• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Over the course of the past 3 years, I've contacted every last lever action manufacturer I could think of requesting this exact rifle, a 16" carbine in .327 Federal magnum.
    Several companies I emailed and wrote letters.

Henry was the only company to respond, and they said, "...we have no plans to produce such a rifle at this time."

Discouraged, but not defeated, I went looking for a host rifle to be re-chambered to .327.
    The only ones I could find were out of my price range for the rifle itself, without considering the re-work costs.
    I had all but resolved myself to the idea that I was not going to find my lever action .327.

Now Henry throws me a curve-ball, but I'm ready!

I emailed Henry President Anthony Imperato 2 days ago to tell them thanks.
    I received a very nice reply yesterday telling me I was more than welcome, and thanked me for being a Henry customer.

I can hardly wait for March.

Mister Imperato is a breath of fresh air in the gun industry.
    He single-handedly turned Henry from a company best known for its mediocre quality AR-7 survival rifle and little else, into a major player in the rifle market, dramatically improving the look and quality of their products, and proudly heralding his company as American.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Maybe I'm telling you something that you already know, or maybe you live in a state that allows calibers in the .327 category, but rifles in this caliber aren't currently legal for deer in Indiana.
    Handguns yes, but not rifles.

I am looking a couple of years ahead, I hope.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I would have already ordered one, but their website says the first one's (.327's) ship out beginning March.
    Hard or not, not much choice but to wait...
    I have put in an order with my LGS to keep watching and the moment they see them available, I want one.

I have five revolvers in this caliber, one I carry ll the time, the LCR. I too have been emailing and even writing actual pen and paper letters to every lever gun maker I could think of asking for this to happen, I am really excited. :spend::runaway:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I am looking a couple of years ahead, I hope.

It's likely that you'll get your wish when we high-powered rifle hunters demonstrate that we're not irresponsible with our now legal artillery after the five season trial period ends and the DNR at that time reviews whether to keep the law as written for the trial period (unlikely), scales the law back to only allow handgun calibers for rifles (much less likely), or expands the law very simply by allowing all calibers currently legal in handguns (likely), i.e. 1.16" minimum case length and .243 minimum bore diameter, with no limitations beyond that, which would instantly make your Henry .327 legal, not to mention just about any other centerfire rifle caliber.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I bought some jacketed bullets for the 32-20, need to get the test going where I'll see how high I can get the 32-20 to go in the 1892 Winchester. I would bet it will be as high or higher than the .327 for the same bullet weight.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Pew-pew huh?
    The .327 Federal magnum rivals the .357mag at short range.
    It actually outdoes the .38spl+P in muzzle velocity and ft/lbs of energy.
    The .327 Federal magnum can produce chamber pressures up to 45,000psi, and exceed 1500fps from a 3" barrel.
    According to Ballistics by the inch, the diminutive .327Fed/mag can exceed 2000fps from a 16" barrel.

It will never be a long range gun, or an elk/moose gun, but the property that I have to hunt deer on would be perfect for this little bugger.
    The 327 is not a legal Indiana deer hunting caliber. Most people want 1,000ft-lbs for a deer, so you can shoot at different angles and ensure thorough penetration while delivering the organ damaging hydrostatic shock that energy provides...if you're interested in ethical hunting (quick humane kills) and all that jazz.

Check out the link below, 44 magnum throws a 225gr bullet at 1880fps out of an 18" carbine lever gun...that is 1766ft-lbs at the muzzle. Sight in for 100 yards, where it still carries 1002ft-lbs of energy, and it is 1.15" high at 50yds, and only 5.51" low at 150yds.

Using the HIGHEST velocity in your ballistics by the inch table (linked below) shows a 100grain bullet at 2186fps out of an 18" barrel...that is a whopping 1061ft-lbs AT THE MUZZLE. The 44 magnum has that energy at 90 yards.

So yes, it's a "pew-pew" cartridge out of a rifle. You're better off getting a 44 and loading 180gr bullets down to about 1/2 its output capability if you want something much less potent. Brass and bullets are also much more plentiful with a 44.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 44 Mag :: 44 Mag 225 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .327 Mag Results

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The 327 is not a legal Indiana deer hunting caliber. Most people want 1,000ft-lbs for a deer, so you can shoot at different angles and ensure thorough penetration while delivering the organ damaging hydrostatic shock that energy provides...if you're interested in ethical hunting (quick humane kills) and all that jazz.

