it off. It worked fine, but sold it off to fund something else.

Top Bottom