• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    If I discovered on of my friends keeping their firearm stored in such a jackassish way, I would not be able to hold back the flow of "stern education" that would fly from my mouth with great force and speed. I'm sure the officer frowned upon that as well, which is probably why your buddy got what he got. If everything was squared away in a respectful, responsible manner, things may have gone differently. Just my personal thoughts on the matter.

Yep that's got to be it, he was mad about the safety part of it, that's why he muzzle swept me..... Your handle may not be true.... I didn't come here for a lecture on holsters, just the actions of the officer and situation.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I would have to agree with this. Once he offered the trooper the option of retrieving it from the glove box he was giving his consent.

Im no layer, but this is my opinion as well. Generally, I try to be agreeable when dealing with police, but I DO NOT OFFER THEM ANYTHING
    Any time you interact with them, it is their job to look for anything that may be a reason to dig deeper. The more opportunity they are given, the deeper they will dig.bakn

Of course, I am speaking in general terms, as there are always going to be officers that couldnt care less about digging any deeper than is required to issue the ticket, and more on. But then, there are also those that look for the worlds larges Heroin trafficking, child smuggling bank robbery ring bust in history at every terry stop.

I find it best to not chum for sharks until I am out of the water.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I don't know how, when or why but at some point in police culture it became an unwritten rule that all firearms an officer encounters while on duty needed to be checked to make sure they weren't stolen. That is how I was trained initially and I did it for probably a year and a half before I thought to question the practice. I stopped doing it at that point and have since done what I can to shed some light on the practice for other officers.

I'm not saying it's right because I don't agree with it. I don't think many (maybe even most) officers have pondered whether it makes sense or is the right thing to do.

That's good to know. I know an individual who has been pulled over by ISP a few times recently and the troopers never even glanced at the firearm once told about it or seemed to care. Let's hope this will be the norm in the future.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I don't know how, when or why but at some point in police culture it became an unwritten rule that all firearms an officer encounters while on duty needed to be checked to make sure they weren't stolen. That is how I was trained initially and I did it for probably a year and a half before I thought to question the practice. I stopped doing it at that point and have since done what I can to shed some light on the practice for other officers.

I'm not saying it's right because I don't agree with it. I don't think many (maybe even most) officers have pondered whether it makes sense or is the right thing to do.

Thank you, you sound like you are a good guy. I am not one to bash cops and to be honest, this guy wasn't a jerk, just felt like we were being treated as criminals for a seat belt violation. Ive already sent a few texts to my friend about some of these things that were discussed in this thread and he will be changing his habits.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Thank you, you sound like you are a good guy. I am not one to bash cops and to be honest, this guy wasn't a jerk, just felt like we were being treated as criminals for a seat belt violation. Ive already sent a few texts to my friend about some of these things that were discussed in this thread and he will be changing his habits.

Isn't it a law that you must wear your seatbelt?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Im curious, How many stolen guns have you "found" during your year and a half of running numbers? Is it common for stolen guns to "be located" during police stop-n-run-the-numbers routine?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Im curious, How many stolen guns have you "found" during your year and a half of running numbers? Is it common for stolen guns to "be located" during police stop-n-run-the-numbers routine?

I've lost a couple of GPS units to thieves.. Perhaps they can start running serial #'s of portable GPS units too..

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Quite a few actually as VUPD mentioned and in spite of Yup's smart ass remarks. I still didn't (and don't) see that the end justifies the means.

Top Bottom