Check out the link below, 44 magnum throws a 225gr bullet at 1880fps out of an 18" carbine lever gun...that is 1766ft-lbs at the muzzle. Sight in for 100 yards, where it still carries 1002ft-lbs of energy, and it is 1.15" high at 50yds, and only 5.51" low at 150yds.

Using the HIGHEST velocity in your ballistics by the inch table (linked below) shows a 100grain bullet at 2186fps out of an 18" barrel...that is a whopping 1061ft-lbs AT THE MUZZLE. The 44 magnum has that energy at 90 yards.

So yes, it's a "pew-pew" cartridge out of a rifle. You're better off getting a 44 and loading 180gr bullets down to about 1/2 its output capability if you want something much less potent. Brass and bullets are also much more plentiful with a 44.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 44 Mag :: 44 Mag 225 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .327 Mag Results

I know the .327 is not currently legal for deer in Indiana.
    I'm looking ahead a couple of years.
    According to the BBI chart you referenced, the .327, from a 16" barrel, shooting the Federal 100gr pill, will just barely exceed 1000flbs of energy.

I've been hunting whitetail in Indiana for more than 30 years, and in all of that time I've lost exactly 1 deer, and that was the very first deer I ever hit with an arrow.
    I know what an ethical shot is, and don't really appreciate the insinuation that I don't care.

The property that I have permission to hunt on is incredibly small. Due to the terrain and the foliage, I'm restricted to a shot no longer than about 60 yards.
    Two years ago I took 2 doe in one setting, and the longer shot of the 2 was about 45 FEET!

I've never had a deer run more than about 40 yards before crashing, so I'd say those were pretty clean shots.

I know my limitations, and that of my firearms.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is, so far, the only place I can find these listed.
    The page does say being listed does not mean it is stock, but this is the sole listing I could locate.

HENRY REPEATING ARMS BIG BOY STEEL 327 FEDERAL MAGNUM - HNH012M327 - H012M327 - UPC:619835200143 - Lipseys.com

I changed my mind already. Decided to go with the regular Big Boy steel instead of the carbine.
    It's still only a 20" barrel, it only weighs 1/2lb more than the carbine, and it holds 10 rounds instead of 7.
    Same price, and I can walk with my arm extended straight down holding my 20" barreled 1894 and I have 3" clearance to the ground.

Does Lipsey's ONLY carry exclusive offerings?
    Would these Henry's be only available through Lipsey's, at least initially?

I didn't see any extras that would constitute an "exclusive" offer, unless they are only available here.
    Regardless, I have a Lipsey's dealer on the hunt on my behalf...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If it's on par with the .41 Magnum I just broke in this weekend, you guys are gonna be very happy.

When I first read your post, I read, "If it's on par with the .41 Magnum I broke this weekend...", and thought, Why would I be happy with THAT?

I started to ask what happened, then saw the "in" and all was well again.
    I have high regards for the Henry company.
    I'm hoping it's on par with the quality of my other Henry's.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Pew-pew huh?

It will never be a long range gun, or an elk/moose gun, but the property that I have to hunt deer on would be perfect for this little bugger.

Correct me if I error, but I do not think rifles in .327 are legal to use for deer hunting in Indiana, private or public? are not .243, .308 and .358 the only private land legal calibers and .358" and larger x 1.8" the only legal public land calibers?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Still waiting on mine.
    They are now shipping, so I'm hoping I'll see it in the next few weeks.
    I have cases, projectiles, powder, and primers. I just need the rifle...

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I love my 2 .44mag lever guns. Great woods deer rifle. And was considering a .357 as well. I'm perplexed as to why someone would choose a .327 over a .357 when rounds are so abundant in .357 and 38 special, and you could load them however you wanted. And the recoil on a .357 lever gun is nothing. Not knocking. Just inquiring. Maybe some could educate me without flaming please.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I love my 2 .44mag lever guns. Great woods deer rifle. And was considering a .357 as well. I'm perplexed as to why someone would choose a .327 over a .357 when rounds are so abundant in .357 and 38 special, and you could load them however you wanted. And the recoil on a .357 lever gun is nothing. Not knocking. Just inquiring. Maybe some could educate me without flaming please.

Not choosing over the .357.
    I already have a lever action .357, and a .44, and a .454, and a .30-30... but I don't currently have a .327 lever gun.
    Variety is the spice of life.

Top Bottom