• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You can take from my posts what you want, but I have no reason to lie. Thanks for your input, and I am glad you didn't have to be me for the fun lower leg sweep.

With it sitting loose in the glovebox, there's a good chance you've been swept before.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    You can take from my posts what you want, but I have no reason to lie. Thanks for your input, and I am glad you didn't have to be me for the fun lower leg sweep.

I'm sure that it was highly traumatic. You brought up everything else on the traffic that that "made you mad" to the officer, but you never commented to him about allegedly being swept?

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I'm sure that it was highly traumatic. You brought up everything else on the traffic that that "made you mad" to the officer, but you never commented to him about allegedly being swept?

Im glad you are so smart. I typed my original post with a bit of adrenaline. Just hate cops here. It had to be mentioned at some point, sorry for my sentence structure.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    With it sitting loose in the glovebox, there's a good chance you've been swept before.

it wasn't loose, it was sitting between too owners manuals. Somehow it has managed to not go off for 6 years. SMH

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012

Hows it going officer? You seem to have a hard on for me. I haven't posted on ingo for a long time do to your type. My guess is you pulled me over tonight.?

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the advice to the people that had it, especially the two cops that I have gained respect for. I will take a break again...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Unless there was a change in the IC code, you aren't allowed to ask for consent to search on a seat belt only stop. Since I stopped being a real cop and people seldom drive through my office, I haven't checked the new codes that went into affect in July that would be relevant.

If there's been no change, and unless there was another reason to remove the firearm that he could articulate, I don't see how it would be justified if it did turn out to be evidence.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    I was stopped by ISP for a broken taillight I didn't know about when I was in college. I informed the trooper that I had a gun in my car. He took it and the rest of my paperwork to his car. After about ten minutes, county and local units arrived to "assist". Apparently, my gun was stolen. The only thing that kept me out of jail that night was my receipt from when I purchased it.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I was stopped by ISP for a broken taillight I didn't know about when I was in college. I informed the trooper that I had a gun in my car. He took it and the rest of my paperwork to his car. After about ten minutes, county and local units arrived to "assist". Apparently, my gun was stolen. The only thing that kept me out of jail that night was my receipt from when I purchased it.

Another mighty fine reason to not inform.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

You carry your gun receipt around with you like your LTCH? :scratch: hmmm...

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Where's Kirk?

Scope of the consent was to retrieve registration. Not to touch gun, move gun or even look at serial number. No PC to search car. Arguably no RS. No crime charged w/ re to the gun, so no suppression issue.

The mere presence of a gun does not give PC to search. All the more so since the driver was licensed to carry, therefore can carry a gun in the vehicle. Why the trooper would think the gun was possibly stolen in this scenario is beyond me. Did he let you run his firearm's SN? It too could have been stolen.

But w/o consent to coonfinger, I would say trooper exceeded his authority. I would file a complaint. But you'll probably get no satisfaction.

:twocents:
    Those were my thoughts too. 1) I thought when a LEO ran a plate in Indiana it would show if the owner had a LTCH. If the owner of the piece had a valid license to carry then no further action should be justified. 2) The driver was being thoughtful/cautious in informing LE that there was a firearm in the glove box with the registration so don't freak out. 3) If the officer had taken control of the pistol in the interest of "Officer safety" that could be understood but not to just run it for a stolen gun check.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't run guns that tax paying folk have on them during a traffic stop. If I did that, my estimated percentage would be <1%. I also don't run many guns overall.

I'm confused. Are you saying you don't run guns in normal stops? Reading between the lines do you just run those that you find in "interesting" situations where you have PC to believe that all isn't above board?

Top Bottom