Is Taurus getting their poop in a group?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Every company has issues. HK makes a lemon now and again (assuming they load the magazines in the right direction). Even Smith and Wesson has a number of questionable years for quality.

Any 22 plastic pistol is going to feel cheap. That's why the Ruger 22/45 series and Browning Buckmarks sell so well. More expensive but higher quality. I have a number of Taurus revolvers from 22cal to 44 Mag and I've never once had an issue with any of them. The triggers could be better, but functionally they're 100%.

I also have two Taurus 992 convertables. Do they shoot as well as my Smith 617? Yes. Do they feel the same? Not even close, but I bought two for less than the price of one new Smith.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    We can only hope that the current crop of Taurus guns is much better than the old. They do seem to have a couple of winners these days. The real telling factor, will be if their customer service is good and they actually fix guns sent in for warranty repair. They have failed miserably in the past, as far as, product quality and customer service/ warranty repair. I'll see whether they can walk the walk these days. As far as revolver quality, I always felt like Charter Arms was head and shoulders above Taurus in both quality and service, when considering more reasonably priced products AND the CA revolvers are made in the good ole USA!

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Well this tx22 talk made me get one again. Hope to shoot it today but not sure there is a better non metal target 22 out there. Want to shoot the Fn502 but the reviews haven’t impressed me especially for the price.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Well this tx22 talk made me get one again. Hope to shoot it today but not sure there is a better non metal target 22 out there. Want to shoot the Fn502 but the reviews haven’t impressed me especially for the price.
    The S&W M&P .22 Pistol is pretty nice. I have the compact model.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    My first handgun purchase was a new Taurus model 617 6-shot blued snub-nose .357Mag revolver. Worked great, shot great, looked great, and I regret selling it way back when.

Had a Taurus .380acp (PT380?), not the weird "curve" or "Spectrum" pistols. Worked well for a couple years, slowly started getting less reliable after that. Had a much lighter/better trigger than what Ruger & Keltec had.

My dad had one of their PT1911s. He loved it, but it wasn't super reliable.

Later on I had one of their j-frame copies in 38spl, titanium or aluminum framed, with a crimson laser grip. Worked great, shot great, carried great in the pocket or on the ankle. Ended up letting my mom have it. She can shoot it, but I believe it's probably buried somewhere, inundated with dust.

My wife bought one of their flip-up barrel .22LR Beretta copy pistols. It was ok (typical 22 un-reliability), but the plastic grip panels kept cracking on us.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Bought a Taurus GX4 just yesterday and put 50 rounds through it....performed flawlessly and shot as well (if not better) than my Hellcat...has interchangeable backstraps and very concealable...Was right on point of aim far as I can tell....very happy with it so far....

Attachments

• GX4.JPG
      GX4.JPG
      121.7 KB · Views: 5

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Had a little .380, it jammed every other round.

Had a couple 9's and 45's and other than not being able to hit in the same area twice, they atleast functioned and went bang.

crosse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    PNW
    My first experiences with taurus were just horrible. I had a 9mm 1911 that would failure to feed, failure to extract, it had the safety fall out. Taurus said since I got it 2nd hand, I had to pay for shipping both ways to get it fixed. It was just horrid. Not sure what got me willing to try them again but my G3 got thru 300 flawless rounds. regained my trust so I got the G3C Toro and I put a Holosun 507 on it. 200 rounds later, I was convinced. I still will put another 300 before I'll carry the G3C but so far so good. They're better.

Tigerpaw07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2019
    Decatur
    I have a Taurus .38 special for years. I just picked up the G3C and I am really happy with it. It’s not the Kimber Ultra Carry 2 that I used to have but it’s a excellent budget gun and so far it’s been quite reliable.
    I‘ve recently seen the stainless steel version in the last picture. Shopping around a bit and this version can be had for $268! That comes with 3 - 12 RD Magazines.

Attachments

• 55CA7DDC-FC75-47E1-8E9E-B8370D58B552.jpeg
      55CA7DDC-FC75-47E1-8E9E-B8370D58B552.jpeg
      467.5 KB · Views: 8
    • B9F26ADE-EEE1-4B5F-BA12-1AFCE8EF173E.jpeg
      B9F26ADE-EEE1-4B5F-BA12-1AFCE8EF173E.jpeg
      258.9 KB · Views: 8
    • 3BDAA7F7-F302-4F3F-ABED-7F61B982C40A.png
      3BDAA7F7-F302-4F3F-ABED-7F61B982C40A.png
      1.3 MB · Views: 8
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I have a Taurus G2C that's been my EDC for almost a year now, and I've got no complaints about it. The trigger on it is a bit weird, but once I got used to it I actually liked it quite a bit. The biggest thing about both the G2C and G3C, of course, is just the incredibly low price. I think I saw Rural King running a sale on the G3C for $219 a couple weeks ago. Right now I don't know if you can beat the pistol for that price.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Bought a Taurus GX4 just yesterday and put 50 rounds through it....performed flawlessly and shot as well (if not better) than my Hellcat...has interchangeable backstraps and very concealable...Was right on point of aim far as I can tell....very happy with it so far....
    This seems to be a nice new offering from them. Handled one and it felt pretty nice.
    Sounds like it's a winner.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Took my new to me tx22 to range yesterday. More detailed post in the tx22 specific thread but it performed flawlessly and held a great group.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I have a Taurus G2C that's been my EDC for almost a year now, and I've got no complaints about it. The trigger on it is a bit weird, but once I got used to it I actually liked it quite a bit. The biggest thing about both the G2C and G3C, of course, is just the incredibly low price. I think I saw Rural King running a sale on the G3C for $219 a couple weeks ago. Right now I don't know if you can beat the pistol for that price.
    Shortly here I'm going to pick up a G2C. I can get it for 250.00 at one of our local gun stores. Been doing a lot of reading up on it. Pretty much good reviews. They do talk about the long trigger pull. Most people said it just takes time getting used to it.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Shortly here I'm going to pick up a G2C. I can get it for 250.00 at one of our local gun stores. Been doing a lot of reading up on it. Pretty much good reviews. They do talk about the long trigger pull. Most people said it just takes time getting used to it.
    it does take some time to get used to the trigger. by the time i got used to it, the trigger safety really got on my nerves. the trigger safety will work if you don't get proper finger placement.

after about 700 rnds through the g2c .40 and 500 throught the 9mm, i upgraded the trigs with asmunds. i just recently switched to keep tinkering triggers in both. both take a lot of the travel out of the trigger. asmund keeps the trigger safety intact but does away with restrike. kt does away with the trigger safety and you can keep the restrike depending on the model you choose.

the upgrade made a really good pistol into a great pistol.

Treel98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    Griffith IN
    Personally I really think they make a very solid revolver. With that being said I have seen enough issues with their semi auto guns that I wouldn't trust them. On one final note I've been looking at they're new 4 but until I see some more things out of them I'm not going to trust it.

Top Bottom