• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The BBTI data suggest that the .327 fed mag from a 16" barrel is approaching 300blackout from a short barrel. 100gr bullet at 2150fps for the .327 Fed, where 300black with a 110gr TTSX is around 2000fps in a shorter barrel.

And at 16" I think the 300blk is only a 100 or so FPS faster.

It sure seems to me like the 327 fed in a lever gun is sort of an Old West spin on a modern 300blk carbine.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The BBTI data suggest that the .327 fed mag from a 16" barrel is approaching 300blackout from a short barrel. 100gr bullet at 2150fps for the .327 Fed, where 300black with a 110gr TTSX is around 2000fps in a shorter barrel.

And at 16" I think the 300blk is only a 100 or so FPS faster.

It sure seems to me like the 327 fed in a lever gun is sort of an Old West spin on a modern 300blk carbine.

That's a pretty fair comparison. Where the .300 BO pulls significantly ahead is with ability to use the wide variety of available .308 bullets. The .327 is far more limited in bullet selection and even worse, IMO, most of them were designed for .32 H&R maximum velocities.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That's a pretty fair comparison. Where the .300 BO pulls significantly ahead is with ability to use the wide variety of available .308 bullets. The .327 is far more limited in bullet selection and even worse, IMO, most of them were designed for .32 H&R maximum velocities.

True, but 300BO suffers from some of the same problems. Very few projectiles (the 110 TSX among them) were actually designed for the comparably slow velocities of 300BO. Most are designed for nothing slower than a 30-30 speed range, with .308 or faster being far more common IMO.

I see it as a recurring problem today-- many "tweener" cartridges are either vastly overspeeding pistol bullets or putting rifle bullets out well below their intended operating range. This is especially acute with big bore ARs, but it's a problem for many new cartridges.

Which is worse? It's probably worse to overspeed a pistol bullet and induce bullet failure rather than underspeed a rifle bullet and just have ice-picking and poor expansion.

Neither problem is insurmountable. If projectiles are properly designed for the speed range, there's no reason you can't get excellent performance across a wide range of speeds.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'd definitely rather err on the side of too little expansion than over expansion, at least with poor expansion you will get penetration. With the sustained popularity of the .300 BO, I think we will begin to see things change with more options targeted for that velocity range. Until then we do at least have the option of using the wonderful TSX or even bullets intended as varmint bullets for larger .308 cartridges. If only Barnes would introduce a .32 caliber bullet suitable for the .327 I'd be a happy camper but I don't see the .327 becoming popular enough to warrant increased bullet development for it any time soon.

Top Bottom