• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't run guns that tax paying folk have on them during a traffic stop. If I did that, my estimated percentage would be <1%. I also don't run many guns overall.

I'm betting there's more to it than this. VU, do you "run the numbers" for every traffic traffic stop as in the OP?

Nevermind.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I don't run guns that tax paying folk have on them during a traffic stop. If I did that, my estimated percentage would be <1%. I also don't run many guns overall.

What is the difference? How do you determine "tax paying folks"

Proper holster, CCW? Demeanor?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    It ain't that deep. I just mean that if a traffic stop is just a traffic stop, I'm not going to take your gun just to run it for grits and shiggles.
    SO what you are saying is that you arent a very humorous type person and get rare laughs? :laugh: I felt the need to be labeled a smart ass in this thread too, even though IT IS common knowledge! ;)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Thank you, you sound like you are a good guy. I am not one to bash cops and to be honest, this guy wasn't a jerk, just felt like we were being treated as criminals for a seat belt violation. Ive already sent a few texts to my friend about some of these things that were discussed in this thread and he will be changing his habits.

When an ISP officer threatens "It's a good thing you didn't reach for that gun or you would have had a Glock 40 in your ear"

then you're being treated like a criminal. Yes it happened to my husband, with myself and our two preteen daughters in the car. All because he was speeding.

I don't agree with running the serial number crap anymore than the next guy, let's not over dramatize it though that you were being treated like a criminal.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    There is nothing more to the story than what it is, I am a 33 year old run of the mill white boy. I have a couple of kids and don't leave the house much.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    There is nothing more to the story than what it is, I am a 33 year old run of the mill white boy. I have a couple of kids and don't leave the house much.

I think the take aways here are:

1. Wear your seatbelt, encourage others to do the same
    2. Use a holster, encourage others to do the same
    3. Do not give the officer permission to rummage through your stuff looking for your registration, have it available.
    4. Dont speed
    5. Complain to a supervisor if you feel you were treated unfairly, encourage others to do the same.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    I think the take aways here are:

1. Wear your seatbelt, encourage others to do the same
    2. Use a holster, encourage others to do the same
    3. Do not give the officer permission to rummage through your stuff looking for your registration, have it available.
    4. Dont speed
    5. Complain to a supervisor if you feel you were treated unfairly, encourage others to do the same.

The OP can't even do that because the stop had nothing to do with him. It's his "friend" that has to and evidently he can't think on his own.:dunno:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The OP can't even do that because the stop had nothing to do with him. It's his "friend" that has to and evidently he can't think on his own.:dunno:

I disagee. He was ON SCENE and was being detained momentarily while the officer conducted the stop. Sure he has a limited scope of what he can complain about, but getting swept by a handgun certainly was about him.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    I disagee. He was ON SCENE and was being detained momentarily while the officer conducted the stop. Sure he has a limited scope of what he can complain about, but getting swept by a handgun certainly was about him.

So he says. He types this big long paragraph about what allegedly happened and then the very last sentence, "Oh yeah, he swept me."

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    So he says.

I also do not believe you need to be involved in the stop to file a complaint. If you witness a cop doing something wrong, you can complain, you don't have to wait until you are the one who was wronged.

but if you're going to be THAT guy, you should also call and praise every time they do something right too. :)

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Hey Nick.. didnt mean to offend if I did, just sayin how I would have reacted if I were in your shoes. It wasnt intended as a lecture at all. The phrase "pick your battles" comes to my mind. As far as the muzzle sweep, dumb mistake? Yes.. would it upset me a bit? Sure... totally agree with you on that. Upset enough to make a beef with the guy's supervisor? Naw... not really. I would use the opportunity to rethink where I keep my firearm and/or documents and file it under "lessons learned."

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Where's Kirk?

Scope of the consent was to retrieve registration. Not to touch gun, move gun or even look at serial number. No PC to search car. Arguably no RS. No crime charged w/ re to the gun, so no suppression issue.

The mere presence of a gun does not give PC to search. All the more so since the driver was licensed to carry, therefore can carry a gun in the vehicle. Why the trooper would think the gun was possibly stolen in this scenario is beyond me. Did he let you run his firearm's SN? It too could have been stolen.

But w/o consent to coonfinger, I would say trooper exceeded his authority. I would file a complaint. But you'll probably get no satisfaction.

:twocents:

Last edited:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I would take more issue with being muzzled than anything else that happened....especially with an unsecured/unholsteted gun.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    So he says. He types this big long paragraph about what allegedly happened and then the very last sentence, "Oh yeah, he swept me."

You can take from my posts what you want, but I have no reason to lie. Thanks for your input, and I am glad you didn't have to be me for the fun lower leg sweep.

Top Bottom